It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2005, 08:39 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User
FT4 going down with tx?

I've been on the same dosage for 4 weeks (synthroid 50mcg) but switched to Armour (30mg) a week ago. I started feeling achy again so had labs done and dosage upped to 45mg of Armour.

I was worried because I took my meds at 6AM and had my blood drawn at 2pm. I was concerned it would affect my test results. I was surprised to see that my FT4 levels had gone down in a month:

A month ago:
FT4- 1.1 (range .8-1.8)
TSH- 1.84

Yesterday:
FT4- .9
TSH- 1.28

Since my blood was drawn AFTER my meds is it possible that my levels are actually lower than what the labs are showing? Also, what could have caused my levels to go down?

I had intended on having him test my FT3 and antibodies this time too but it was a rush thing since I wanted my dosage upped before I left on my family vacation.
Thanks for any help!

Kelly

Old 06-11-2005, 03:38 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

pixiek HB User
Re: FT4 going down with tx?

Well it is not an exact science from Syn to Armour, those are the numbers for conversion, but I think everyone reacts differently. I am not surprised at all to see the FT4 values lower because, remember, there is actually less T4 in the Armour compared to the conversion amount of synthroid. So you are getting less T4 than when you were on synthroid. Armour is 20% T3 and 80% T4 as compared to Synthroid which is 100% T4. You will probably keep needing increases, but going slowly is the best anyway, so they say. Yes, the FT3 value...that is also very useful to know for guiding you to the right dossage...labs and symptoms. Do read the thread about a week ago called "how have you helped your foggy head" and scroll down until you come to a post by KKKkittykat. She has great info there on dosing with Armour. Hope this helps and enjoy your vacation!

Last edited by pixiek; 06-11-2005 at 03:40 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2005, 06:02 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User
Re: FT4 going down with tx?

When my blood was drawn I had only been on Armour for 5 days would it have made that much of a difference?

I did read the post by KKKkittykat. I saved it for a reference

Why would the Armour dose of 30mg be the "equivalent" dose to 50mcg of synthroid but NOT be equivalent. I'm confused !

I understand the functional differences between synthroid and Armour and how the dosing works; it's "educating" my doctor about it and hoping my insurance company will comply that's the difficult part .

I've already noticed a difference in my energy level and mood (feelin' good ) since my dosage was upped but my shoulders are still really achy. If it doesn't ease up in a week I'll ask him to increase it another 15mg (to 60).

Thanks for the reply Pixie!! I so appreciate it! And I DID enjoy my vacation !!

Love and Prayers, Kelly

Closed Thread