It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2005, 08:07 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

mispy HB User
Question Are these labs normal (even though I fell like crap)?

My previous posts stated that I have a nodule (actually 2) small ones.
THe fna showed that it was most likele an adenoma. Scan showed normal thyroid function with somewhat diminished function in the nodule.
Dr. wants me to remove the nodule.
Even though I feel my numbers may be off a bit because I feel lousy (wooziness, palps, vision problems, tinniutus, sluggishness, insomnia) dr. does not believe that it is from my thyroid because numbers are in range. Here they are:
TSH 1.76 range: 0.40-5.50 mU/L
T4, total 9.9 range 4.5-12.0 ug/DL
T3, uptake 33.0 range 27.8- 40.7 Percent
T4, free calculated 3.27 range 1.53- 3.85 units

two months ago my tsh was 2.01.

can anyone decipher these results and tell me if I may have a problem??

Old 06-03-2005, 11:01 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

OraEtLabora HB User
Re: Are these labs normal (even though I fell like crap)?

I hate it when docs insist that it isn't your thyroid because the few tests they are running are "normal." First of all, what's normal for you might be quite different from what's normal for the selected group of people who make up the "reference range." (some of whom in that have been found subsequently to have undiagnosed thyroid disease themselves, yet were assumed to be "normal."). Second of all, your doc hasn't run every thyroid test that should be run to definitively rule out thyroid disease. For example, many people with "normal" results like yours have very high thyroid antibodies, which can make them very ill, with the symptoms you describe. I had such "normal" results as yours, with debilitating symptoms, and until I demanded thyroid antibodies, (which turned out to be higher than the lab could even measure), no one realized I had severe thyroiditis, despite my symptoms and swollen, sore thyroid gland.

So, until your doc does more testing, like thyroid antibodies, like Free T3 and Free T4 (this is what your body actually has to use, so even if the totals are "normal" your body might not have enough free hormone to actually use - and you won't know that your free hormones are low or high until they are tested).

Do some reading, and find out what tests SHOULD be run to effectively dx thyroid disease. Then, ask for those tests, and if your doc won't so them, find a doc who will.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

OraEtLabora

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread