It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2005, 10:10 AM   #1
(female)

MikeysWifey0316 HB User
Possible Hypothyroidism??? Need help!

My mom has always said she thought I had a thyroid disorder. I'm adopted, so I don't know any medical history. But, I've always struggled with weight, sleepiness, depression, mood swings, etc. The doc tested for thyroid disorders a few years ago, and said he found nothing. He diagnosed me w/ Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) in November of 2004. He then put me on metphormine (1000 mg per day) to help with this. So far, nothing is better. At the end of April 2005, I was diagnosed with sleep apnea. Iím so exhausted all the time that functioning is getting harder and harder. It takes about all that I have to get through an 8-hour workday. Iím so frustrated right now. And I'm pretty depressed, which doesn't help anything. My weight is out of control. I think Iím currently at about 260lbs, Iím 5í3Ē tall, and Iím 24 years old. The doc says my testosterone levels are up, (says its a symptom of PCOS). This has lead to dark upper lip hair, receipting hairline, stray hairs on my chin and chest, and painful acne. So needless to say, Iím feeling pretty ďunfeminineĒ & ugly lately. My self esteem wasnít that great to begin with, but its just gone downhill with all of this. Iím struggling with the Apnea bigtime, can't seem to get used to the mask. What I'm wondering is, maybe this isn't PCOS? I was looking on about.com at Thyroid disorders. I answered yes to 29 out of 39 on the symptoms checklist for Hypothyroidism. Does anyone else think that is a pretty high ratio??? I requested all of my med records from the doc so that I can see what the actual test results showed. But I saw that Hypothyroidism causes sleepiness, loss of focus, and all kinds of other stuff that PCOS and Sleep Apnea cause. I guess I am just looking for some opinions on this. I love my doctor, but maybe I need to change? What specialty would I need to see?? Any suggestions or advice? Sorry, I just need a little help and guidance. I don't know anyone who is going through these types of problems, so no one in my family or friends understands what I'm going through. I'm so glad I found this board!!!

Last edited by MikeysWifey0316; 06-15-2005 at 02:10 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2005, 04:15 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

pixiek HB User
Re: Possible Hypothyroidism??? Need help!

HI! Welcome to the board! So sorry you are not feeling well! We have been and many still are in your position, so hang here with us.

I don't know everything, but here is what I think (at least): Yes, it very well may be a thyroid problem and you need to be tested soon. But tests interpretation can be tricky and here is why: many doctors will tell you your numbers are "normal". And in fact they may well be in the "normal range" or just slightly out...or even a lot out...but please know that everyone's normal, optimal numbers are different. What may be "normal labs" for one, may be horrible for another.

If you have so many of the symptoms on the list, do get tested. You need to test for FT3, FT4 and TSH and also for antibodies for the autoimmune diseases Hashimotos, and even Graves. You will need a caring, understanding doctor. If it is a thyroid problem you will need to take charge of yourself and read and educated youself about this condition...most likely you will be in for the long haul, but with propper treatment you can be feeling, and looking a lot better...it does take time.

Many conditions do have similar symptoms to hypo...I believe sleep apnea is also a symptom of hypo. Even ovarian cysts...many more. The route cause may be your thyroid...start there, in my humble opinion.....You may also want to test the usual GYN visit hormones, your ferritin levels and blood sugars, cholesterol....hope this is not too much all at once! Once you have your lab results, if you like, you can post them here, and many of the fine people, can help you figure them all out if you wish. Hope this helps...

Last edited by pixiek; 06-03-2005 at 04:20 PM.

Old 06-03-2005, 05:05 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

shellshocked HB User

Hi MikeysWife---
I'm adopted too. All I know is that my birth mother was from Oregon---but we don't know where. She may have been downwind of the Hanford Nuclear Reservation---and I was born in '56----about the time that they had some significant releases of radiation. Plus thyroid problems run in families. I'm considering petitioning for health records of my biological parents.
I've got sleep apnea---I know the masks are hard to get used to---but when I first started on my CPAP machine I lost 12 pounds in two weeks. The REM sleep allows your body to repair itself at the cellular level. I'm sure all that time without the mask only wore my thyroid and the rest of my body out.
Don't give up hope. Ask your doctor if he knows there are new levels for thyroid? Lots of people on the boards know quite a bit about it.
I've experienced all the stuff you have---it sounds like you're on the right track---I waited too long expecting someone to take me seriously.
Good luck---I hope you can find some answers so you can plan how to attack the problem.

