It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2005, 05:24 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

pixiek HB User
Armour trouble already?

Oh, dear...Only day three on Japanese Armour, and two days felt "better" and today, brain fog and DRY eyes. I took my meds one hour later than usual and when I woke up the AM I already felt like in a sleep, jet lagged state. Is it possible I need an increase already? I went from 75 (not feeling too bad) to 60 Armour, but compared to the States my ratio is a little less T3. T4 83 %and T3 16.7%....is this just the awful adjustment period? Pulse 66.... UGH, I can't think!

I give people advice all over the place, but somehow when it is me, all reason out the window....

Last edited by pixiek; 06-10-2005 at 05:51 PM.

Old 06-10-2005, 06:55 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

SarahF HB User
Re: Armour trouble already?

Are you taking it all at one time?
T3 doesn't last as long in the body as T4, so perhaps you may want to split the dose.
I fizzle out in the middle of the afternoon if I dnn't take my Armour.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2005, 07:31 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

pixiek HB User

Yes, I thought about that but I am not fizzling out in the pm. I am fizzling out when I wake up....maybe a dose before bed? Well, when I did a calculation online ..at least that calculator said that 1 grain Armour is less than 75 synthroid...actually 74 if converted...if that is right than I am getting actually less than I got before. But I have seen other calculations that say 1 gram (60mg) is 100 T4...which is right, I wonder?

Old 06-11-2005, 07:03 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

pixiek HB User

Thank you for the advice! I read through some of the past threads and it seems you are right...I will hang! Oh, well only a month or two for a lifetime of better health!

Old 06-11-2005, 10:50 AM   #5
(female)

BethanyF HB User

Hi Pixiek!
I also divide my Armour throughout the day. I take 1 gr. 3x daily and it works much better for me. The only trick for me is avoiding food because I like to snack but I'm getting used to it. I've been on Armour now for almost a month and the first 2 weeks were awful and then BOOM I feel alot better.
Hang in there. Better days are coming!

Old 06-11-2005, 01:04 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sue1234 HB User

Just curious-what do you mean "just awful"? I ask because I can't tolerate any thyroid meds, and am just curious what you went through before you felt better at the two week point.

Karen

Old 06-11-2005, 04:22 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

pixiek HB User

I had "just awful" when I started on synthroid, too (started Armour only four days ago...is better than synthroid experience). With Synthroid, it is possible I had been without thyroid so long that my body reacted so horribly rather than the Synthroid itself. It may have happened on Armour as well had I started with that first. For me "just awful" is an increase of hypo symptoms and even new ones...after that I really understood what it meant to be very hypo! Dizzy, very, very foggy, achy here and there, puffy eyelids, dry eyes, very tired at times and a bunch of other little stuff that came and went. Finally after five weeks, many, many of those symptoms abated and some disappeared. They always say give it four to six weeks, and by golly they are right...but what a bumpy ride..but I think it was worth it for although I am not optimal and now trying Armour (and must adjust here too), I am feeling better than I was..and that is good!

Old 06-11-2005, 05:15 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

sue1234 HB User

That's interesting. I get most of those same symptoms, along with getting a tad hyper feeling(seems like a contradiction!), so it's possible I just need to ride it out for awhile. Did you start at a small dose and work up, or do you think you started at an optimal dose, and just needed the adjustment period? I usually start at a very small dose because I react to any medication very sensitively. Maybe if I started at a higher dose, I'd tolerate it a little better.

Old 06-12-2005, 01:14 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

pixiek HB User

Yes, sometimes I do get some hyper symptoms as well as my body adjusts. They do not last. One time I went to 100 of Synthroid and the hyper symptoms did last (three weeks try and for the last week of that I got "digestive" troubles...once I went back to 75 they stopped and then I switch to Armour, which is where I am now. Yes, you do need to ride it out for a while, but if you are sensitive you may need to take it slower than most people. I started 50, after three weeks 75 (I was a bad patient patient!) and then two weeks the 100. After three weeks on that 100, back to 75 for three...now (as I said) Armour. I am having some adjustments, but it is in no way as bad as my adjustment to Synthroid....although as I said before, even if I had started with Armour first, the shock to my body of this "help" might has reacted in the same way...yes there is a certain amount of a rough ride....if you read through some of the old threads you will read over and over about similar experiences...so you are not alone in that! Now, I have to take my own advice!

Closed Thread