It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2005, 03:55 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Meds and Blood Tests

Hi everyone. I had an appointment this morning at 8:30 to have blood tests done to see where my levels are. The doctor's office had to cancel it and rescheduled it for Monday at 1:30 pm. They had no morning appointment available the entire week.

I usually take my meds at 6:30-7:00 am and again at 1:00 pm. I have read here that you should not take them before blood testing. I wanted to go early so I would be late taking only one dose. Now that I am going at 1:30 I am not sure what to do. I feel pretty lousy so I really do not want to miss the morning dose.

What would you guys do? Do you think it is okay to take the early dose and take the later dose after the blood is taken?

Thanks for any advice!

Old 06-09-2005, 04:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kitkat77 HB User
Re: Meds and Blood Tests

For myself, I do not take any meds at all before going in for bloodwork. I have missed a day taking my Synthroid anyhow and it's not made a difference.

Incidentally, where I'm from (Canada) the doctor isn't the one who takes the blood anyhow so an appointment is not necessary at all. We are just told to show up in the morning and go straight to the lab for bloodwork. Do you really need an appointment? I mean it's not like the doctor can check levels immediately anyhow - at least not over here. We have to wait at least a week for results!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2005, 07:44 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Meds and Blood Tests

Because there are doctors who will reduce a dose based on the artificially high levels that result when that day's med is taken before the test, I wouldn't risk it.

Is it possible that you could take the first dose in the middle of the night.... perhaps when you rise to use the bathroom? Or maybe you could set an alarm to give you at least 8 hours between the dose and the blood draw?
Here is the URL to a post that Meep wrote last fall explaining dose/blood draw and timing, and a portion of what it says ~
http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=211070&

• If you are taking Synthroid or any other T4-only med within 8 hours of a blood test, it will skew your FreeT4 test, but not Total T4, Free T3, Total T3, T3 Uptake or TSH.
  • If you are taking Armour (or any combination of T3 and T4) within 8 hours of a blood test, it will skew your Free T3 and Free T4, but shouldn't have an effect on Total T3, Total T4, T3 Uptake, or TSH.
  • If you are taking Cytomel within 8 hours of a blood test, it will skew your FreeT3 test, but not Total T3, Free T4, Total T4, T3 Uptake or TSH.

Closed Thread