It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2005, 01:22 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

OraEtLabora HB User
Totally non-functional 'til about 3PM

I guess I've never been a "morning" person, but lately my fatigue in the morning has been so bad that I can't even get dressed. I feel like I'm in a semi-coma. Just really out of it - can't stay awake, exhausted, lethargic, etc. Then, like clockwork, I perk up around 3PM am fine for a couple of hours. It's like night and day almost. And yet, once in awhile, I will be fine when I wake up, and I can get things done all morning. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to it, though - I can't predict when I will have a "good" day, but they are rare.

I have Hashi's, am recovering from a total hysterectomy 10 weeks ago, am on 180mg. Armour, bio-identical Estrogen/Progesterone, and 10mg. Cortef for adrenal fatigue. (Really thought the Cortef would help with this morning lethargy, but hasn't so far. Do you need to be on it for months before it works?)

Does anyone else experience anything like this?

Old 06-08-2005, 02:20 PM   #2
(female)

MLWC HB User
Re: Totally non-functional 'til about 3PM

Yep!
I have Hashi's too and I'm actually ON meds and I still don't know how I'm going to wake up in the morning!

To give credit where it's due, though...I have had a few more 'normal' feeling days than 'coma' days since I've been on the meds, but the frustration is not knowing what the next day will be. And then when you find out it's going to be one of THOSE days, you can hardly do anything at all except PUSH yourself to get through.

It's all part of the disease--hooray! (not)

Hang in there!!
MLWC

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2005, 03:38 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

pixiek HB User

Well, you just had a major operation not so long ago. I can imagine with the Hashis and that your poor body must be tired. It sounds like you are doing all the right things...one other suggestion, I had a friend who had great results with vitamin B complex (take it away from thyroid meds) for her fatigue...maybe it would work for you, too. Hope this helps.

Last edited by pixiek; 06-08-2005 at 03:39 PM.

Old 06-09-2005, 08:10 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OraEtLabora
Then, like clockwork, I perk up around 3PM am fine for a couple of hours. It's like night and day almost. 180mg. Armour, bio-identical Estrogen/Progesterone, and 10mg. Cortef for adrenal fatigue.
OraET,

...like clockwork ... Perhaps your body clock is out of whack, still adjusting to major changes? Something to think about, has the pattern been changing at all in the past few weeks, and is there anything that could be contrib. to that?

If I recall correctly, you're working w/your doc on all the hormones. Are your labs showing your free T hormone levels in range? If not ... might it be taking a bit longer to achieve that?

I'd encourage you to continue monitoring your E2 & progesterone plasma levels. Progesterone is a very grog-ifying hormone.

Is there anything about the time of dosing for the various hormones that could be adjusted to improve things? Ck w/your doc ...

It seems to me that many hormones are naturally released by our bodies in fits & spurts throughout the day. Yet when we do replacement, we pop in one huge dose --that's what I do, anyway. Have wondered, just like diabetics receive superior blood sugar control w/an insulin pump & typically less -overall insulin than standard dosing, would some of us do better w/mini-pulses of hormone delivery?

The evidence on hormone half-life suggests not, but IMO that should be considered in light of natural patterns & the general evidence for a balance between hormone quantity, carriers, and receptors. I question whether one-shot dosing may contribute to resistance issues. Purely theoretical.

Sorry to go off on a tangent. Good luck w/your mystery ... keep us informed.
Lor.

Old 06-09-2005, 08:18 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User

Your body has been through a lot lately.

I went through that for a while, could barely make it out of bed. THen when I did I would go straight to the couch. Barely made it to the shower a lot of days. After a while though it seemed more of a habit. I FORCED myself to wake up at a certain time. I would not allow myself to get on the couch. I would either come on here check email to keep me "perked" or get in the shower right away. Now I can't say I am 100% but I feel better. I don't feel so bleh. lol My house is a mess though. But physically I don't feel so smeared. It's a lot harder some days and once in a while I give in but I usually try to push myself.

I know its hard.

April

Old 06-09-2005, 11:28 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

OraEtLabora HB User

Thank you, everyone, for your help. I love this board - the people on it have helped me so much.

Actually, I've had 3 surgeries this year - one if Feb. and 2 in March, so I guess it makes sense that I'd be really fatigued. For awhile, I thought it was because my Progesterone was so high, and that might still be some of it. WHen I quit taking the progesterone, I felt pretty good for a couple of days. Then, it all came back again, for a day, and then 2 really good days. So, don't know what to think! I'm having blood work done in another 2 weeks, so maybe will know more then what my thryoid and other hormone levels are. I do believe my thyroid is still quite low.

I've been trying different dosing times, splitting my Armour into 3 separate doses, taking my 10mg. Cortef in the middle of the night (so maybe it would "kick in" by 7AM), splitting the Cortef into 2 doses, - many different things. I've even started taking 25mcg Levoxyl (had some left over from another doc) with my morning Armour dose just to see if that helps (so far, it hasn't).

Elmhar, I think you're right about the pump thing. I've often thought myself that there is no way we can mimick the body's hormone release by just taking one dose, or even 2 or 3 at varying times. It amazes me how much is NOT known about our hormones. I think it's because Endos already think they know everything, and that there is nothing more for them to learn......

It does help to know that others experience this. I've been taking a multivitamin with all the B's in it for years. I suppose if I weren't taking it, I would be functioning at all, so should be happy to have a few hours in the afternoon. Like April, I wonder sometimes if this can become a habit - and I'm sure it can. It's a constant struggle to just do the simplest tasks, and would be so easy to just not do them because I don't feel like it.

BUt, life goes on. Thanks again for all your help. I'll keep you posted!

Old 06-09-2005, 11:33 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

irys HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilPow
But physically I don't feel so smeared.

Hah. "smeared"

That's a great term to describe how I feel today...
I'll hafta use that from time to time.

Old 06-09-2005, 09:54 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilPow
Now I can't say I am 100% but I feel better. I don't feel so bleh. lol My house is a mess though. But physically I don't feel so smeared.
A perfectly apt description for my state as well.
Thanks, April

Lor

Closed Thread