It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2005, 11:17 PM   #1
(male)

diddy HB User
Bulging eye, drooping eye -

OK, I had a thyroidectomy 3 weeks ago for Graves Disease. Everything is going alright except my right eye still bulges, and my left eyelid droops. Will this possibly correct itself over time? I also had 2 RAI treatments about 3 years ago, obviously neither worked but I hear that can effect the eyes. I've also heard, with Graves, that even after the gland is removed, that antibodies continue to attack your eyes. I wanted to get the thyroid out and then see what happens with my eyes. I notice no change at all since the surgery, but 3 wks is just 3 wks.

Is there anything, short of eye surgery, that can help with at least the bulging eye? I've heard something about that steroid prednisone.

Has anyone had any experience with this, and what can be done??? I'm going to ask my endo if there's anything I can take when I go in for my first surgery follow-up next week.

Also, I'm on .50 mg synthroid right now, not gaining weight, but I have REALLY cut down my diet since before the surgery, and my weight hasn't moved at all. Normally if I was dieting like this, I would be losing weight, not just holding steady. I imagine he's gonna bump my dose up next week?. What is usually the first adjustment, to .75 mg? If I tell him I'm not gaining weight will he be more likely to only bump up the dose slightly, or just go by the lab numbers?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2005, 11:46 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

pixiek HB User
Re: Bulging eye, drooping eye -

Hi! From Graves to RAI four years ago, now newly under treatment for hypo.

First the eyes: That is hard isn't it! I did have a bit of buldge with Graves, but mostly a lot of sagging eye problem...one eye and that was a hypo symptom! I don't know but I wonder if you no longer have a thyroid to attack if the antibodies don't just decided to pack up and move...let's hope so! For me I have found that the drooping is improving with meds (I am on Armour now) but started with Synthroid. I went from 50 and then to 75....(I still have a thyroid though). I am sure you will need much more without a thyroid. But everyone says to take it slowly as too much really is too much of a shock to the body. Increases every 4 to 6 weeks with labs as on average it take that long for the body to use the med...the amount will register on blood test, however, in about two weeks but for me the adjustment was a bit rough...that is why going slowly is a good idea and also by going slowly you have a better chance of hitting on you optimal dose sooner rather than jumping here and there...you must always wait 4-six weeks inbetween any changes...its a bit hard waiting!

I wouldn't worry about dieting right now. Most importantly is to get your body in better condition. Eat healthy...you had major surgery. Worry about the diet later. In time you may find that once you are regulated other body functions will fall better in to place. Hope this helps and good luck, and yes, it is hard to wait and be patient while adjusting meds!

Last edited by pixiek; 06-10-2005 at 11:48 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2005, 07:07 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

K9Mom HB User

It is true that without a thyroid gland the antibodies can begin to attack other tissues such as our eyes (causing TED) and the skin on our shins (causing pretibial myxedema.)

Having thyroid hormone levels that are normal - specifically the Free T4 and Free T3 levels - seems to calm down some eye symptoms such as edema. It has been my experience that hyper causes the lid retraction and after thyroid levels normalize the lid retraction can normalize too.

From what I have read, most people that use Prednisone do have improvement in their eyes, but most often the symptoms return after the Prednisone is discontinued....and Prednisone has a whole host of NASTY side effects, so you will want to weigh that out carefully before you decide to go that route.

Old 06-11-2005, 01:04 PM   #4
(male)

diddy HB User

If you have a thyroid disorder and you notice any eye changes, I can almost 100% guarantee you it is thyroid-related. Hyperthyroidism and Graves Disease, inparticular, wreak havoc on the eye tisssue. So can RAI. I don't know anything about Hashimoto's, it probably causes the same symptoms. A bulging eye looks bigger than the non-bulging eye (you may see extra white either over or under the eye), the eye also looks like it's staring. Mine isn't TOO bad but some people notice it, and I definitely notice it. It is made more noticeable because the left eyelid droops while the right eye bulges and is open wide. It really sucks, lemme tell ya. I'm going to go through with some kind of treatment for it, if the treatment by steroids has major side effects, then I'll have no chance but to stop them. It's worth a shot.

Old 06-11-2005, 05:30 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

pixiek HB User

I have one droopy eye lid as well...yes for me it is a hypo symptom and the antibodies did make my eyes look a bit big for a while, but treatment helped (for me that was antithyroid meds, RAI for Graves) my eyelid still droops as I struggle now to get the right amount of replacement. Nobody much notices but me...so frustrating I keep saying "SEE< SEE"...well I guess are more critical of ourselves...I bet the meds will help...it all takes time, ugh (right!)

Old 10-19-2005, 10:48 PM   #6
(female)

codymt HB User

I really need some support when it comes to eye problems, it depresses me to see myself in the mirror and have a bulging eye. I have recently found out that my other eye is now going under changes and is slightly changing now. I thought it looked better for a while but now I don't know. I am so tired. I don't know anyone in my area with the same eye problems, would love to though, I'd like to know how they are handling the changes.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:44 AM   #7
(female)

maylee08 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post
If you have a thyroid disorder and you notice any eye changes, I can almost 100% guarantee you it is thyroid-related. Hyperthyroidism and Graves Disease, inparticular, wreak havoc on the eye tisssue. So can RAI. I don't know anything about Hashimoto's, it probably causes the same symptoms. A bulging eye looks bigger than the non-bulging eye (you may see extra white either over or under the eye), the eye also looks like it's staring. Mine isn't TOO bad but some people notice it, and I definitely notice it. It is made more noticeable because the left eyelid droops while the right eye bulges and is open wide. It really sucks, lemme tell ya. I'm going to go through with some kind of treatment for it, if the treatment by steroids has major side effects, then I'll have no chance but to stop them. It's worth a shot.
This is the FIRST time I have heard of anyone having this same thing happen. I have been going to numerous doctors for 4 years with no diagnosis. My right eye appears to be bulging while my left eye droops. However, it doesn't stay this way. It is intermittent. It could happen once during a day or 50 times during the day and then it will be gone for months and then suddenly start happening again. The last episode happened over 5 days. I have been tested for thyroidism but it came back normal. Do you know if it could be something else? Thank you.

Closed Thread