It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2005, 04:10 PM   #1
(female)

roro HB User
Hyperthyroid - just treat symptoms?

My TSH has declined over the past 5 years. It used to be 3-3.8, and I was never treated. I had all the symptoms of hypothyroid (weight gain, basal temperature of 97-97.5, 1/3 end of eyebrow missing, fatigue, dry skin. I also have other health problems, like joint pain, numbness, which could be due to something else, I have hepC and had lyme disease.
I grew very large nodules one and two centimeters. My TSH is now 0.4. The endo said "we like to see it at least 1.0" but he did not tell me to come back, just had his nurse call me and say all the tests were normal.
My primary said I am better off just treating the symptoms. I was on cortef for low cortisol and orthostatic hypotension for a year and a half, and maybe she figures these symptoms will go away after a while now that I am off the steroids.
opinions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2005, 06:28 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

pixiek HB User
Re: Hyperthyroid - just treat symptoms?

Well, I think you need to get a good doctor to find out what is going on. You say you have nodules? I think that is worth a closer look. Find a good doctor to help you see what is possible going on with your thyroid. I am not so familiar with nodules, but at least you want blood work FT4, FT3 and TSH and how about checking for antibodies for Graves and/or Hashimotos. I am wondering if some of the meds you are/were taking are only in part just covering up the true cause of your problems? Anyone else?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2005, 07:29 AM   #3
(female)

roro HB User

They tested me for antibodies, it was negative. I also did have the nodules biopsied in october, and they are benign. they are hot nodules, so I am assuming that that means they are producing too much hormone and that is why my TSH has dropped so drastically. Well, its better than being hypo like I was before.
I am still fat tho. It figures I would be the one hyper person who stays fat.

Old 06-08-2005, 04:55 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

pixiek HB User

I wonder if you can check into getting those nodules removed if they are causing so much trouble? I am not a nodules expert...just a thought...my sister had a goiter...got the whole thyroid removed(she did not have hashis or graves) and is on synthroid, just had her second child and is doing great and feeling perfectly fine...I have autoimmune disease so it is much harder (I think) for those of us like that....just a thought...

Last edited by pixiek; 06-08-2005 at 04:56 PM.

Old 06-09-2005, 08:58 AM   #5
(female)

roro HB User

what is different now than before, is now:
I am always hot all the time, I have major heat intolerance, to the point of heat exhaustion,
I suddenly start sweating profusely at times.
I have a lot of anxiety, they sent me to the psychiatrist thinking I have an axiety disorder or I am manic
I have heart palpitations.
I never used to be like this, I was always a very mellow person, cold, tired, sleepy. am thinking these symptoms are form being hyper.

Closed Thread