It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2005, 05:41 PM   #1

mimiblue HB User
Kant....please read

Hi Karen....

Your situation sounds a lot like mine. Do you suffer from hashimotos symptoms? What medical advice have you received? I know you're not taking meds because your tsh is normal. Mine was normal a month ago...but a few months ago it was high.....seems to fluctuate quite often. Do you feel you could benefit from medication? How are you dealing with your symptoms? I appreciate any light you could shed on this.....especially considering my doctor won't treat me.

Thanks a million!

Michelle

Old 06-03-2005, 08:53 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

merrillin HB User
Re: Kant....please read

Mimi,
I'd be glad to fill you in on any questions you have. I have had an enlarged thyroid for 5 years but my bloodwork was always normal ( by this board ) and nothing was ever done. Last year it was discovered, through and ultra sound, that I had two large nodules on my thyroid. I had an FNA and that is how I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's. I do have symtoms.........many...........

hair falls out very bad
tired
sore joints and muscles
feeling like I have been hit by a truck
painful thyroid
swelling in my thyroid that comes and goes
very heavy and irregular cycles
EXTREME coldness

I also suffer with these HYPER symptoms.

weight loss
rapid pulse
nervous energy
heat flashes
heat intolerance

The thing is I can have them all.......some of them, or like this last 2 weeks, none of them. All of my thyroid swelling went away all of the sudden and I felt fine. I can tell it is starting to swell again, but have read this is quite the norm with this disease.

Right now since my labs are always normal and my symptoms come and go so fast, I am doing a watch and see approach. My dr had me get my labs drawn every few weeks for about 6 months and they don't fluctuate, she even had me do them at different times of the day.

I had them drawn for the first ttime in 6 months 4 weeks ago and my stupid dr still hasn't given them to me.

That is about it in a nutshell. IIt sure is one frustrating disease. A few years ago I gained like 50 pounds in 2 years and now I think I know why. Like I said though I have weight loss now. I have lost 60 pounds in the last 2 years. It is an up and down ride.

Everyone on my Mom's side has some type of thyroid disorder and all autoimmune like mine.

Have you been tested for the antibodies? That is the one thing that is off on me.

Best of luck and let me know more about your situation.
Karen

Last edited by merrillin; 06-03-2005 at 09:00 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2005, 05:37 AM   #3

mimiblue HB User

Hi Kant...

You sound exactly like me. The only difference is the weight gain/loss. I don't lose much anymore...wish I did. When I first discovered I had a problem I was completely hyper. I lost 10 pounds in two weeks, my hair fell out, was sweating all the time, tingling in hands and feet, extreme muscle weakness, anxiety, resting heart rate of 110-120, tremors, etc. My brilliant doctor told me I had ms. So...I had all the testing done for that....which of course, came back negative. A few months after that I had hypo symptoms....course, dry brittle hair that would just break off in the middle of the shaft, weight gain (30 pounds - which makes me about 20 pounds overweight factoring in the 10 pounds I lost at first), EXTREME fatigue, edema in hands and feet, SLOW heartrate, low blood pressure, static shocks...you name the symptom...I had it. It fluctuates all the time. My tsh does too...but always within the normal range (.3-5.5 according to our lab). As I said in one of my last posts....my doctor has finally consented for me to see an endocrinologist. In the meantime I would like to try some armour or something to help myself...especially during those hypo phases (which I began yesterday). As for antibodies....I got the results yesterday and she said I was positive. Actually....I asked her and she shook her head up and down. I'm assuming that's yes...but with her you never know. I think I'll try some armour. I'll keep you posted. Thanks very much for replying. Have a great weekend.

Mimi

Old 06-04-2005, 05:37 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

merrillin HB User

Mimi,
Armour is the drug I would like to try myself. Did your dr give you a script for it or are you going to try and do it yourself? ( I sure have thought about it)

I guess you know from reading the posts here that those lab ranges are antiquated and really most feel best with a tsh under 2 and closer to 1! These stupid dr;s.

I;ll tell ya..............I am on week 4 of waiting for my lab results. They were in within 48 hours but my dr has become a mess because she just got divorced and now she is NEVER in the office! Can you imagine how mad I am waiting a stinking month for my labs?????????

Keep me posted and maybe one of us can figure out what to do!

Karen

Old 06-04-2005, 06:28 PM   #5

mimiblue HB User

Hi Karen....

No...I am not going to try armour myself (although I am certainly tempted). I will wait until I get my endo appointment. I also have an appointment with a holistic doctor in the next couple of weeks. Apparently they are pretty good with this sort of treatment.

Poor you....4 weeks must seem like an eternity....especially after having symptoms for so long. How long have you been living with hashi's??? I don't know if doctors really understand the impact they have on people's lives. It must be like everything else...they get accustomed to their responsibility and the novelty wears off. I think my gp is burnt out....sounds like yours is on her way. Good luck with everything....keep me posted on your lab results. Have a great weekend.

Mimi

Old 06-05-2005, 08:13 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

merrillin HB User

Mimi,
Yeah, I my dr was wonderful, I stuck with her with the thyroid issue because she got to the bottom of what is wrong with me and didn't believe in treating by labs was willing to treat with symptoms. Now, she goes and gets divorced and she has fallen apart.

I was diagnosed with Hahsi's last year about this time, but now that I know what I have I believe I have had it for quite some time! I have NO idea what to do with these " missing" labs! I am going to start calling again tomorrow and see where I can get. I hate to "fire" her and go to someone who won't prescribe meds with good labs, ya know?

I guess I will give her a chance to get her act together. I know she has young kids and she has had to move her practice.

How are you feeling this weekend? I have had the extreme cold and the heat intolerance all at once this weekend. I think my husband believes I am loosing my mine! We were outside yesterday and it was 87 degrees and I had on a jacket! UGH

Karen

Old 06-06-2005, 02:16 PM   #7

mimiblue HB User

Oh dear!!!!

Don't you hate being caught in the middle of somebody else's crisis??? I have NOT yet been diagnosed with hashi's...I've sorta self diagnosed based on my symptoms, goiter, tsh, etc. I have yet to see an endo. As I've said....I'm going to see a holistic doctor soon. I can relate to you on many levels. I also believe I have been suffering from symptoms for a LONG time. They just got too bad to put up with about two years ago.

I actually wasn't feeling too bad this weekend....thanks so much for asking. I was feeling more of the fatigue/bloatedness. I know....too sexy, right? It was stinking hot here, too (about 85 degrees)...and it's Canada. It must be very difficult for you with the swings happening so often in the same day. Mine are usually weeks apart. Right now I'm super hypo....I can totally feel it. It's taking all of my strength just to get up and go to work.

Keep calling your doctor/laboratory. The results are out there somewhere!!! Don't give up. Let me know the results....
Thanks for keeping in touch. It's nice to have support like this!

Mimi

Closed Thread