It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2005, 11:16 PM   #1
(female)

moonrise2 HB User
Thyroid Problem?

About a month ago, I felt a "pillow"-like thing in my neck. It's soft and squishy, and is totally painless. It's not in the exact center of my neck -- it's off to the right just a bit -- and is about 1-1/2" up from my collar bone (or whatever that bone is). It feels kind of like a squishy fat deposit. I can't see it when I look in the mirror normally, but if I lean my head back and turn it a little, there's a small pooch. It's not so large that anyone else would notice it unless they felt of it. It feels kind of funny when I swallow, but it's barely noticeable.

I'm 37 years old, and I had a hysterectomy last year. I'm not taking HRT. I'm a big girl, but I have been for most of my life. I did notice that my ankles and fingers were (very) slightly swollen a few days ago, but returned to normal within 24 hours.

I looked up information about thyroids and found that hypothyroidism can cause it to enlarge. Other than the "pillow-thing" and the temporarily slightly swollen ankles and fingers, I'm not having any of the other systems listed.

It will be a few weeks before I can go to the doctor (husband got a new job, and the insurance won't take effect until July). We both had to get blood work done in order to get insurance. I don't know if the tests include thyroid levels or not.

Do you think the "pillow-thing" could be my thyroid? Or something else, since I'm not having any really obvious symptoms? (What else is in my neck that could be puffy, other than a fat deposit?)

TIA!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2005, 03:34 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

pixiek HB User
Re: Thyroid Problem?

Well, may or may not be your thyroid. If you want to be sure, you might want to get these blood tests: FT4, FT3, and TSH...if you have a family history of thyroid disorders (you may not be experiencing symptoms now,)then it is then a good idea to have the baseline numbers. Hope this helps.

Old 06-07-2005, 04:58 AM   #3
(female)

Maryee HB User

As Pixiek says, it is best to get the proper tests done and make sure that they are included in your bloodwork.

Old 06-07-2005, 06:41 AM   #4
(female)

lis1332 HB User

I don't know if bloodwork shows cancer or not, but I don't think so since I had bloodwork that came back normal when I was pregnant, and I had thyroid cancer at that time. Quite a large number of tumors actually. That's not to scare you; it could be nothing at all. However, to be on the safe side, I would get a fine needle biopsy, and I wouldn't let a doctor put you off of it. I had papillary cancer, by my estimates it had to be for at least 2 years inside of me, at the age of 24 (if not sooner), and I had if not no symptoms of hypo/hyper thyroid, then at least none that I noticed. And like I said, my thyroid bloodwork they took when I was pregnant came back normal.

You have to do what you feel comfortable with to know you're taken care of is my best advice.

Lisa

Closed Thread