It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2005, 11:58 AM   #1
(female)

CaliSD HB User
Sore soles anyone?

Hi,
my problem is that sometimes the soles of my feet hurt/burn/tingle when i walk my dog. I noticed the shoes make a big difference, flat shoes are the worst. Even very expensive and comfortable (ecco) shoes are giving me same problem. However when i hike the mountains my feet are just fine.

I have underactive thyroid gland, (taking synthroid med ) and one of the symptoms of hypothyroidism is hand and foot pain... could this be that problem? My doctor doesnt think so...
sometimes the tingling starts in my soles, moves up my leg and makes me light headed for a while...
Any ideas are appreciated!

Old 06-08-2005, 12:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Re: Sore soles anyone?

Oh yes pain in of the feet is definitely a hypo symptom. I had that problem. My feet were swollen and it felt like I had ingrown toenails(but I didn't have).The bottoms of them would hurt.

I would say it is from the edema associated with hypothyroidism, but I am not sure.

I also had trouble bending my legs and pain in my knees. Not much hand problem, accept for numbness.

Did you doctor give you any possibilities that could be causing this pain?

Last edited by Lady50; 06-08-2005 at 12:21 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2005, 12:48 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

OraEtLabora HB User

Lady50

Unbelievable! Pain in my hands and feet started 16 years ago, in the 5th month of my pregnancy. I woke up one morning, got out of bed, and nearly fell because I was unprepared for the pain in my feet. Then, I grabbed a door knob to keep from falling over, and almost fell a second time as the pain in my hands shot up into my arms. Now, I realize that this was classic thyroid symptom - nonetheless, my docs never even tested my thyroid. They just looked at me like I was nuts when I told them how much pain I was in, mostly hands and feet (to start). 16 years later, with no treatment until recently, I'm still in so much pain I am now on massive doses of narcotics, which barely cut the pain.

CaliSD

The pain in my feet worsened dramatically when I went through menopause and my estrogen level dropped. Don't know where you are on that spectrum, but possibly due to my low thyroid, my female hormone fluctuations exacerbated my pain. I can't explain why you get it when you walk your dog and not when you mountain hike. My pain was consistently the same, no matter what I was doing. It only worsened during menopause.

Old 06-08-2005, 01:30 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

shellshocked HB User

THe bottom of my right foot hurt like crazy for years. I wore hiking boots all the time. Got some relief from taking Glucosomine (sp?)---but when my thyroid dose is good---I have no pain at all.

Old 06-08-2005, 01:34 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

OraEtLabora HB User

Shellshocked

Thanks for giving me hope!!!!! Since I've been in so much pain for over 16 years (pain that I KNOW is caused by my thyroid problems), I have been despairing over whether or not I will ever get a resolution to that horrible symptom, even with thyroid hormone. I've only just been treated for little over a year, and on Armour only since September, so I realize it may take a long time to see any real relief. I don't know of many people who had pain for years and years that found relief.

Thanks again!

Old 06-08-2005, 03:07 PM   #6
(female)

CaliSD HB User

I was lucky that my doctor diagnosed my thyroid problem early on, so i never had the severe symptoms as many do....
But because of my new insurance i switched Synthroid for generic (Levoxyl) , and 4 months later i started having symptoms again (foot pain and anxiety)
Now i am back on Synthroid and hoping for the best... Good luck to us all!!!!!!!

Old 06-08-2005, 08:32 PM   #7
(female)

Ltraci2 HB User

I've been having lots of heel pain too - doc said it is plantar fasciitis. Some relief comes from the jellies you can put in the heels or some good inserts with an arch. There is also a runner's stretch you can do. Put one foot in front the other, keep the back leg straight, bend the front leg at the knee and place your hands on a wall for support. Let it pull thru the bottom of the calf - the sore part of the heel is connected from the middle of your arch past your heel and up the back of your leg a bit (so the doc said). Then put a slight bend in your back leg to stretch another part of the same muscle. Do this when the foot isn't as sore.

Interesting enough, when I found this last doc (see one my recent posts) she told me that feet problems - plantar fasciitis and the like are another thyroid symptom.

Oh, and don't go barefoot - always have good arch support and such on your foot.

Old 06-09-2005, 10:31 AM   #8
(female)

CaliSD HB User

I love these boards.... the answer to a problem can be so simple...

I work out of my home in soCalifornia , so i walk around barefooted all day long.
Today I tried to wear 2" heel vedge slip~ons, (beats hiking boots) and yupieeeeeee, no pain!
THANKS!

Closed Thread