Old 06-09-2005, 09:11 AM   #4
(female)

MikeysWifey0316 HB User

Ok. I got my chart today. And its pretty safe to say I'm a little frustrated. Maybe I don't have reason to be, but I am. I don't know if this is a thyroid disorder. All I can tell by my notes is that my doctor (who I believe is a good person, but questioning physician ability) is very, VERY vague in his documentation. Which can't be good from one visit to the next. But, the test results are in there. I have trouble reading them. But, I do know from research I've done on thyroid problems that TSH is the test most often done. He only ordered this one on me one time, back in October of 2004. It shows 1.75 uIU/mL... ??? That is with in the normal range shown on the result sheet. But, what is aggravating me, is the testosterone levels. He says I have PCOS, which, one of the problems with that is high testosterone. (I've read this can also mean thyroid problems). Well, he put me on meds back in October to help this. So, the testosterone level in October was 72. High for a woman, but in the normal range. In January, it was 65. A little better. In April, it was 78. That is quite a jump isn't it? I'm sorry, I might be posting this to the wrong board. But I'm so tired of feeling this way. Are there any other results I need to be looking at? There are no tests shown for T3 or anything like that. I think I need a different doctor. But how do I change? And how do I know the one I'm changing to is a good one? Sorry, this is long... I feel bad for being such a whiner, but I'm at the end of my rope here. Anyone with any advice or kind words is appreciated.

Old 06-09-2005, 09:15 AM   #5
(female)

MikeysWifey0316 HB User

I just found where he did test the TSH one other time. Back in 2001. It was 2.24 uIU/mL...

Old 06-09-2005, 09:44 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

dlkk HB User

MikeysWifey-
TSH isn't the only way to find out if you have a thyroid problem. As for me I have always had a normal TSH (with and without meds), however I have very low free t levels and elevated TPO's (hashi's). I also had a goiter and have a nodule on my thyroid. I would suggest that you get retested. Get TSH, Free t4, Free t3 and TPO's.

Old 06-09-2005, 12:41 PM   #7
(female)

MikeysWifey0316 HB User

I just called and left a message for my doctor's nurse. I said that I would like a more complete thyroid study done. I made sure to say I know he tested the TSH, but from what I've researched, there are more tests that can be done. We'll see. If she calls back and is hateful to me, I think I'll probably cry, then find a new doctor. Right now I'm just really tense. I think everything is starting to get to me. I guess I'll keep you posted. Don't know if anyone is really wanting to keep up w/ my little problems... But oh well. Thanks!

Old 06-09-2005, 01:03 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

dlkk HB User

Hang in there. If your doctor refuses to do further testing, you can get tested on your own. There are online sites that you can order test from. I have done this and was very pleased with the service.

Old 06-09-2005, 01:07 PM   #9
(female)

MikeysWifey0316 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlkk
Hang in there. If your doctor refuses to do further testing, you can get tested on your own. There are online sites that you can order test from. I have done this and was very pleased with the service.
That is really good info to know dlkk. Thanks!!!

Old 06-09-2005, 03:28 PM   #10
(female)

TigerLynn47 HB User
Can taking Synthyroid make you bigger???

