It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2005, 03:16 PM   #1
(female)

litlmoo HB User
Red face Need Advice

I need advice please. I am feeling so frustrated right now that I cant make anyone belive me that something is wrong. My TSH is at 5.16 (maybe higher) and thats pretty much all I have to go on right now. I went to the Dr. and he said that there is noting wrong with me. Now i am questioning myself. Am I just being a hypochondriac? I have seen a few dr.s over the years and they all say that I am fine. Nothing further just that I am fine and it must be depression and that i need to see a shrink... I dont have insurance so I cant just change Dr.s when I want. I can only go to a clinic 2 times a mth. That is where I saw my previous Dr. that said that I am fine. That some people just burn calories slower and I just need to eat less. If i eat anyless I will die of malnutrition!! I just dont know what to do. Is he right?? Is there really something wrong with me?? I dont know what to do....

Has anyone gone to an out of the pocket Dr.? How much did you have to spend? I have an appt. with one on June 15 but the intial visit is going to be $200+ I dont have that kind of money I am only 24. And all follow up visits are $80. He dosent accept insurance. I called and questioned his nurse and he seams like he is a good Dr. but I dont have $200 to find out hes not. Does anyone have any advice??

Thank you in advance

Old 06-09-2005, 03:53 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

SarahF HB User
Re: Need Advice

With a TSH that high you are hypothyroid. Take information for him to read.

As far as insurance goes... see if you insurance will reimburse you for the out of pocket... some will.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2005, 05:08 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

pixiek HB User
Re: Need Advice

So sorry you are not feeling well! We have and many of us still are very familiar with your shoes! No way are you a hypochondriac and don't let any doctor tell you so. You are most likely hypothyroid...you may have Hashimotos disease...won't know until you are properly tested. If you talk to the nurse ( and sounds like you did but may want to again), make sure that he will tests for not only TSH, but will also test for FT4, FT3 and the antibodies for Hashimotos disease. Make sure the doctor will treat you appropriately meaning that not just by lab numbers, but also by symptoms. ...which are MOST important. You might try asking at what TSH number does the doctor usually recommend treatment for thyroid meds. If he is following the most recent guidlines it would be 0.3 to 2.5....and I have read most normal people run a TSH of between 0.3 and 1.0. You may also want to check if he prescribes a variety of meds such as Armour, Cytomel (T3) Levothroid, and Thyrolar to name a few...you may do well on one but not on another. Don't be afraid to ask...I have heard of others calling around various doctors and interviewing the nurses....as you said it is a LOT of money and you deserve to get your money's worth! Read through the various threads, read books, and the net and try to educate yourself on hypothyrodism as much as you can before the appointment...knowledge is power and you will feel more confident talking about your condition with him and will not be easily swayed to believe "it is in your head". This will also expedite your treatment and truely put you in control of your recovery. Hope this helps and good luck!

Last edited by pixiek; 06-10-2005 at 05:13 AM.

Closed Thread