It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2005, 01:24 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

pixiek HB User
Calling all new to Armour

I noticed that a lot of posters have just started on Armour likeI have and I thought I might be great to list our "adjustment symptoms" for us to compare and for future newbies.

1. Started on 60mgs
2. First day I got a buzz...like coffee but not bad!
3. Second day, itchy all over and thought I might be allergic, foggy head is gone!
4. Third day, to my relief, no itching and feeling "high" in a very good way! No foggy head!
5. Fourth day: Minior crash which makes me feel sad. Foggy head, dry eyes, funny sore spot on my right arm and under my arm (like lymph nodes are swollen or sore muscles...), sagging eyelid. Funny numb knee...tingles at times. So I am very impatient and up to 1 1/2 pills in the AM. Feel better towards the afternoon
7. Fifth day: Sore swollen parts are less sore, feeling better, not so fuzzy, but now I have fatigue. Plan to hold at 1 1/2 pills for a while.
8. Day eight. Woke up in jet-lag. Foggy head. The Armour kicks in a bit...still have quite foggy head, but mood is good...can you feel "good" about feeling "bad"?

Anyone else?

Last edited by pixiek; 06-12-2005 at 04:09 PM.

Old 06-12-2005, 08:13 AM   #2
(male)

THX 1138 HB User
Re: Calling all new to Armour

I'm on Armour 90.
1.) First day I had that uncomfortable buzz.
2.) Second day I split the pill in half and took it sublingually at different times of the day....less symptoms although it bothered my stomach slightly. Haven't noticed any improvements as of yet.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2005, 03:45 PM   #3

munchiedog HB User

I am taking Armour 90 mg.
1.) First week... sense of well-being and less depression.
2.) 6 weeks later... Dr. would not increase dosage b/c I had bronchitis.
3.) 6 months later Dr. did add .50 Levoxyl, but refuses to increase Armour. Even though I am still low thyroid I want to stick with Armour b/c of the noticeable improvement in mental clarity. Looking for Dr. who will prescribe according to symptoms.

Old 06-12-2005, 04:10 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

pixiek HB User

I will keep adding to my original post. Hope others will, too! BTW, for any of you who have not seen it yet, check out the thread "How have you helped your foggy head" as KKKittykat has a great post on Armour dosing "mistakes".

Last edited by pixiek; 06-12-2005 at 04:15 PM.

Old 06-12-2005, 07:35 PM   #5
(female)

Jo-chan HB User

My adjustment symptoms with Armour have been very slow in coming because I started out with a very low dosage (1/4 grain) and increased very slowly to 1 1/2 grains, which is where I am now.

1) After being on 1/4 grain for a couple weeks, I noticed nothing. No effects, good or bad.
2) After increasing to 1/2 grain I noticed more energy, feeling warmer and was no longer constipated!
3) After 2 weeks at 1/2 grain I suddenly got very fatigued again, even more than before I started Armour. Was told by folks here that I needed to up my dosage, so I began taking 1/2 in the morning, 1/4 before lunch and 1/4 before dinner. Fatigue dissapated then, but constipation returned.
4) Began feeling fatigued again, especially after meals, so I upped dosage to 1/2 grain 3 times a day. Fatigue dissapated.
5) For the past week I've been extremely bloated and gassy and the fatigue after meals is starting again, so...I'll probably increase my dosage soon. I really hope the bloating goes away soon.

I've now been on Armour about 6 weeks. Haven't experienced any weight loss & am still constipated, but I'm not freezing all the time like I used to be.

Old 06-12-2005, 08:09 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User

Hello! Tomorrow will be my 11th dose of Armour. I started at 30mg (1/2 grain I believe) and felt nothing different for several days. But on day 6 I started feeling tired, moody, achy and cold (but only slightly). I had my dosage upped on day 8 (to 45mg) and noticed a dry mouth after the first day (is there a reason this happens; is it common?). I'm now on day 10: moodiness is gone and I have wonderful energy . Although I'm still achy and cold.

If the cold and achiness do not go away in a week I'm going to ask my doctor to up my dosage another 15 (to 60mg).

Oh, and I have a lot of hairloss which seems to worsen for a couple of days after my dosage is upped. It stops within a week.

