It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2005, 11:58 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

pixiek HB User
My 12 yr. old Daughter - help please!

HI I have been posting on myself, but it seems I now need help with my daughter.

When my daughter was eight years old she became sick with these symptoms:heachache, dizziness, heavy eyes, no energy, feeling cold, foggy head...sounds like classis hypo doesn't it? I had her tested then.

Here are her results when she wass eight.
TSH 1.61, FT3 3.36 and FT4 0.89....I believe ranges are FT4 0.9 - 1.7 and FT3 2.3 - 4.2 and TSH of 0.35 to 4.58. ALso her cortisol was 6.7 and LDH was 403.

At the time I was going through Graves so that is why I wanted her tested. At the time I was not aware of hypo symptoms so when they told me no problem with the thyroid, I believed them!!!!

In recent years her symptoms have improved, and lessened, but never disappeared. She has never had a growth problem. I recently had her tested again and her numbers were FT3 4.09 FT4 1.02 and TSH 0.926. Again ranges are ranges are FT4 0.9 - 1.7 and FT3 2.3 - 4.2 and TSH of 0.35 to 4.58.

She still suffers from foggy head off and on, very sensitive to heat, tends to have lower body temperature and sometimes get leg aches.

I believe she is hypothyroid. I read a case of another person and she had "early" thyroid failure. In that case, she said that the thyroid will increase its conversion of the inactive T4 to T3. So blood tests will often come back with free T3 being normal, but free T4 on the low end. This means that the thyroid has lost it's stores of hormones and is not keeping up.

What do you guys think? Also I really, really need advise on possible meds that may be best for her....like amounts and kinds...Armour, or synthoid....all help is really, really appreciated.!

Last edited by pixiek; 06-09-2005 at 12:00 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2005, 10:35 PM   #2
(female)

Seastar HB User
Re: My 12 yr. old Daughter - help please!

Pixie,

I am so sorry to hear about what you and your daughter are going through. I don't know if this will help at all, but I hope so.
I first started getting sick when I was about ten years old. Lots of what they thought was strep throat with difficult swallowing and also leg pains and low body temperature. It seemed to come and go, and the doctors passed it off as growing pains or stress despite the fact that my father, grandmother and two half sisters all have thyroid problems. By the time I was fourteen I had headaches and dizziness, lost all of my energy and was always freezing. I was in and out of school because I was so sick and exhausted. I've been struggling with this as it has progressed for the last 6 years. My blood results were always borderline normal for thyroid so I didn't receive treatment...until now.
I don't know enough about dosages or medications yet since I just started getting help, but I would say that it sounds pretty similar. Also, since you have a thyroid problem, that points even more strongly to the possibility. My recent thyroid ultrasound showed increased lymph nodes and swelling, so maybe that type of test would help with a diagnosis for your daughter? I would say that it's definitely worth checking into with a doctor who doesn't just go by bloodwork but who really listens to what you're going through.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. It sounds like you're on the right track!
Best of luck,
A.

Old 06-09-2005, 11:23 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

pixiek HB User
Re: My 12 yr. old Daughter - help please!

Hi! I appreciate your story! I am so sorry you went and are going through that...I feel so bad for my daughter...of all the things to inherit! I am going to get her all tested up next week...if I can help her feel better, I want to do it! Thank you for your post...I hope your treatment is going well!

Closed Thread