It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2005, 03:04 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

SadFreek HB User
Those have or had anxiety from thryoid probs

I was just wondering on anxiety caused by thyroid problems.

Does everyone get anxiety with thyroid problems?

And those who did, how would you rate your anxiety on a scale of 1-10? 10 being severe.

And how do you feel after medication? and how long did it take to relieve symptoms?

Lastly, what were your hormone levels, if you don't mind that is?

I am constantly having anxiety along with other symptoms, but I just wanted to know that I wasn't alone in the cause of it. (I believe)

My TSH was 4.565 and no frees or antibodies were tested cause my doctors are idiots.

Old 06-06-2005, 03:18 PM   #2
Veteran

inyourdreams HB User
Re: Those have or had anxiety from thryoid probs

Back when all of my problems started (about 15 years ago or so), I had TERRIBLE panic attacks that I would rate about a 20 on your scale. I also had feelings of hot and cold, shakiness, fears of everything that I couldn't control, terrible indigestion, weight gain, etc.

Everytime I went to a Dr they would ask if I thought I had thyroid problems and stupid me would say "Naaaaaa, they've been tested so I know they're ok"---not realizing that they had to be "just so" in order for me to function properly in life.

The anxiety lessened over the years, but every so often it would rear its ugly head. I've been on medication for my hypo (hashi's) since November and have not had 1 panic or anxiety attack. In fact, I am so able to handle things now it's like a complete 360. Before medication I felt like I was unable to be anywhere not familiar to me---I always felt like I would do or say something stupid to make me look even more stupid. My fears were very strange---like fear of finding a bathroom in time? I guess my system was just so out of whack that I did have sudden urges to use the bathroom and then would fear of not making it in time. Now I don't even worry about it--at all. Geeez, did I just confess that on here?? It's ok, you don't know me

Personally, I feel the thyroid had a LOT to do with my anxiety issues. And what ticked me off is when people would say "what do you have to be anxious about?" or "you're gonna be fine" right in the middle of sweat pouring down my face and the impending doom that I felt. If I would have had the energy to have punched them in the face, I would have.

A little advice that I can give you...and this has really helped me in stressful situations....is to find a place to do yoga. All yoga is, is deep breathing from your belly and getting your mind to relax. Maybe get a yoga tape or something to learn the technique of breathing in and out....that helps me a LOT. Now when I get stressed, I just stop--and breath. I notice my breath and how it's cleansing the stress outta me. You can do the full yoga at home, but when you're out and you feel the anxiety---breathe...just keep thinking about breathing---not about what's bothering you. It will pass.

Also---just don't give up on getting to the right thyroid number for you. It's different for everybody. Then again, I have no idea what my new numbers are (since November when I started the medicine), because when I called the Dr the other day to get my DHEA results---she just said the Dr will go over your bloodwork in JULY when you come in for your appt. So apparently the thyroid numbers were ok to his liking. Or else the girl was in a hurry to get to her lunchbreak and we all know THAT happens!

Breathe Sadfreek----it's ok. You'll be fine in time--just take the bad energy in your body and use it to get the answers you need and want.

Peace

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2005, 10:53 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

SadFreek HB User

thank you so much for your reply! Your post is exactly like me. I get fears on the same things actually!!!! Of course, I have my own as well, that I wouldn't wish upon my worst enemy, but its very alike!

I can deal with every other symptom of hypo, but the constant sleepiness and anxiety are the worst.

My doc actually said the same thing to me about "there's nothing wrong with your thyroid. Here's some prozac". That's their answer for everything.

I feel like I have been in one panic attack for about 3 years now. Gradually gettin' worse too.

I am so glad you're better now! I envy you. And I pray you never go down that path again.

I finnaly have an appt. on the 14th with a doc that actually goes by the 3.0 TSH standards and supports the AACE position...but, of course, my insurance doesn't cover her. So it's outta pocket.

thanks so much for your post. It gives me a glimpse of hope that I needed a LOT.

btw, if you pulled a "360", you'd be right back where you started.. lol (I know you meant 180, but I couldn't resist.)

Old 06-07-2005, 04:22 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Changedusername HB User

I get them too. On your scale I too was at least a 20. In fact, worse becasue it was so bad I actually became completely Agoraphobic for a while where I didn't leave the house at all for about 4 months. Had to literally force myself out of the house to get over my insanity. Im still not out of the woods cause I am still not on meds, but I've learned to deal with it. Panic attacks are the worst. If I ever hear the term "snap out of it already" from a family member or friend I'll freak.

