It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2005, 07:25 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

shellshocked HB User
Fluoride?

I've read in a couple of places now---neither one related to the other---that there might be a correlation between getting too much fluoride and problems with your thyroid.
Just 2.5mg of fluoride a day can depress thyroid function.
I know our city water is fluoridatd. I'm thinking of going for non-fluoridated bottled water.
I'm adding a 600mg calcium supplement to my sublingual B and Super-Duper B supplement to see if that helps my thyroid function.
The most recent article I read was in a women's magazine "First for Women" June 13, 2005.

Anybody else heard this?

Old 06-07-2005, 07:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User
Re: Fluoride?

Anyone who is interested in the relationship between thyroid function and fluoride can spend all day on Google Scholar, reading research abstracts.

Richard Shames, author of Thyroid Power, notes that fluoride disrupts thyroid hormone synthesis.

Beyond fluoridated water, there are dental care products (paste, rinses, floss, gels) and medications (notably, a number of antidepressants are fluorine-based) that have similar effect.

Fluoride is also easily absorbed through the skin. I'm not sure anyone has figured out the dose absorbed through unfiltered water in the daily bath or shower, in fluoridated areas.

Lor

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2005, 03:52 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

shellshocked HB User

Thanks for the info. I had no idea that something as common as fluoride could be causing problems for my thyroid. I also read some stuff that makes it sound like lots of diverse organizations are concerned with the prevalance of fluoride in lots of things we eat, drink, and bathe in. Foods they mentioned included mechanically de-boned chicken, cereals, toothpaste, fluoridated water, beer, soft drinks and tea.
Sounds like it's going to be hard to get away from the tide of fluoride.

Old 06-08-2005, 07:17 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tea

Ya know, I've wondered about tea myself. I have "borderline hypo" being treated w/low dose T4. But I still have the achey-breaky syndrome that starts each day around 4:30 p.m. It's much less in severity than before I started the T4, but I've noticed that the days I skip my aft. tea, I have much less grief.

A little puzzled because ... the T4 doesn't really need to be synthesized, right? And it has a half-life of 10 days or so?

At any rate, I am on the lookout for a low-fluoride tea, if there is such a thing. I'm pretty sure having decaf tea doesn't solve the fluoride prob., and I've tried many herbal teas but have yet to find one I really like.

Chicken, huh? Wonder how that happens ...

Lor

Old 06-08-2005, 12:05 PM   #5
(female)

Seastar HB User

Hi!
I read the same article in First for Women and started doing research about flouride too. What I turned up was pretty scary (supposedly flouride is almost as pisonous as arsenic and actually does not prevent tooth decay, so I'm wondering why it is in the water in the first place). I drink a lot of tea, and read that decaf is actually worse, having 30 times more flouride than regular. I switched to regular and have found that the days I don't drink decaf I feel a bit better (I'm not willing to give up my tea unless absolutely necessary!). Also, I managed to find a toothpaste that is flouride free, and that seems to have helped quite a bit. I'm still trying to figure out how else to reduce exposure...

I also wanted to say thanks for posting about this. I'm new to the board and finding it very helpful to know that I'm not alone! Best of luck with the flouride beastie,
Dash

Old 06-08-2005, 01:40 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

shellshocked HB User

Thanks seastar. My dh saw the mag at the store and brought it home for me. I googled some stuff on fluoride---and it looks there are some real concerns about fluoride----and how too much of it can be poisonous.
I'm going to have to really cut down on my diet coke---I would drink it like crazy----but now I'm wondering if I was just messing my thyroid up even more than before.

Old 06-09-2005, 02:29 PM   #7
(female)

Seastar HB User

Shellshocked,

I'm also a big fan of diet coke, in addition to all of that lovely flouride-filled tea, of course! Sometimes I feel so naive...I just can't understand why the government is putting this pesticide in our water supply when all it does is harm people. Best of luck with cutting out the soda, that's my next project too

Old 06-11-2005, 09:17 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bagged Lettuce & Fluoride

I just learned about this ...

Apparently last yr. on the food network a program showed the processing of ready-to-eat, bagged lettuce salads.

To increase the shelf life of salad veggies, they are rinsed in a FLOURIDE solution. The flouride kills the natural enzymes which cause the lettuce to break down.

Who'd a thought???

Lor

Old 06-11-2005, 12:36 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

shellshocked HB User

elmhar----

That would've never crossed my mind.

Searstar---I'm trying to cut back---but it's so hard when sometime's it's the only thing that keeps me awake.
My latest doctor gave me phentramine to lose my appetite----didn't need any diet coke when I was taking those----all though I would stagger for the first two hours after taking it, and then have to drink gallons of water to keep from feeling parched.
Let's see, I've been on the phentramine for 4 weeks, barely eaten anything and lost 12 pounds. It sounds like my metabolism still is stuck in neutral.
Look for my latest vent coming soon---just got copies of my labs and I'm about to come unglued!

Old 06-11-2005, 04:38 PM   #10
(female)

Seastar HB User

Shellshocked,

The phentramine side effects sound pretty terrible. Congratulations on losing 12 pounds, although that probably seems like small potatoes when you're feeling so wretched. I really hope that your doctors figure out what they're doing soon so that you can get some relief!

Elmhar,

Thanks for the lettuce alert. I would never have thought about that! Do you know if they do the same thing with bagged "ready-to-eat" spinach? It seems like flouride is in everything. At least knowing where it tends to be we can try to limit our exposure, but geez, wouldn't it be nice if there weren't always one more thing to have to worry about?!

Old 06-11-2005, 06:28 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

merrillin HB User

I eat bagged lettuce every day. What are we supposed to do for lettuce and salad?

I am so sick of all the poison they put in our food and drinks.

I also read this....................that use of the antibacterial soaps and the clorox wipes are also capable of lowering thyroid function!

Karen

Old 06-12-2005, 08:48 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Angry Lettuce

Seastar & Kant,

We're big lettuce eaters, too -- mostly whole heads of romaine & red. Not sure whether those are treated also. The person who told me about the show said the fluoride was to keep cut edges from browning, hence use in bagged salad.

Spinach is much less prone to browning. Stem-ends, sometimes. But I don't really know. If it's the same company washing & bagging, they might have a one-size-fits-all procedure.

Used to be that lettuce was treated w/sulfites, but then there were salad-bar deaths due to sulfite sensitivity & FDA said if over 10 ppm, sulfites had to be labelled. Apparently the lettuce needed more than 10 ppm so the switch was made to fluoride.

Some pesticide sprays are fluorine-based. The lightest-color head lettuces are the most prone to insect damage, & the most heavily-sprayed.

Visit the Farmer's Markets? or home garden if you can? Health Food Store organic lettuce?

I just heard about a new book called The Fluoride Deception, which describes the historic intrusions of fluoride into our everyday lives, and the science of how fluoride affects us. Haven't had a chance to ck it on Amazon yet.

Lor

Closed Thread