It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2005, 10:39 PM   #1
(female)

LynnJo HB User
Thyroid test came back normal, but...

I have had several symptoms relating to thyroid disorders, with a blood test done by my MD, my thyroid test TSH (1.04 test result) was normal. I had an ultra sound on my thyroid a SMALL cyst was seen on my left thyroid. I was seen by an ENT who said it was so small, and I should not worry about it. Is it possible for my blood test to be "normal" but yet still have a problem? My symptoms started about a year ago: Night sweats, loss of sex drive, slight weight gain that I can not loose, high bmi number. I am 32yrs, 5'1" 129lbs. Can anyone give me some insight??
Thanks, LynnJo

Old 06-06-2005, 10:43 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

SadFreek HB User
Re: Thyroid test came back normal, but...

I dont see how 5'1 and 129lbs is a high BMI? Anyhow...

Is the TSH all your doctor tested? If so, yes, there can be problems with the TSH normal...excuse me, "normal". Such as slow/minimal conversion of FT4 to FT3.. ect.

You should have these tests done: TSH, FreeT3, FreeT4, and antibodies.

goodluck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2005, 11:16 PM   #3
(female)

LynnJo HB User

SadFreek-
Thanks for the reply...I looked on my lab report for the other tests (this is really all Greek to me) The MD did a CBC and others, I did not find Free T3 or Free T4, but the Albumin/Globulin Ratio is 1.4
Albumin 4.5
Globulin 3.3

Old 06-06-2005, 11:36 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

SadFreek HB User

Im not sure but I think the other two are the anti-bodies. (Those anti-bodies cause either grave's disease or Hashimotos.

Old 06-06-2005, 11:57 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

pixiek HB User

Yes, my friend, and welcome! You can have so many symptoms and still have "normal" labs. But what is normal for one is not normal for another...beware, few doctors see it this way...they are very wrong. Now just to be sure, get these tests, TSH (you have that), FT4, FT3 and yes, the antibodies for Graves and Hashimotos (autoimmune diseases)...but I am wondering...I have heard that even "little" cysts to cause BIG problems....If you are not feeling well, pursue it further. If you post the numbers here be sure to include your lab ranges....hope this helps!

Old 07-04-2005, 07:44 PM   #6
(female)

ejb4tennis HB User

LynnJo, my symptoms are alot like yours but my doc feels it could be side effects from the antidepressants. I am now switching from Paxil to Wellbutrin. I can't take the drenching night sweats anymore. Not to mention in the past nine months I have put on approx 20 lbs at my belly that diet & exercise won't get rid of. I'm 5' 7.5" and now weigh in at 143 lbs. I have NEVER been out of the 120's since adulthood . . .I'm now 30.
I'll get my thyroid lab results in 2 weeks. I almost hope it is my thyroid so I can get myself to feeling & looking normal. I had a thyroid test a yr ago and the endocrinologist said it wasn't off "enough" to worry about. I was on the hyper side.

Old 07-04-2005, 08:27 PM   #7
(female)

gnp HB User

Boy, do I know about normal labs. Mine were normal up to the day they did surgery to remove what that thought was papillary cancer. A week after surgery and I find out it's follicular cancer, back to the surgeon again in the up coming weeks. Had blood done week after surgery, didn't get results due to holiday. By the way when I married 5 yrs ago, I was 115. Now 5 yrs later and 2 little ones and lots of meds I am 143 lbs, at 5'3" and 39 yrs old.

Nancy

Last edited by gnp; 07-04-2005 at 08:28 PM.

Old 07-04-2005, 10:16 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

OraEtLabora HB User

The Albumin and Globulin are a measure of certain proteins found in the serum. They have little to do with Thyroid Antibodies, other than the fact that Globulins include gamma globulins, which are antibodies (not necessarily thyroid antibodies). While Albumin can be decreased in hypothyroidism, and Globulins increased in certain autoimmune diseases, these are not normally tested when looking for thyroid disorders - this test is very non-specific. Serum proteins transport vitamins, minerals, hormones, etc, they balance and maintain osmotic pressure, and perform a variety of other functions necessary for health of the body.

Your A/G ratio is actually very good, and your Albumin and Globulin values look good. But please don't confuse this test with thyroglobulin antibodies or thyroid peroxidase antibodies. Both of these antibody types are gamma globulins.

Closed Thread