I know it sounds strange, but I started on Synthyroid 125 mcg. 5 years ago and at first I lost weight....within the first 6 months...but shortly after that I have gained every year....and now, I am up 20 pounds and taking synthyroid daily. My dr. says thats impossible to gain weight on thyroid med, but I am. I feel puffy all the time when I am on it...and when I am off it, the puffyness goes away, but not the weight. What do you think is going on??? How is Armour so different than the Synthyroid?? I have heard some people just dont react the way they should to the synthetics as they do to the Armour.
I freeze, lack of energy, fatigued all the time and gain weight by just looking at a Carrot! Seriously! Anyone have an explanation of whats going on...I am turning 47 next month and understand that alot of this might be the perimenopause thing. But still, taking thyroid medication should make you feel better and give you energy.

thanks
Terri

Old 06-09-2005, 11:36 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

pixiek HB User

Hi Teri. I just switch from Synthroid to Armour only two days ago after reading so many positive things about it. I did not do so well on Synthroid either...50 to 75 for two months only, but it was a rought two months! Now I am only on day two, but I do feel a difference....It is probably the T3 in it at least...natural, and the other little stuff as well....gosh, I think it would not hurt to try! You have your whole life, what is a few weeks experiement...that is what I am doing anyway...hope it keeps going well for me! I am 46...got a life to live yet...I am not going to mess around...also, sounds like you still have hypo symptoms...you may not be optimal for YOU...that is although you are in the lab ranges, you are not at the perfect nmbers where you feel best....hope this helps!

Last edited by pixiek; 06-09-2005 at 11:37 PM.

Old 06-10-2005, 08:50 AM   #12
(female)

MikeysWifey0316 HB User

I still haven't heard back from the docs office on getting more tests. I had such severe anxiety yesterday. My chest was tight and breathing was pretty hard and painful all afternoon. Then, last night before bed, I had a major IBS attack. Which, I haven't had one of those in a long time. And I did some crying. Most of that was because of my parents though. I went to their house yesterday. I talked to my mom about all of this. She is the one that has always said she thought it was my thyroid. Then my dad came in the house and he joined in the conversation. They both think all of my health problems are because I have a desk job, don't get enough exercise, and don't eat enough veggies and fruit. I could just scream. If I felt like I could, and I thought it would fix why I feel like crap, trust me, I would be out there exercising every darn day. And they don't live with me. I'm 25 years old. How do they know what I do and don't eat?!?! Sorry, but this just kind topped the day off yesterday. I kind of get the impression that they think I'm trying to find a way out with out diet and exercise. Yes, I am obese. Probably morbidly. They think my weight is causing my health problems. I think there is a health problem causing my weight. Is that so wrong? Sorry, I just feel pretty crappy right now about all of this. I think something is wrong. But, in the back of my mind, I keep thinking there probably isn't. Its just my luck. I'm sure its my fault. Thats a pretty negative attitude, but it's kind of how I'm feeling lately.... I hope my doctor sees what I'm seeing in these symptoms. Thank God my husband believes me. He can't really sympathize, but he knows what I'm feeling, and supports me. Thanks for letting me vent here. Hope everyone has a good Friday.

Old 06-10-2005, 01:26 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

dlkk HB User

Quote:
They think my weight is causing my health problems. I think there is a health problem causing my weight. Is that so wrong?
It's such a vicious cycle. Both statements can be true, you just need to find out how to get better. Your parents are not really wrong, they mean well, just listen to them and thank them for their advice. Concentrate on yourself and getting yourself well. It sounds like you have a good hubby that supports you that's a good thing. I have a good hubby too that has supported me through this thyroid thing.

Keep looking up things will get better.

Old 06-10-2005, 01:53 PM   #14
(female)

MikeysWifey0316 HB User

dlkk,
I guess I know that they mean well, but they have no tact in talking about it. They also don't know how much affect the things they say have on me. They are really bad about thinking I don't know anything b/c I'm too young. Plus, I always get the line "stress didn't even exsist when I was a kid." or "you don't have any reason to stress, you dont know what its like". I guess its just hard not having anyone that understands. The hardest part is that they treat me as though nothing is wrong and I'm making it all up in my head. Then they act annoyed if I bring anything up about not feeling good or something. If I yawn in front of them dad says I need to work more in the day and get up earlier in the morning. Sorry, I could go on this rant for hours. I guess I just need to get over it and not worry about them. But words hurt sometimes. But I really appreciate your post! You're always very encouraging.... That is what I need!

Closed Thread