It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2005, 12:09 PM   #1
(male)

JohnnyBoy113 HB User
Saw A New Endo Today With Mixed Results

I saw a new endo today to get a second opinion because the synthryoid 0.088 I've been on hasn't really helped my symptoms except for my shoulder pains. I have severe constipation and severe stomach emptying problem along with a whole host of other symptoms like anxiety, depression, sensitivity to heat, dry skin, mood changes, forgetfulness...etc. Anyways, since my TSH was in the normal range of 1.7 she said that my thyroid is not causing any of these symptoms...it's something else. However, she did give me Armour thyroid at my request. I think it's Armour 90...is that the equivalent of synthyroid 0.088? Oh, she also said armour comes from beef and that my body shouldn't have any problems with converting t4 into t3...thus it's pointless to take armour. She was rather rude and kept cutting me off whenever I tried to tell her my symptoms. At the end of the session she concluded that my depression is causing EVERYTHING. Come on...the gastro problems? Possibly she said. I've never had my free t3 tested but I did have my total t3 tested. My total t3 went down since taking synthyroid and I showed her my blood work. She said that it's a lab error. She also said my sensitivity to heat is NOT hypothyroidism. What gives? Well, at least I got armour out of her and she's going to test my free t3, free t4, and TSH level in four weeks. I still think I should find a different endo...I don't trust her.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2005, 12:35 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

shellshocked HB User
Re: Saw A New Endo Today With Mixed Results

She sounds like a lazy doctor.
If your lab results were a lab error----why is she treating you with inaccurate information?
I wouldn't trust her either.

Old 06-09-2005, 01:24 PM   #3
(female)

fatiguegalore HB User

Johnnyboy:

This sounds EXACTLY like my endo, who is also a woman. You don't happen to be in Ky, do you?

Mine WILL NOT test for free T3 or total T3 and WILL NOT treat for a TSH of under 4 and kept interrupting me when I was telling her my symptoms. Was very rude and ended up virtually throwing a synthroid 50 mcg sample pack at me as she ushered me out the door.

Fatiguegalore

Old 06-09-2005, 01:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoy113
I saw a new endo today to get a second opinion because the synthryoid 0.088 I've been on hasn't really helped my symptoms except for my shoulder pains. I have severe constipation and severe stomach emptying problem along with a whole host of other symptoms like anxiety, depression, sensitivity to heat, dry skin, mood changes, forgetfulness...etc. Anyways, since my TSH was in the normal range of 1.7 she said that my thyroid is not causing any of these symptoms...it's something else. However, she did give me Armour thyroid at my request. I think it's Armour 90...is that the equivalent of synthyroid 0.088? Oh, she also said armour comes from beef and that my body shouldn't have any problems with converting t4 into t3...thus it's pointless to take armour. She was rather rude and kept cutting me off whenever I tried to tell her my symptoms. At the end of the session she concluded that my depression is causing EVERYTHING. Come on...the gastro problems? Possibly she said. I've never had my free t3 tested but I did have my total t3 tested. My total t3 went down since taking synthyroid and I showed her my blood work. She said that it's a lab error. She also said my sensitivity to heat is NOT hypothyroidism. What gives? Well, at least I got armour out of her and she's going to test my free t3, free t4, and TSH level in four weeks. I still think I should find a different endo...I don't trust her.
i would lose this doctor STAT -- she's inept, and ought not call herself a doctor ... a lab error? pointless to take armour? comes from beef?

i agree with shellshocked, in spades ... and depression does not cause constipation!!

jb

Old 06-09-2005, 01:56 PM   #5
Veteran

inyourdreams HB User

I received a survey last year from my insurance company about how I would rate the Dr and his staff, etc.

Why don't you find out if your insurance company has one of these (if you're covered with this Dr) and fill it out and tell exactly what they're doing?

I ripped into my Dr on that form and haven't been back since. Yes, he's still in practice but I felt a lot better telling it like it is. How he never looks up from the chart, that REALLY ticks me off.

Too bad the AMA or whoever it is, doesn't have a place to file letters of complaint. I am just so sick of reading about these Drs that are lazy, etc.