Having said that, I want to add that after what my life has been like in the last three years with untreated hypoT these minor ups and downs are a piece of cake!!

Kelly

Old 06-12-2005, 08:16 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

pixiek HB User

These posts are great and so helpful. I am hoping when it is "all over?!!!) that I can put together a list of common adjustment symptoms. When we are not feeling well, and haven't been for a long time and now are taking meds to feel better but we don't right away, (phew that was long) it helps to know others are experiencing the same thing, that it is "normal" and ok and that we need to stay on our meds, that we may need to up our meds, that we may need to be patient, and that all those little aches, and even those that get worse, are just par for the course. Let's keep posting when we can!

Old 06-13-2005, 06:20 AM   #8
(female)

BethanyF HB User

Hi All!
I started on 2 gr. of Armour (doctor started me so high because I'm also on HRT) and the first week, I felt worse. Pounding heart, nervous, aching throat, etc. Then, I read here how some are splitting their dose. I tried it and it worked. I lost the nervous feeling. My doc has added 1 gr. in the evening and he just added .50 of Synthroid. I am feeling much better.

Old 06-13-2005, 06:28 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

pixiek HB User

Wow BethanyF! That is great! Keep us posted!

Old 06-13-2005, 07:06 AM   #10
(male)

THX 1138 HB User

For those of you taking it sublingually...I'm having problems doing this. Maybe I'm doing it incorrectly under my tongue. Do you place the pill under your tongue against the gums of your bottom teeth or do you put the pill near the back of the tongue. I put it in the back of the tongue and it doesn't dissolve well at all.

Old 06-13-2005, 08:17 AM   #11
(female)

Jo-chan HB User

THX 1138 -

I just pop the pill under my tongue and let it settle wherever it wants to. Sometimes it wants to move over to the side and stick to my teeth, so I have to push it back under my tongue, and I usually do this several times before it dissolves.

If you're keeping the pill perfectly still under your tongue, try moving it around a bit so your saliva can get around it and help it dissolve.

Old 06-13-2005, 09:28 AM   #12
(male)

THX 1138 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo-chan
THX 1138 -

I just pop the pill under my tongue and let it settle wherever it wants to. Sometimes it wants to move over to the side and stick to my teeth, so I have to push it back under my tongue, and I usually do this several times before it dissolves.

If you're keeping the pill perfectly still under your tongue, try moving it around a bit so your saliva can get around it and help it dissolve.
Does it completely dissolve for you or is there something left over? I can't swallow any part of it because for some odd reason thyroid medicines upset my stomach badly. I wonder if there's another way to take armour maybe as a supository?

Old 06-13-2005, 10:03 AM   #13
(female)

Jo-chan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138
Does it completely dissolve for you or is there something left over?
The only part that doesn't dissolve is the thin coating on the outside of the pill, which I just swallow, but I'm sure you could spit it out if you wanted. I don't know about the suppository thing...maybe someone else can answer that. I know that some folks put their Armour between their cheek and gum, and I don't know if that would work any better for you, but it might be worth a try.

Old 06-13-2005, 01:18 PM   #14
(male)

THX 1138 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo-chan
The only part that doesn't dissolve is the thin coating on the outside of the pill, which I just swallow, but I'm sure you could spit it out if you wanted. I don't know about the suppository thing...maybe someone else can answer that. I know that some folks put their Armour between their cheek and gum, and I don't know if that would work any better for you, but it might be worth a try.
I called a compound pharamacist and talked to my GP. The pharamcist can make Armour 90 into a suppository and the GP thinks it's a good idea if it's upsetting my stomach like the levoxyl and synthyroid did. Now all I have to do is convince the endo to go along with it...which will be VERY difficult.

Old 06-14-2005, 11:28 AM   #15
(female)

Kaylasly HB User

Hi everyone,
I was on Synthroid at .75mcg and had horrible hot flashes, bloating and high blood pressure. The doc changed me to Armour 60mg and the hot flashes and bloating went away, blood pressure is still a little high. After 4 weeks of taking Armour, the hot flashes came back. My father in law is a doc and says it is not caused by thyroid pills. I am always hot, has anyone else experienced this?

Closed Thread