It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2005, 11:50 AM   #1
(female)

Nodulated HB User
Cancerous Nodule...2nd Surgery scheduled

I'm scheduled for my second surgery this Tuesday to remove the other half of my thyroid (I had the right side and 5.5 cm nodule removed on May 20th that turned out to be papillary and follicular cancer).

It's a total new doctor because the first doctor is not available until the end of July and I'm concerned about scar tissue developing and I also really want it over with.

I'm wondering if I can expect this surgery to be like the last? I understand the surgeon plans on reopening the current incision, perhaps making it a little longer, but they have me scheduled to stay over night this time when I went home the same day for the last one. They also mentioned a drain coming from the incision for this surgery, but I didn't have one the first time. I don't want to seem arguementative with the doctor, but I don't understand why this surgery is different. Can someone enlighten me?

Meanwhile, from what I understand, I also need the RAI treatment in about 6 weeks. Does anyone know approximately how long a person is in isolation and what it's like (any sickness, pain, etc.)?

Thanks in advance!
Elaine

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2005, 12:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Cancerous Nodule...2nd Surgery scheduled

Even though I had just one surgery, my hospital room mate shared my surgeon, and had her second side out (same situation as you).

The surgeon said it was a bit trickier, because there was scar tissue internally ---her other lobe was actually harder to find. But even though the surgery took longer than my total thyroidectomy, she healed the same as me, I saw her the following week at our post op appointments.

In terms of RAI, I started feeling the effects of getting hypo about 3-4 weeks after surgery. The RAI itself gave me a bit of nausea, and a little headache for a day or so. Feeling hypo was worse than the RAI.

I stayed at my parent's house for 3 days mostly inside, and then I went out into the world, but stayed away from my kids for a week. Then I kept my distance from them at home for another week.

I had some problems with taste buds for a couple of weeks. But no long term bad effects. Compared to my poor mom's experience with chemo a few months earlier, this was a piece of cake.

Keep in mind, this will some day be a distant memory, and you will do well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2005, 02:32 PM   #3
(female)

kaatluvr HB User
Re: Cancerous Nodule...2nd Surgery scheduled

Hi Nodulated - I only had one surgery but had the entire thyroid removed. I also had a 5.5 cm nodule and a 2.5 cm nodule on the otherside, therefore they took out the entire thyroid. My roommate in the hospital only had half of hers removed. I stayed 2 nights - due mostly because there is a higher possibility of parathyroid problems i.e. low calcium. Also, I had a drain until I left the hospital - my roommate didn't. It was a plastic "bulb" type thing that had a tube attached that went into my incision. It collected fluid and reduced swelling at the incision site. It didn't hurt while it was in, and just stung a bit for a few minutes when it was removed. I will keep you in prayer next week! I'm sure everything will go well.

Last edited by kaatluvr; 06-10-2005 at 02:33 PM.

Closed Thread