Old 06-07-2005, 04:23 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Changedusername HB User

I get them too. On your scale I too was at least a 20. In fact, worse becasue it was so bad I actually became completely Agoraphobic for a while where I didn't leave the house at all for about 4 months. Had to literally force myself out of the house to get over my insanity. Im still not out of the woods cause I am still not on meds, but I've learned to deal with it. Panic attacks are the worst. If I ever hear the term "snap out of it already" from a family member or friend I'll freak.

Old 06-07-2005, 04:52 AM   #6
(female)

Maryee HB User

Another big anxiety sufferer! On a scale, I'd go for a 20 as well, I got to the point of not being able to go out of the house, not answering the door, not answering the phone ...

I've been taking thyroid since December but am not at my optimal level (well I hope not, as I still feel like yuck), even so, my anxiety has lessened. I do answer the door now and can cope better generally with things! It is getting better for me, so hang on in there!

Old 06-07-2005, 05:06 AM   #7
Veteran

inyourdreams HB User

[My doc actually said the same thing to me about "there's nothing wrong with your thyroid. Here's some prozac". That's their answer for everything.

I feel like I have been in one panic attack for about 3 years now. Gradually gettin' worse too.

I am so glad you're better now! I envy you. And I pray you never go down that path again.

I finnaly have an appt. on the 14th with a doc that actually goes by the 3.0 TSH standards and supports the AACE position...but, of course, my insurance doesn't cover her. So it's outta pocket.

thanks so much for your post. It gives me a glimpse of hope that I needed a LOT.

btw, if you pulled a "360", you'd be right back where you started.. lol (I know you meant 180, but I couldn't resist.) [/QUOTE]

Silly me!!! Well, I never said it made me smarter!!!

Anyway, sleeplessness was my other terrible symptom. I swear I hadn't slept in the last 10 years. Just since I started my medication, I sleep like a baby and I feel like I've slept once I wake up in the morning. It's wonderful---and I hope you get there too!

Panic attacks are a hard thing to forget about. At the time I was having them I thought they'd never disappear. I never had a clue that it might be my thyroid or adrenals causing them, but obviously it was.

Oh yeahhhhhhhhh, been offered every anti-anxiety medication there is---I finally settled on 1/2 a Xanax when I knew I'd be in a panic situation. It worked for me, and I could find myself getting very addicted to them. So I made myself only take them when absolutely necessary.

My Dr isn't covered on my insurance either. I think I've given him close to $2,000 already between his visits, the biotesting and supplements. But I don't care, it's worth it for me. I spent so much more money on other tests throughout those 15 years that did nothing for me. Plus he doesn't think I'm crazy

You'll get there Sadfreek---and I'll pray for you and that you find a Dr that will treat you right. If he doesn't, you come to PA and I'll take you on a field trip to my Dr, ok?

Yes, keep the hope---I know it's tough at times, but it does help your well-being.

Now breathe..............

Old 06-07-2005, 05:20 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

Hypothyroid makes you paranoid, anxiety is terrible(little things bother you more) no energy,sleepy all the time,with yawning throughout the day,depression(sad all the time) obssessive compulsive disorders,(I had that for sure), skipping heartbeats with palpitations, hair fell out(now growing back gray but I am 51, no big deal), bladder infections, edema(face,hands,legs, feet) , hearing impaired, smelling impaired,itchy dry skin, sinus congestion, achy shoulders,pain in my legs(especially knees) pain in the bottom of my feet(that hurt like crazy) especially my toes, I was thinking I had ingrown toenails LOL, high bloodpressure, insomnia with sweating at night(it is not night sweats cause I am over the big menopause symptoms)
bottom teeth pain, blurry vision, puffy around eyes, slow wound healing(I had scratches that took two months to heal).Hypoglocemia(wanting to eat sweet goodies).

These were symptoms I had. Still have a little fluid retention(that is improving). Also my weight is slowly going down.

Old 06-07-2005, 07:30 AM   #9
(female)

gnp HB User

I am so glad that I found this site. I go in for surgery on june 15 for thyroid cancer. I have had panic attacks for so long I can't remember when I didn't. My husband says is this something new or have you always been like this. Is it going to get better or will you always be on medication( zoloft,clonzapin,wellbutrin,zanax). He says the med. is causing my problems. The problem with anxiety is that it triggers my asthma. Thats actually how they found out that I had masses. My chest x-ray. I yawn all day long (my mom says drink more coffee) now we know why. I am listless, sleepy and feel like I'm just not here. I can't wait for these symptoms to go away. I have been trying to lose weight, but only 5 lbs came off. I would like to see a new me.