I got thrown pills to me too on the way out the door, but they were always for ANXIETY.

Old 06-09-2005, 04:01 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

SarahF HB User

I have the SAME EXACT symptoms as you
I was Dx at 1.8 TSH - fortunately for me, my doctor is a SAINT.
I was in the office today for a magnesium shot (for my fibromyalgia) and getting a refill script for my Armour... as he was filling it out he turned and looked at me and asked if it was still working okay for me - did I think I needed more. He was offering me more based on my symptoms. WOW

After I hear all the problems people have with their doctors, I just want to hug the man.

Old 06-09-2005, 04:30 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

OraEtLabora HB User

sarah,

Years ago, I was being given Mg shots by a doc who also had Fibro. He died, and I never found anyone else to give the shots to me, but they REALLY helped me. Does the Mg. help you? I have taken it orally since, but have never experienced the relief of some of my muscle pain as I did with the injections. Of course, now I believe the "Fibro" was a symptom of my Hashi's that was undiagnosed at the time, but I could still use some of that IM Mg!

Old 06-09-2005, 05:42 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

shellshocked HB User

If diabetics can give themselves shots, why not others? If IM magnesium helps you---and you're taking it under the direction of a doctor why not? Same goes for B-12 shots.

Old 06-09-2005, 05:59 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

OraEtLabora HB User

shellshocked,

That's a good point.... I might ask my doc next time I see him if that would be possible....

Old 06-09-2005, 06:51 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

SarahF HB User

Oh it works great
and I know that other patients of his give themselves shots at home

I think my fibro is from the thyroid disease

Old 06-09-2005, 07:02 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

shellshocked HB User

SarahF---I'm sorry to hear you have Fibro. I've read somethings from people suffering from it on another message board, and how debilitating it is.
I heard Fibro described as Hypothyroidism on steroids. That made it much easier for me to understand it. I hope you're doing well.

Old 06-09-2005, 07:07 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

SarahF HB User

I think because my thyroid is relatively stable I'm more okay than other people with it
I do also have Chronic myofascial pain, too so that just adds to the joy *grin*

Old 06-09-2005, 07:32 PM   #13
(male)

JohnnyBoy113 HB User

Thx for all the input everyone. I found this particular doctor on armour website after doing a search for a doctor in my area. I figured I struck it rich after talking to her receptionist and being told that she'll prescribe armour based on symptoms (to me that sounded like she didn't rely heavily on lab work). Boy was I wrong. She took one at my lowered TSH level and said, "Why are you here? You're no long hypothyroid." I think I'm going to take everyone's advice and dump her and search for a new doctor. It's really hard though to find to good doctor to treat thyroid conditions. Maybe I'll go the holistic route. I'm hoping the armour will be able to get some of these gastro symptoms to lessen...because they are far and away my worst symptoms. Some days I can barely manage a thousand calories because I get so full from small amounts of food. I hate it! My GP said if things don't improve soon he's going to put a feeding tube down my throat...which is really scaring me...meanwhile no one can find any reason for the delayed stomach emptying. Although a friend told me that since I've been experiencing many of these symptoms for over six years it's possible that I've been hypothyroid for so long that things just got worse and worse. Now I wish I went to a doctor earlier when I had the skin flushing problem and the worsening anxiety...but I doubt a doctor would've looked at my thyroid. I'm getting so sick of doctors.

Old 06-09-2005, 07:39 PM   #14
(male)

JohnnyBoy113 HB User

Sarah...have your gastro symptoms dissipated since treatment for your thyroid began?

Old 06-09-2005, 07:58 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
I think it's Armour 90...is that the equivalent of synthyroid 0.088?
If she did give you 90 mgs, that's another goof she made. The approximate ratio of Armour to Synthroid would be 90 mgs/111-150 mcgs. One grain (60 mgs) would be closer to the dose you've been taking. That's not to say it's necessarily too high; maybe you could stand a little increase. Just be aware of the signs of overmedication so you'll know if you should cut back.

Her ignorance is appalling! Keep your chin up! At least you have your Armour for now, and you can find a good doctor to match in due time.

Closed Thread