It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2005, 11:54 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

lucky charms HB User
Exclamation just a quick question

How can you tell if you have thryoid cancer or not...I mean what gives the dr the suspicion to check for it? Ive read many cases on here about people with thyroid cancer and you know not once has my dr ordered an untrasound or anything..Ive always just heard hypo with goiter...

Old 06-05-2005, 12:46 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Changedusername HB User
Re: just a quick question

Well my doc for one, felt my large "goiter" which to me felt like a knot in my neck. He took one good squish of it and said it was a little too mushy and "not connected" to anything. I guess the most suspicious swellings tend to adhere to some muscle tissue and is hard as a rock I was told. Im not sure if that's the case always of course, but my doc was pretty certain mine was not cancer just by squishing it, in conjunction with labs, sono's and other things too Im sure. An FNA (biopsy) is the only really definitive method as far as I know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2005, 01:08 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

I don't know how others found thyroid cancer---but I had a humongous lump on my neck that I noticed out of the blue. I didn't have any goiter or hashimotos issue---just the sudden lump---that had probably been there hiding under the muscle for years, before it made itself known. I guess nodules might be checked and/or watched. Big obvious ones should be tested.

Old 06-05-2005, 06:45 PM   #4
(female)

stevnpat HB User

I'm waiting for the final pathology report on mine, but I found my nodule in the mirror one day. I had an uptake test which showed a "cold" nodule which are more worrisome than a hot nodule. The FNB showed a benign Follicular Nodule, however, since Follicular nodules are VERY difficult to distinquish between malignant and benign cells, my doc recommended to take out the right lobe of the thyroid to be sure. My surgery was Friday. Keep your fingers crossed for me that the lab results come back favorable.

Closed Thread