It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2005, 03:00 PM   #1
(female)

hebbie HB User
FNA with ultrasound

I am having a FNA with ultrasound tomorrow. Is this better/worse than a regular FNA? The doctor said they would not numb me and that I would just feel "a little poke". Okay...from everthing I have read from anyone who has had a FNA done, it hurts like "you know what". So...any advice to make it less painful, more tolerable, etc??? I am trying to not be anxious about it, but I honestly am pretty freaked out about it. Any encouragement or advice would be sooo appreciated. Thanks.
Heather

Old 06-02-2005, 04:52 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

MDA HB User
Re: FNA with ultrasound

I have had a couple FNA and it really is not that bad. I think that the more you tense up, the more it will hurt. Just relax, and know that it will be over in just a few minutes. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2005, 05:01 PM   #3
(female)

worstpatient HB User

I had an ultrasound guided fine needle aspiration last year and was petrified and actually went into a crying fit when I got on the table because my endo had told me I would get 10 needles in each side of my neck since I have multi nodules. I was reassured by the technicians that it was true and would not be as bad as I made it seem. Again, no medication..just a slight numbing solution applied to my neck. As my head hung off the table I tensed up with fear. Before I knew it, the FNA was done and I hardly felt anything. Just a little pinch every so often...no where near the discomfort I had feared. I felt like a fool afterward because I had carried on so much. I swear to you, you will hardly know it's being done. Very, very slight discomfort and I was fine afterward. They do tell you you may have some bruises and I think I had one or two small ones, but nothing that noticeable. Don't get yourself worked up..it's not worth it...you will do fine...they are such tiny needles, it's like a pin *****. I was also told by the technicians that if I had any discomfort I could tell them to stop the procedure at any time. No discomfort, and it was over before I knew it. If you have had an ultrasound on your thyroid (I have had many) you will know there is absolutely NO discomfort to that. The ultrasound just guides the technician doing the biopsy as to the location of the goiters.

Old 06-02-2005, 05:31 PM   #4
(female)

hebbie HB User

Thanks so much for your words of encouragement. I can relate to your apprehension "worstpatient". I pictured myself going in and passing out. At least if that happened I wouldn't feel anything...lol. I feel a bit better now and hopefully it will be very uneventful.

Old 06-02-2005, 09:03 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

merrillin HB User

hebbie,
I just wanted to reassure you that it would be fine. The ultra sound just helps out so they can see.

The worst part for me was getting the lidocaine shot to numb my neck. It was over pretty fast and I did have some bruising, but who cares, as long as the procedure is over. The anticipation is really the worst part. Best of luck and do let us know how it goes........

Karen

Old 06-03-2005, 07:54 AM   #6
(female)

hebbie HB User

Thanks, Karen. I don't think they are going to give me a numbing shot. I will ask for that numbing creme that the others talked about, though. I will update later. My appt is at 11:00am MT.
Heather

Closed Thread