It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2005, 01:33 PM   #1

Hyhair14 HB User
Some results - any input

Hey all - Hope all is well.

Have not been here for a long time..I posted some of my results in 2002 and 2003 and just had my latest annual physical. I have not been diagnosed with a thyroid problem and yes, I have told the doctor my symptoms.

Latest Results:
TSH 2.3 (lab range 0.3-4.2)
Free T4 16 (lab range 12-22)

I asked for a Free T3 but it looks like the hospital did not provide the info.

In 2002, I had 1 TSH result at 2.5 but mostly my TSH since than has been in the 1.75 range. As for my Free T4, I am always in the 14-16 range, with the lab normal range usually 10-25. This is the first time that the lab range was different.

Despite my symptoms, the numbers look ok, right?

Old 06-08-2005, 01:44 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

OraEtLabora HB User
Re: Some results - any input

HyHair 14

Your numbers look good, but that doesn't mean there isn't something causing your symptoms. Have you had anti-thyroid antibodies done? My TSH and T4 were normal for years and years, while my symptoms became debilitating. I ended up disabled from my job, and suffering horribly. It wasn't until I had antibodies tested, and UltraSound, and Uptake done that the disorder could be seen - all of those tests were extremely abnormal.

Many people with high antibody titres can have debilitating symptoms, even with "normal" lab values. If you have symptoms that are consistent with thyroid disease, I URGE you not to accept these "normal" values as meaning your thyroid is fine. I did that for 15 years, and lost my home, my profession, my husband, possibility of having children, income, and more, because of the disability caused by the autoimmune thyroid disease, and the doctors failure to dx it because of their total reliance on my "normal" lab values.

Please don't let that happen to you. If you get those other tests done, and they are normal, and your thyroid is healthy as can be, then all you will be is wrong. If you dont get them done, and your thyroid was, like mine, severely diseased, then you may end up like me, and millions like me, who were mis-diagnosed for too long.

Good luck, and please keep us posted!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2005, 01:52 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

SarahF HB User

actually your T4 is way low... you'd feel better if it was up towards the high end... Most people feel best with T's in the UPPER third to fourth of the range.
And a TSH that high would make me feel sick.

Too bad you didn't have T3 to look at.... But I'd bet it is low too.

Old 06-08-2005, 02:25 PM   #4

Hyhair14 HB User

Thanks for the quick replies.

As for getting the additional tests, I think I may find it difficult for my GP to agree to those tests, based on my physical and results. I would like to test them just to be sure and living in Canada, I am not so sure if I can just walk in off the street and ask for them. By the way, what exactly are the antibody tests I should ask for?

As for the results being low...I am surprised, aren't my values virtually the midpoint between the upper and lower limit?

Thanks again.

Old 06-08-2005, 03:05 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

wxKathy2 HB User

Hi - I had normal values for years - and I gained 60 lbs and turned into a mental zombie - all the while my thyroid numbers were "normal" - finally I went to an endocrinologist who discovered a thyroid nodule with ultrasound and put me on synthroid. I have lost 30 lbs - but have a long way to go - but I sure was sick even though all my thyroid blood tests were normal....And my anti-body tests were even negative....so I would definitely have more tests - the AB tests (I can't remember the names - someone else?) and an ultrasound of the thyroid....
Take care,
Kathy

Old 06-08-2005, 04:11 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

OraEtLabora HB User

Anti-microsomal (otherwise known as Anti-Peroxidase, or TPO), and Anti-thyroglobulin. There are others, but these are the most common. Hashi's people can have both, but many, like me, have only anti-microsomal.

Many people feel better with their TSH around 1, or between 1 and 2. So, it can be said that your TSH is "high" - but it all depends on how YOU feel at different levels. I felt lousy at 1.6, but much better at 0. It is not a "one size fits all" thing at all, but very individualized.

Closed Thread