It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2005, 08:44 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

shellshocked HB User
Thoughts on Lab Results

My TSH rose from 0.012L uIU/mL to 7.58 uIU/mL in two months time due to a drop in synthroid dose from 175 to 100.
Anybody have a rapid rise like this? I had some unusal reactions---and I'm trying to figure things out since the doctor "fired" me after he messed up so bad.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2005, 05:00 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Re: Thoughts on Lab Results

Yes I would say your doctor messed up very bad. You should have fired the doc instead of the doc firing you huh?

Looks like a new doc that knows something about thyroid disorders would be what you need desperately.

I see this undertreatment of people with thyroid problems everywhere. Don't let yourself fall victim to this undertreatment.

Hope that you can find a doc that will treat by SYMPTOMS.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2005, 07:34 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

OraEtLabora HB User

I swear, these Endo's are so arrogent! Seems they specialize in discharging patients for their own inability to make the person well. I saw a doc who thought my hypo symptoms were hyper because my TSH was falsely decreased due to my regular doc giving me cortisone shots. (As a former Lab Tech I knew that was the reason it was so low, yet he didn't believe me). He was going to irradiate my thyroid to kill it. I asked to go to another doc, but in the same practice. By the time I saw her, my TSH was back up to normal, and she dx me with hypo, but refused to believe I had a cold nodule, even though 2 radiologists palpated it, and noted it prominently in two places in their report. Ikept asking for the nodule to be aspirated to rule out cancer, but she kept telling me there was no nodule. So, I asked for another opinion, and she discharged me from the practice entirely. I went to a different Endo at a different practice, and he found the nodule in about 3 seconds, did a FNA, and it was benign.

After I was discharged from the first practice, another Endo from that practice came into my hospital room after my hysterectomy and told me he was consulted by my doc because of my 0 TSH (being deliberately suppressed by my Holistic MD), he took me off my thyroid meds to get my TSH back up, told me my Holistic doc was a quack who was in medicine only for the money, told me he was ruining my health, and when I started to cry, he told me to come see him when I was discharged and he would answer any questions I had about my care. When I called him after my discharge from the hospital, he refused to see me because I was discharged from that practice the year before by his collegue!

In less than 3 weeks, my TSH went from 0 to almost 5! And my FT3 and Ft4, which were perfectly normal when I went into the hospital, were both way below normal. I was having anxiety attacks, chills, shakes, flushing, and more, all because of the arrogance of the Endo who scared me so badly I was afraid to go back to my Holistic doc, but was refused treatment by the Endo!

I'm still considering filing a formal complaint!

Old 06-10-2005, 08:35 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

shellshocked HB User

Thanks for sharing your experiences.
I am in the process of collecting all my past medical records----it's going to be a job since I have been to so many darn doctors---but I am starting to put the pieces of the puzzle together.
I am convinced that too many doctors are lazy and hide behind a facade of arrogance. They promise things on which they don't follow through on and "string you along".
I am looking at doing the independent "order your own tests" lab if I don't find someone who has done more complete thyroid testing that reflect the t-3 and t-4.
I am still trying/waiting to get copies of labs from six different places. Hopefully, when I get them all together and evaluate them with the help of the healthcheck tests results info, I can figure out what my next move is going to be.

Old 06-10-2005, 09:48 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

OraEtLabora HB User

Shellshocked

Here's why you REALLY need to get your own lab/test results:

In May, 2003, I asked for a bone density since osteoporosis runs in my family. I never heard from my doc about the results, so assumed they were normal. A year after the test was done, in May, 2004, I was finally dx (by a different doc) with a thyroid disorder, as well as menopause. I wondered about what else my regular doc had missed, so I requested recent test results, including the bone density. Turned out it was right on the line between osteopenia and osteoporosis (it was -2.33 and osteoporosis is -2.5). I was livid! By this time, I was probably in full-blown osteoporosis, since an entire year had gone by with no treatment for both thyroid and menopause, conditions which are major risk factors for osteoporosis.

I spent the next year working with my Holistic doc to try and reverse the bone loss, using bio-identical progesterone. When I had my new bone density done this past May, it showed significant improvement in all 4 areas measured, with 2 areas being now NORMAL and 2 still in osteopenia, but almost normal. I got a copy of the report.

A few weeks later, my regular docs office called and said "There is some bone loss - you need to increase your Ca intake." That was it. That was their interpretation of my new report! If I hadn't had a copy of the report myself, I would have been really upset, thinking I was losing bone, when if fact, I had gained it, significantly!

The moral is, learn to read your own results. Your health depends on it!

Old 06-10-2005, 10:19 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

shellshocked HB User

Thanks! That just makes me feel more determined to get my labs. I'm glad you caught the problem before it got away from you!

Closed Thread