It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2005, 03:43 PM   #1
(female)

SangReal HB User
I feel like crap! - elevated pulse

Okay, so I've been feeling this way for about a month now. My pulse is very high, like 110 or 115 at rest. I'm really worried about this. Is this normal? My blood pressure's up a little, but not ridiculous. I feel hot all the time. And I have trouble sleeping at night. I'm also having a little trouble breathing, nothing serious, just feeling like it's a struggle to breathe sometimes but not like asthma or anything.

I've been on Synthroid (levothyroxine) for about three months. I was originally taking it at the same time as I took my BC pill, but I moved my BC pill to evenings about a month ago to avoid interactions.

I thought that my pulse was kind of a concern, so I went to the doctor and told her I thought I was taking too much levothyroxine. So she took a TSH, but she's also making me wear an ECG for 24 hours, b/c she wants to see how my heart is doing. Sigh. TSH is not going to TELL her anything, but she says T4 is useless after synthroid is started. I dunno. Just thought I'd ask for your opinions?

Mary

Last edited by SangReal; 06-06-2005 at 08:46 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2005, 04:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Re: I feel like crap!

That does seem like a high pulse. Did you check it after resting for 20 minutes? Blood pressure can be high in hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism.

I do not understand why they are just looking at the TSH. That is not right.

The Ft4 and Ft3 are suppose to be the guidance once you are on a t4 med. I am sorry but it seems they don't know very much about thyroid disorders.

Please let us know what happens, and don't be scared.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2005, 11:45 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

Have you been tested for food allergies? I have read there is a connection with thyeoid and food allergies. I have just been diagnosed with food allergies, though I have yet to be diagnosed with a thyroid problem. Now that I am in the process of eliminating foods, I noticed my fast heartbeat that has plagued me for a while has slowed down.

btw I had no digestive symptoms to the food allergies, just some sinus symptoms and constant "brain fog"

Old 06-03-2005, 04:06 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

pixiek HB User

Hi both of you. Just have to say here that I THOUGHT I had food allergies, too. Turns out that I need some replacement meds and now my food allergies have all but disappeared. Just a thought...might need to work a bit on your dosing instead? Sneezydiva, also brain fog may indicated that your optimal numbers have yet to be met...

Old 06-03-2005, 04:46 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

Well unfortunately for me, I haven't even been diagnosed with a thyroid problem. My labs are "normal" according to my primary doctor. I have a history of pollen allergies and sinusitis, and food allergy tests came back positive. I see an immonologist next week. I am hoping among other things, that he will retest my thyroid function. Everything I read about worsening allergies indicates a thyroid/adrenal connection. Hopefully, I'll get some answers soon.

Old 06-07-2005, 10:05 AM   #6
(female)

SangReal HB User
Re: I feel like crap! - elevated pulse

Quote:
Originally Posted by SangReal
I thought that my pulse was kind of a concern, so I went to the doctor and told her I thought I was taking too much levothyroxine. Still, she made me wear a heart monitor.
Labs are back. Guess what? Bet you can't guess. She says I'm way overdosed on levothyroxine. Duh. Didn't I SAY that? Why won't my doctor trust me and run the test I want her to run? My TSH was - get this - 0.01! No wonder I felt like a mess. Anyway, just thought I'd let you guys know my heart's okay.

Mary

Last edited by SangReal; 06-07-2005 at 10:06 AM.

Old 06-08-2005, 03:25 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

pixiek HB User

Watch out for the TSH results...once you are on meds the FT4, FT3 are better indication on condition ...that and how you feel...my TSH is 0.05 and I feel not to bad! My doctor is not concerned at all! But, that being said, synthroid is not for me (only T4) as the T4 is too much for me and I need T3...so I start Armour japanese style tomorrow!

I need to add this: on syn. percent wise with in the lab ranges my t4 went up much more than my T3 and that is how we felt I may have a conversion problem. I had so much T4 and not enought T3 that I was getting some hyper symptoms including shaking hands, and yes, fast heart beat at times for no apparent reason...Be sure to get those free Ts checked and calculate where you are percent wise....that was my ace in the hole!

Last edited by pixiek; 06-08-2005 at 06:16 AM.

Old 06-08-2005, 05:32 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

Yay Pixie, I am happy you are getting your Armour and that you have an understanding doctor.

Old 06-08-2005, 05:34 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SangReal
Labs are back. Guess what? Bet you can't guess. She says I'm way overdosed on levothyroxine. Duh. Didn't I SAY that? Why won't my doctor trust me and run the test I want her to run? My TSH was - get this - 0.01! No wonder I felt like a mess. Anyway, just thought I'd let you guys know my heart's okay.

Mary
[/color][/font][/size]
Mary did you have hand tremors and nervousness with the levothyroxine? That is what I have if I get a bit hyper of taking too much medicine.

Old 06-08-2005, 11:00 AM   #10
(female)

SangReal HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady50
Mary did you have hand tremors and nervousness with the levothyroxine? That is what I have if I get a bit hyper of taking too much medicine.
Actually, I was! I was killing fruit flies left and right under a microscope because I couldn't control my hands. I failed a lab exercise because of it. Can you imagine dissecting fruit fly ovaries while your hands are shaking?

As for the nervousness, I found myself pacing, I had trouble sleeping, and I was always catching myself grinding my teeth.

Do you think that adjusting my dose down from 50 mcg to 25 mcg because my TSH went from 32.71 to .01 in three months is reasonable? I was thinking maybe 37.5. She says, well maybe if 25 is not enough, we'll retest you in six weeks and see where you are. But I can't stand being hypo. I would rather have a racing heart and trouble sleeping than not being able to get out of bed.

Sigh. Doctors. What are you gonna do?

Mary

Old 06-08-2005, 04:48 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

pixiek HB User

Just a few ideas: Maybe you need a different brand of T4 or perhaps natural thyroid like Armour would work? Sounds like at least somewhere between the 25 and 50 would be good....can you 3/4 the pill somehow? Also I have read that hand tremors may be a sign of adrenal fatigue. You might want to look up on that a bit.

Old 06-08-2005, 06:06 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes Pixie, I have heard that hand tremors can be a sign of adrenal fatigue.

If you have constant hand tremors, that can also be hyperthyroid.

Old 06-08-2005, 07:53 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

pixiek HB User

Yes, that is true as I am a Graves survivor...though my doctors thought I had stomach cancer and sent me for a camera down my throat.....

Closed Thread