It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2005, 06:12 PM   #1

mander HB User
Low Iodine Diet

I had a tt on May 6 and the results came back as follicular carcinoma. I have to start a low iodine diet on June 19 and I have the radioactive iodine treatments and scans on the June 27 and 30. The diet is very restrictive. Anyone else have to do this? What kind of food did you eat? I don't know how I am going to go two weeks with no chocolate!!

Also, how did you feel after taking the iodine? Anything that I should know...especially being around other people. I was told I have to sleep in a different bed and not to be around babies or pregnant women. Didn't say that I couldn't go to work though. Thanks for the info.

Old 06-11-2005, 08:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
Re: Low Iodine Diet

I had to do this when I had the scan. It was pretty miserable, especially since it was during my friend's wedding and I was traveling! But it's do-able. Since I was just having the scan and not actual treatment, I was a little lenient. I had a few small bites of dessert items at the rehearsal dinner and a bite of wedding cake. Here are some things that I ate:

-plain instant oatmeal with honey or jam
-matzoh crackers (in the kosher foods section) with natural peanut butter (unsalted) and jam... the garlic and onion flavored matzoh was pretty good, too
-kix (I had read that some servings of cereals were okay, but check with your doctor if you aren't sure)
-grapes and baby carrots for nibbling
-salads with a homemade dressing (balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and italian seasoning)

I know that you can also eat some meats, but I'm a vegetarian so it didn't help much. I had bloodwork done right after that week, and it actually showed that I was malnourished because I hadn't had enough protein because tofu isn't allowed. There are some recipes on the internet...

Also, if you are craving some sugar, you can look into certain candies (avoid that one red dye- just one specific number of red dye has iodine...). I think the gummy lifesavers were okay, but gummy bears weren't. So you have to read all of the packaging.

That's all I can remember. It was almost a year ago. Just remember that it's a LOW iodine diet, not an absence of all iodine. So if you break and have one small bite of chocolate in that week, it's not going to ruin everything, just try to stick to it as best as you can because the better you do on the diet, the more iodine will be picked up by the thyroid, and the more effect it will have. And it's not forever, just a few days.

Try getting out of the house and doing things, because then you won't be focused on what you can't eat. Oh, and the good news is that you can have all the alcohol you want! :-) (Which I find kind of ironic, that you can drink, but you can't eat anything...)

Anyway, good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread