It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2005, 01:42 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User
AM cortisol results can anyone help?

I have posted this on the addison's board, but since many of you seem knowledgable of endocrine issues in general, I thought I would ask here also.

AM Cortisol: 30.3 Range 5-21

In February I had a TSH and FT4 done.
TSH: 2.3 (don't know range)
FT4: 1.1 Range .7-1.9

I am having horrible problems with allergies/sinusits and fatigue. I just tested positive to many food allergies, even though I had no stomach problems now or in the past.

Any insight appreciated.

Old 06-06-2005, 02:45 PM   #2
Veteran

inyourdreams HB User
Re: AM cortisol results can anyone help?

Most normal people's cortisol should be high first thing in the morning and then drop during the day, that's what gives you your energy for the day. I had my cortisol done and my morning (if going by your scale) was 5. So I was treated with a couple different types of adrenal fatigue supplements. Not sure what my numbers are now, but I can tell you I feel pretty "normal"---I have energy in the morning and it lasts all day long. Then at bedtime I am ready to go to bed--unlike before when I would just wake up at 10 pm (my cortisol would raise in the evenings).

Not sure what you mean by you've tested positive for food allergies but never had stomach problems. I tested positive for many food allergies and stomach issues were never brought up regarding them. Food allergies are just items that your body does not agree with--not necessarily stomach problems. These foods might slow down your weight loss, make you feel sluggish, etc.

I was told I was allergic to cow's milk (I've been drinking tons of it my whole life)....he told me to go off of it for 10 days and add 3 glasses (1 per meal) for that 11th day and let him know how I felt. Well, I've not added it back or even tried that because I feel so darn good I don't want that nasty milk!!!

Are you able to get to a holistic Dr and see if they do biotesting? This might tell you what your body is doing---even as far as allergies to pollens, foods, etc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2005, 03:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

I hear what you are saying, and that is why I am so baffled. I'm NOT awake or energetic in the morning. My dirty little secret is that I sleep to at least 9:00am everyday, often later. I had to get up "early" to get this test done, and I was so tired. I asked for this test because I suspected adrenal fatigue, not too much cortisol!

I never knew until testing positive, that food allergies caused any problems beside stomach problems and life threatening reactions. Apparently mine are causing sinus and fatigue. But how can I have all these allergies with my cortisol so high? The cortisol is supposed to be able to calm the allergic reactions. I'm so confused.

Eliminating my allergic foods has helped, but doesn't seem to be THE answer. Unfortunately, I can't really afford to see a doctor not covered by my insurance.

Last edited by sneezydiva; 06-06-2005 at 03:38 PM.

Old 06-06-2005, 03:40 PM   #4
Veteran

inyourdreams HB User

How bout your blood sugar?? Is it normal or does it run low or high? Do you eat anything high in carbs before going to bed or first thing in the morning?

Old 06-06-2005, 04:27 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

my blood sugar is normal. I don't eat before bedtime. I do eat cereal in the morning.

I've had a lot of basic bloodwork done, and besides the allergy testing, this is the only thing that has come up abnormal. I feel it is a significant discovery, but I'm not sure what to do next since it is the ooposite of what I was expecting.

Old 06-06-2005, 05:35 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

irys HB User

How funny..
back in March I had an AM cortisol test done. My result? H 26.1 (5.0-23.0)

TSH 1.83 (.35-5.5)
FT4 1.0 (0.9-1.8)
T3 135 (60-181)

I had food allergy testing done as well and found a few intolerances too (though also had no stomach troubles). My doctor didn't seem too concerned with the high cortisol result - she asked me if I was stressed out at all, and I'm not anymore than usual. The lab sheet says "The secretion of cortisol is eposodic so a single AM and PM sampling may not demonstrate a higher AM cortisol and lower PM cortisol." I too am anything but awake in the mornings, which is why my doc put me on supplements for adrenal fatigue...

From what I've read a single high cortisol test might be nothing.. if it continues to happen it might be something like Cushings disease. I haven't been able to find out a whole lot on it otherwise though. I'd be interested to know what it actually was though, and how it relates to thyroid.

Old 06-07-2005, 09:33 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

Thanks Irys for your reply. Your experience tells me that maybe I should not give up on the arenal fatigue idea just yet. I looked up Cushing's disease. I definitely fit the description of the weight gain. Weight gain mostly in the trunk and neck with skinny arms and legs. Muscle weakness is also a symptom, and while I am not too weak to do every day activities, I used to be very fit and strong, and know my muscle has declined somewhat. But those are the only symptoms I have out of many listed.

I am just so confused. I'm going to see if I can get a referral to an endo. Plus I will see what the allergist says Friday.

I did read on one website that sometimes high cortisol is related to HYPERthyroid. It is the reason some hyperthyroid people gain weight rather than lose it. Not sure it applies to me, but thought it would be interesting info to pass along.

Old 06-07-2005, 11:58 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

irys HB User

It is pretty interesting.. and at my next appointment I'm going to ask if we should monitor my cortisol level since it was infact high. It kinda bothered me she wasn't too concerned about it, and didn't want it tested at my 6 week lab workup.

The supplements I"ve been on for adrenal fatigue seem to have helped somewhat. I don't crash after meals as much/often anymore.

Closed Thread