It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2005, 10:22 AM   #1
(female)

litlmoo HB User
Lightbulb Help with Labs

Hi everyone, I just got labs back from a Dr. that is an idoit. I am hoping that you can help me make scence of all of this. He wouldnt do the TSH or FT3 or FT4 but he wanted to do the following:

Cortison A.M. 28.98H (4.30-22.40)

FSH, Serum 3.4

Follicular: 1.4-11.4
Ovulatory: 5.1-34.2
Luteal 1.1-8.4
Postmenopausal: 27.6-132.9

LH Serum 8.2

Follicular: .8-9.8
Ovulatory: 17.5-49.0
Luteal .6-10.8
Postmenopausal: 30.0-72.6

Please help me to understand what these mean.

Of couse the Dr. said that i am fine!!

Thanks for the help

Last edited by litlmoo; 06-08-2005 at 02:11 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2005, 03:07 PM   #2
(male)

je46324 HB User
Re: Help with Labs

What phase of your cycle are you in litlmoo? Cortisol is high but that may be a good thing, cortisol is a stress releiver hormone and can get high when one is sick and or under anykind of physical or mental stress.

Eric

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2005, 03:42 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User
Re: Please help me understand

I can't help you but I also just had a high cortisol test. Mine was 30.3 range: 5-21. I sure would like to know what it means. My doctor says it is related to my allergies. But with results that high, I feel it should be helping my allergy symptoms, instead they are getting worse.

Old 06-08-2005, 03:56 PM   #4
(female)

litlmoo HB User

Eric what cycle are you asking about?

The only thing that I could think of to make this test high is the fact that i am so unhappy that no one will help me. I thouhg that he was going to help me but instead told me there is noting wrong and then proceeded to get a book out and show me that I was fine. All I wanted was for him to do the dang right tests and he wouldnt. And that i was running alittle late so i kinda drove there at like 90mph. Do you think that could have made it high?

He is also running another test the ACTH. Can you tell me why you think that he would run these tests?

I think he thinks that I am just going in there cause I am overweight and I am trying to get them to help me with that, but that is not the case. I can live with the extra weight, but I cant however live with the depression, anxiety, sleepiness, foggy head and on and on.

thanks for the advice

Old 06-08-2005, 06:22 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Changedusername HB User

He's testing your adrenals witth the ACTH test and your sex hormones with the others, thinking they are all correlated, which they are. Cortisol, Adrenal, Cholesterol, Thyroid and sex hormones all influence each other in one way or another.

You need to check why that cortisol is high. Maybe ask for a 24 hour catecholamine test to check your adrenaline output over the course of a day....its just urine...easy.

The cortisol could be high as a result of anxiety or it can be an indicator of a cause of anxiety. Cortisol is the "anti-anxiety" in the body. In short, when you need to run, adrenaline kicks in and when the episode is over cortisol comes in and mops up the extra adrenaline...basically...when adrenaline output is high constantly due to anxiety or illness, it can mean there is a problem with the adrenals, like an adrenal tumor or adrenal fatigue. Check the term pheochromocytosis on the internet. Also look up Cushings disease on the net and see if any of that applies.

Last edited by nastyhashi; 06-08-2005 at 06:23 PM.

Old 06-08-2005, 06:36 PM   #6
(male)

je46324 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastyhashi
He's testing your adrenals witth the ACTH test and your sex hormones with the others, thinking they are all correlated, which they are. Cortisol, Adrenal, Cholesterol, Thyroid and sex hormones all influence each other in one way or another.

You need to check why that cortisol is high. Maybe ask for a 24 hour catecholamine test to check your adrenaline output over the course of a day....its just urine...easy.

The cortisol could be high as a result of anxiety or it can be an indicator of a cause of anxiety. Cortisol is the "anti-anxiety" in the body. In short, when you need to run, adrenaline kicks in and when the episode is over cortisol comes in and mops up the extra adrenaline...basically...when adrenaline output is high constantly due to anxiety or illness, it can mean there is a problem with the adrenals, like an adrenal tumor or adrenal fatigue. Check the term pheochromocytosis on the internet. Also look up Cushings disease on the net and see if any of that applies.

Really not high enough to be cushings I would think but still is a possibility, the ACTH may be a little better indicator with that, the serum cortisol are total hormone numbers much like the TT4 test but not a measurement of the free readily useable hormone. AS for thr cycle I was asking about your period and which part of the cycle you are in.......all the other tests he ran are just stimulateing hormones, much like the TSH is to the thyroid system. Actually the driveing like a nut could be a reason you have a elevation in the cortisol, sometimes just the nerviuosness from the needle can elevate it. FSH is for estrogen and LH is progasterone I beleieve.

Eric

Old 06-08-2005, 06:50 PM   #7
(female)

litlmoo HB User

Eric- Can you explaine what range i fall in to?

Follicular: 1.4-11.4
Ovulatory: 5.1-34.2
Luteal 1.1-8.4
Postmenopausal: 27.6-132.9

And for what part of the cycle I am in I have normal periods and the last one was last week in May if that is what you are asking. Does that change anything?

Thank you

Old 06-08-2005, 06:51 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

irys HB User

Last time I had bloodwork done, my cortisol result was high too.. 26.1 (5.0-23.0)

my doc asked me if I was stressed out at all - but didn't seem overly concerned.. I'm not sure if I should persue it further or not..

Closed Thread