It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2005, 11:02 AM   #1
(female)

batmom2918 HB User
Help, more confused now

that I saw the doctor. He said my scan was normal and I do not have Graves or nodules. He said I probably have a Toxic adenoma. That is very small and not showing up on the scan.
Well I read up on this and it keeps saying that my other levels will be off. THe only thing is my TSH at .15. the other T's were in normal ranges.
HE wants me to start methmazole? Because he said the long term effects of being mildly hyper.

TSH .15(.35-5.50)
Total T3 130 (79-149)
free T4 .97(.71-1.85)

Jen

Old 06-03-2005, 01:32 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Changedusername HB User
Re: Help, more confused now

That doctor is an IDIOT!

First of all, you should in no way be on Meth as its a thyroid SUPRESSOR and your T4 is extremely low normal. You do not want it to go lower. You will be extremely hypo on thyroid blockers and it will probably do nothing for your TSH because your thyroid is probably not the problem.

Next - he IS missing something. You need to get a pituitary MRI with contrast. With that low (HYPOthyroid) T4, your TSH should be a lot higher. They should be able to see just about any tumor on the pituitary, even if its small.

You have a problem with communication somewhere in the system. Either your hypothalamus is not talking to your pituitary gland or your pituitary is not talking to your thyroid properly and you need to find out why. I would think the end result would end up being a pituitary adenoma if anything which can be surgically removed.

If you think about the process, something is not right. TSH rises due to input from the pituitary. When the body does not have enough hormone the pituitary is stimulated by the hypothalamus which sends a signal to the thyroid to increase production. Your pituitary is saying "ok, Mr. Thyroid, we have enough juice in our system now so we are going to keep that TSH real low for now" but that is not true. Your Free #'s are low. The only reason your T3 total is high is becasue its your body's attempt to keep you alive from being too hypothyroid. Me and you have almost the exact same numbers except my TSH is 12 and yours is 0.15...see what I mean?

Last edited by nastyhashi; 06-03-2005 at 01:38 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2005, 01:53 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Take what Nasty is saying very seriously. You are NOT hyper and should NOT take any antithyroid drug!

I cannot for the life of me understand why a man with all that education doesn't understand the basic principle of the hypothalamus/pituitary/thyroid axis at all!
Please, I beg you, see someone else.

Old 06-03-2005, 03:22 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

dlkk HB User

Quote:
You have a problem with communication somewhere in the system. Either your hypothalamus is not talking to your pituitary gland or your pituitary is not talking to your thyroid properly and you need to find out why. I would think the end result would end up being a pituitary adenoma if anything which can be surgically removed.
I have a question about the whole hypothalamus/pituitary thing. When not on any thyroid meds my TSH is normal and my free's are very low. I was tested for a pituitary problem and the results were normal, no tumor. I was wondering if it is possible to have something wrong with the hypothalamus that would cause the pituitary to malfunction?

Old 06-03-2005, 04:08 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Changedusername HB User

I am sure it is possible but that is certainly beyond my bits of knowledge. That entire system is connected. They do a test called the TRH (Thyrotropin Releasing Hormone I believe) Stimulation Test to test that type of communication but the details I am unsure of....you can look up the TRH stimulation test online.

Closed Thread