It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2005, 04:30 PM   #1
(female)

gimpydimp HB User
Post thyroidectomy hair washing -- how?

I am wondering how I will be able to wash my hair in the first few days and weeks after my thyroidectomy on June 16. Any suggestions from those who've "Been There"?

Cindy B

Old 06-07-2005, 04:59 PM   #2
(female)

parriaga HB User
Re: Post thyroidectomy hair washing -- how?

I am having a Total Thyroidectomy on June 9th. I am wondering how I am going to do alot of things myself like sleep in the bed Wondering if I should stock up on jello and things like that. Just all kinds of things.

Patty

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2005, 05:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

I was able to shower the next day---it was soothing, and I washed my hair then too. My surgeon didn't care if I got it wet.

The only thing I was told not to do was look up. So I couldn't rinse with my head back.

It hurt a bit when I turned side to side, so I wasn't comfortable driving for about day five or so.

I slept in a bed, but couldn't sleep on my side for a few days, and I propped the pillows carefully.

I found ice cream, ices, pudding and jello great the first few days, because my throat felt sore.

And I couldn't yell at my kids for about 2-3 weeks, which they liked.

I wish both of you speedy recoveries!

Old 06-07-2005, 07:50 PM   #4
(female)

parriaga HB User

Thank you! I feel somewhat better now. How long did you stay in the hospital? out of work etc? I am sure my kids and my husband will enjoy the no yelling!

Old 06-07-2005, 09:35 PM   #5
(female)

skewch HB User

I was in the hospital for 5 days. While there, had only liquids for the first couple days, then they slowly added some solids a bit at a time. Slept on my back for a couple weeks (now paying hefty price for that, back is so whacked, need to go to chiro but have been too lazy LOL).

My husband bathed me LOL. I had him get my hair wet for me with a bucket and then I washed it then he rinsed with a bucket again....I also needed help from him to get out of the tub. I'm not sure if it was my surgery or my newfound problem of low calcium that made me that way.

I just made sure to blot my scar with a wet cloth while in the tub too, to loosen the scabs and keep it clean.

My neck was pretty stiff, but I was told it would be because my thyroid had grown underneath my neck muscles on the sides of my neck.

I didn't drive for 2 weeks because, again, my low calcium levels did not permit me to do so, very weak and very shaky. This allowed my neck to heal nicely and when I had to drive, I was able.

Old 06-08-2005, 04:38 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User

I washed my hair/showered the next day. My doc said getting it wet is fine just don't let the water directly hit it.

Eat what you feel comfortable with. I would be surprised if you did stock up on jello that you would use it all b/c your neck hurts. I was eating normally about 2 days post surgery.

Swallowing felt weird b/c it would pull at the incision area which was just weird. Didn't hurt.

Good luck!
April

Closed Thread