It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2005, 06:57 AM   #1
(female)

MLWC HB User
Where do you ache?? Joints? Muscles?

Hey everyone--
Please answer me this--if you have joint pain/stiffness with the hypo/Hashi's, where does it most bother you?

I ask because every morning when I get out of bed, my FEET are just a disaster. They are so stiff and it hurts to walk on them. What the heck is THAT?

My upper back is a mess. Massage therapist told me I have had spasms in my rhomboid muscles and now they've gotten fibrous and stiff. That could be due to stress or working I guess. Do you guys have pronounced muscle soreness as well as joint problems?

Also, my damn hip is bothering me, too...good lord, I sound like an old dog...

Any good ideas for helping this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2005, 08:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Where do you ache?? Joints? Muscles?

Quote:
Where do you ache?? Joints? Muscles?
Yep and yep.
My feet hurt something awful to tie my tennies over the tops, and at night, they cramped. It was painful to walk as well. But that only began to be a problem for a short time before I started treatment.

The spasms and stiffness in my upper back/shoulders/neck were the very worst part! It had been a problem for at least 10 years. The autumn before the spring when I was diagnosed, I'd had my first professional therapeutic massage. The therapist told me she couldn't get at the muscles to loosen them up... that they were too tight for her to do anything with.

Both problems are now 90% better since I've been stable. I'm still prone to the upper body stiffness, but I can 'work it out' now, where I couldn't before.
I still get a few twinges and cramps in the feet, but nothing even close to what it was.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2005, 08:54 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User

Hello! I have had joint pain/stiffness as well as tendonitis just about everywhere (and it all comes on at the same time). It's the most pronounced in my hips (pain mostly on the right) and shoulders. I also have a lot of accompanying weakness (I knew this already but my neurological exam confirmed it). Rheumatologist thought I might have early RA. Oh and yes morning is by FAR the worst!

I know what you mean about sounding like an old dog!! I'm 28 and had to use a cane last fall due to weakness in my hips!! I felt silly but like my husband said I'd feel a lot sillier if I fell down and had to have someone carry me somewhere .

I started at 25mcg of levothyroxine and then it was upped to 50. By the second week on that dosage I had only the tunnel (I have carpal cubital and tarsal tunnel pain) pain left. I just switched to Armour 6 days ago and I think I need the dosage upped because my achiness is coming back (especially in my right shoulder). I cannot even tell you how much better I feel. I never dreamed I'd feel well again. I really thought that I was destined to feeling like dirt for the rest of my life. It has been a dramatic difference for me!

I honestly hope for the same for you!

Love and Prayers, Kelly

P.S. I go to a chiropractor and that has GREATLY reduced my neck and shoulder stiffness

Edited for misspellings

Last edited by ASDGRMama; 06-09-2005 at 08:57 AM.

Old 06-09-2005, 09:12 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

irys HB User

upper back/shoulders/neck areas are my problem areas. I've been seeing a chiro for about a year now, and that has helped some. They have commented on how tight my shoulder muscles are, and wonder how I put up with it (like I have much choice?)

It doesn't help that I have TMJ which just adds to the muscle tension..

Old 06-09-2005, 09:36 AM   #5
(female)

Jo-chan HB User

Upper back/neck/shoulders is where I have most of my aches and pains. They are sore to the touch all the time...like I worked out really hard the day before. Sometimes my legs ache, and it's different from the soreness I feel in my back/neck/shoulders. The best way I can think to describe it is like a bone-ache, coming from deep inside.

I also have lower back pain and various "trigger points" all over my body (this is a fibromyalgia term, which I also have). Since I've been taking Armour I've been feeling much better when I get up in the morning, as opposed to feeling like a train ran over me in my sleep. Also, my back/neck/shoulder pain has lessened since I quit my office job and started working from home.

Old 06-09-2005, 12:28 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

SarahF HB User

Yes Yes Yes
Did you know that hypothyroids are more prone to myofascial pain? And develop trigger points? Actually TENDER points is the fibromyalgia term - and yep - I got that too.

The broken glass feeling on the bottom of the feet - plantar fasciitis - mine goes away when my thyroid levels are better. Upper back pain - really messed up traps and SCM's and TMJ - my massage therapist works on my masseters and pterygoids

Also my thigh muscles ache when I am most tired.

And my hip hurts too - which means I'll be at the chiropractor tomorrow shortly before I go for my massage.

Old 06-09-2005, 12:37 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

OraEtLabora HB User

I call my pain my "total body throb". My sister actually coined the term to describe her pain, which she had until they found out she was hypo - after a few months of treatment, her pain went away totally. I've had it since 1986 - started in the left hip, then my hands and feet, then neck, shoulders, back, legs, arms, torso. All my joints and muscles are affected, as well as the soft tissue. I have nodules under my skin, all over, that hurt like crazy, and refer pain to other areas. I've been in such pain for so long that even my insides hurt - my stomach, my uterus (until it was removed).

I have been praying that the thryoid treatment will lessen the pain some. So far, nothing. I would give almost anything to be free of this pain.

Old 06-09-2005, 02:10 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

shellshocked HB User

I had the whole body throb on a too low dose of thyroid meds. I also became extremely bloated. During this episode, the pain started in my elbows and eventually affected every joint in my body---including my back.
With the whole body throb, I could actually feel waves of pain as they passed down from my head and shoulders to my ankles and feet. It was a really weird sensation---like something was crawling under your skin.

Old 06-09-2005, 03:12 PM   #9
(female)

MLWC HB User

This is amazing!
I thought that my upper back was just messed up from exercising..for the last few weeks I thought it was my pillow for cryin' out Pete!!

I have those 'knots' on both sides of my back right around the inside of the shoulder blade. There is referred pain from my neck, too. (luckily, no TMJ, but my shoulders are shot)

The feet are a little funny...I wouldn't call it 'broken glass' but more like they've been cramped up ALL night and now I'm trying to walk on them. They'll even get like that for short durations when I'm watching TV and stuff.
And I don't wear dress shoes at work either...so it's not like they're cramped up.

Another thing I noticed is that sometimes I get this sensation like a mosquito just landed on me...like a crawl-y type feeling. But when I look there's nothing there. Sometimes it drives me nuts!

There's also muscle weakness, but that's a whole different story! I find that it seems my muscles look fattier, but that is probably metabolism, too.

Is there any reason why this soft tissue/joint problem occurs in hypo people?? Will it eventually reverse itself or does it get worse before it gets better?
Also, does anyone here have Raynaud's? (either officially diagnosed or that you think you might have it?) Maybe linked to hypoT?

MLWC

Closed Thread