Nancy

Old 06-07-2005, 08:19 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

merrillin HB User

Wanted to let you know that I too am an anxiety sufferer being at a 20 myself. I actually have been put on anxiety meds and have been for about 8 years. I just found out in the last year that I have hashi's but I have been suffereing with thyroid problems for a long time with hindsight being 20/20.

Best of luck I know how crippling they are and it is a very hard issue to explain to family and friends!

Karen

Old 06-07-2005, 02:50 PM   #11
(female)

mtleh HB User

It is so relieving reading all of this. I get my test results back tomorrow morning (something I will actually be able to drag myself out of bed for). My routine seems to be, though, wake up and have an anxiety attack. My mom is totally convinced it it my thyroid since she has Hashi's, and reading this sounds so familiar! I don't want to leave my apartment, and when my friends question the way I feel I want to snap! They liken it to the winter blahs, but it is summer and getting worse so their theory is no good

Last edited by mtleh; 06-07-2005 at 02:51 PM.

Old 06-07-2005, 03:09 PM   #12
(female)

pete0303 HB User

I also have suffered from horrible anxiety for years, I have taken amitriptiline, prozac zoloft lexapro paxil serzone xanax atavan and effexor.I began taking westhroid in march and have not had a bit of problem since,I used to get sick to my stomach fro worrying about horrible things that might happen and basically became disfunctional.I tried all the anti depressants but never felt they were helping so i quit them under the care of a gread medical doctor.Also,If your tests come back normal make sure they check more than the TSH I have cellular resistance and problems converting T4 to T3 the westhroid has worked wonders for me.Good Luck The people on this board have helped me so much and have really encouraged me.You are truely amongst friends here and some very knowledgeable ones at that.All the best to Ya,

Old 06-07-2005, 06:11 PM   #13
Veteran
(male)

SadFreek HB User

I am so glad I started this thread. It really gives me an emotional boost that I needed desperatly. And aparantly some others did too.

Thank all of you for all the replies.

Everyone's anxiety problems sound so similiar its crazy.

I have an appt on the 14th that I am anxious to get done. Took forever to find a doc that is smart and not ignorant.

Just out of curiousity, post your TSH and other numbers if you have them.

my TSH was 4.565. No frees tested.

Old 06-16-2005, 02:34 AM   #14
(female)

ballina HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadFreek
I was just wondering on anxiety caused by thyroid problems.

Does everyone get anxiety with thyroid problems?

And those who did, how would you rate your anxiety on a scale of 1-10? 10 being severe.

And how do you feel after medication? and how long did it take to relieve symptoms?

Lastly, what were your hormone levels, if you don't mind that is?

I am constantly having anxiety along with other symptoms, but I just wanted to know that I wasn't alone in the cause of it. (I believe) Hi I thought i would post you. I have just had some blood tests for thyroid problems im convinced my is underactive Ifeel constantly tired my brain is fuzzy all the time And then theres the anxiety attacks they just creep up on me it doesnt happen all the time . Do you expierence tightness in your throat ? or is it just me maybe its in my imagination? It feels so real thou . Im really trying to do my research in thyroid disorders and im amazed to how many systoms or complications there are with it. Are you on medication and is your thyroid under or over ? Im waiting for my test to come through with anticipation I dont know what i will do if they come back negative.

My TSH was 4.565 and no frees or antibodies were tested cause my doctors are idiots.

Old 06-16-2005, 11:29 AM   #15
Veteran
(male)

SadFreek HB User

Hello, I was finnaly diagnosed a few days ago as hypo (underactive thyroid) and was given a choice of synthroid, Levoxyl or Armour. I chose synthroid for the time being starting at 25mg once a day. (Is that enough?)

I haven't noticed any change yet but its only been 3 days of meds..sooo..thats not expected.

My symptoms I was having were anxiety and constant sleepiness. Those were the major symptoms. You sound a lot like me and I hope this finnanly helps us both.

I do somewhat get that tightness feeling in my throat. And I learned to relax when the panic comes which cut back on the severity of them. They're still hell!

When you get your blood results, post them all here. I went through 4 doctors before I found one that knows about thyroid levels.

Closed Thread