It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2005, 11:22 AM   #1

mimiblue HB User
How can I shrink my goiter? My doctor won't prescribe meds.....

Hi everyone....me again. I feel like such a complainer....and before thyroid disease entered into my life that so was not me. I was active, energetic, bubbly, fun, and positive. This whole experience has gotten me pretty down. I'm trying to stay positive, but in the meantime my goiter is really swollen and my energy is 0. I've got the choking lumpy feeling in my throat all the time, but it's much worse now. Since my doctor is not willing to treat me and I have to wait quite a long time to see an endo...does anyone have any safe tried tested and true methods that work? I would appreciate your help.

Mimi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2005, 11:40 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

merrillin HB User
Re: How can I shrink my goiter? My doctor won't prescribe meds.....

mimi,
Hey friend, try taking selenium. If you have high antibodies in your system sometimes the goiter increases due to that. I definitley noticed a difference in mine when I started on the selenium. The supplement naturally lowers the antibodies in your blood.

Let me tell you a word of caution. Sometimes taking thyroid meds just to shrink a goiter can make it grow or actually make your nodules grow if that is the problem. Do you have hashi's? I am sorry I know we talk frequently and I have forgotten that. ( another thyroid problem!)

With hashi's your thyroid will swell and shrink on it's own, at least mine does. There is a thread that kathy and I have going on this issue. Read it and see what we are going through with this same problem.

Karen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2005, 12:23 PM   #3

mimiblue HB User

Hi Karen...

Thanks for responding. I have no idea whether I have hashi's......I am assuming I do based on my symptoms. As I have said before, I am waiting for an endo appointment (2 months away). I know my tsh is all over the place (but within range, of course), I have a goiter with two nodules, and I go from feeling normal to crap in a matter of a day. My doctor just keeps telling me it's normal to have a goiter and many women live with them all their lives. I'm not happy with mine because not only is it physically unattractive (thick neck), but more noteworthy is that it's very uncomfortable. I guess I will have to wait until I see the endo to decide what to do. I haven't even had my nodules biopsied. I just bought selenium the other day. How much do you take??

Thanks Karen.

Mimi

ps: which thread is it?

Old 06-12-2005, 01:19 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

Just search for "natural thyroid". I have had to order my own so I could stay alive.

Old 06-12-2005, 07:34 PM   #5
(male)

diddy HB User

Selenium?

Is this OK to take with synthroid? If it lowers the antibodies in your blood does that mean it can also help the eye bulging associated with Graves' antibodies?

Old 06-12-2005, 09:22 PM   #6
(female)

skewch HB User

Hi Mimi,

I too had multinodular goiter for 7 years before this finally became a huge problem in my life. I was put on meds to try to shrink my goiter but my thyroid started to hurt so I went off of it. This was during a time when my dr. decided to take off to another province and leave my family hanging. I was never tested for antibodies and I wish I would have been long before this past xmas. It is so very frustrating to see that in hindsight, I may not have had to get my thyroid removed. When I started seeing my current dr., she told me that shrinking goiters with meds doesn't really work, I wasn't given an explanation but my thyroid levels were always "normal" so nothing was ever done except yearly ultrasounds to measure the nodules. I was also told the same as you..that many women live with them all their lives with no problems....well, they can become problematic.

I would ensure that your endo sends you for antibody tests if you haven't been tested for them as of yet.

While I am not 100% sure that knowing I had hashi's before my surgery would have changed things much, but it would have been nice to know a long time ago that they could have done RAI and that would have killed my thyroid off instead of yanking it and now I have hypoparathyroidism...my parathyroids are all damaged from the surgery....could very well have done without this that's for sure.

Just keep pushing for the answers...don't stop till you are satisfied.

Old 06-12-2005, 09:49 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

merrillin HB User

skewch,
I just wanted to add that I too was told that meds will be more apt to cause the nodules to grow or multiply. I think where dr;s get confused is this..............thyroid meds can help a goiter to shrink but a goiter is not the same as having nodules. I think they give out the meds thinking they will cause the nodules to shrink and most of the time they cause them to grow or multiply since you are just adding fuel to the fire. The plain goiter can shrink with help from meds if it is enlarged because it is overworked. Anyway, I think that is where the dr's get confused.

I know you feel like you would have made a different decision but ya know what........I have been suffering with hashi';s for so long that I envy you for having yours out already. It is so hard to know what to do with this disease isn't it?

Karen

Old 07-20-2005, 02:24 AM   #8
(female)

gbb HB User

I was interested in kant's post, but I don't see a way to PM/email her personally. I, too, seem to have an enlarging goiter. I was diagnosed hyperthyroid when I was 13 and was on tapazole, then a couple years ago synthroid was added (by a pediatric endo). i guess this is called block and replace therapy? i always had a goiter, but while on these meds it seemed in check.

i am now 19 and saw two adult endos recently. one took me off synthroid altogether, and the newest one reduced my methimazole. the past few days i can feel the goiter as a lump in my throat (its 3x normal size), yet my thyroid is in normal range. antibodies are sky high. of course dr suggests RAI. i dread this immensely and do not want to have it removed. i'm concerned that being taken off synthroid prompted this growth, and am wondering if i return to using it if it will shrink (even tho i was told meds will not likely shrink it at this point).i am open to trying selenium also.

thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 07-20-2005, 10:27 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

merrillin HB User

gbb,

First of all do you have the tpo antibodies? Those are the only ones that are known to be affected by the selenium.

I read that you were interested in my post so feel free to ask me anything you need too.

I have been sick for so long I don't really have any dread on this other than not wanting to face recovery of course. I also have such a large nodule and I know that it is making me so sick that it has to come out.

Can you give me a little more info? What are your labs? I mean they must suspect a boost is needed to put you on synthroid?

Karen

Old 07-20-2005, 12:08 PM   #10
(female)

jrzgirl1 HB User

I am starting PTU and a beta blocker, I have a goiter and I am being treated for hyper thyroid but he told me not to eat fish of any kind because of the iodine, also iodized salt, that increases the problem and will not let the goiter shrink, I also have to go for blood work at the end of Aug. for antibodie test, no one has ever ordered this test for me, my left eye is larger than my right so he is also trying to rule out Graves, my thyroid is sub-sternal, growing inward into my chest, so if the meds don't work, then RAI is next unless it really grows alot then I will need surgery. I was scheduled to have a TT on July 7th but my pcp consulted with another endo I went to , they saisd to cancel the surgery and go this route. good luck

Old 07-20-2005, 12:41 PM   #11
(female)

gbb HB User

TSH: 0.47
T3 uptake: 30
T3 total: 150
T4 total: 9.1
Free T4: 2.7
TSI: 180
Thyroglobulin antibodies: >3000
Thyroid peroxidase antibodies: >1000

Old 07-20-2005, 08:46 PM   #12
(female)

gbb HB User

kant? does it look like i'd benefit from selenium?

Old 07-20-2005, 10:43 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

merrillin HB User

One thing than we can start.......you need to post the ranges that went with the lab numbers otherwise there is no way for me to see where you fall into that range, ya know? It should be on the sheet if you have a copy.

Actually, if your tsh range is the same as the U.S. than you are very low. hmmmm
Karen

Old 07-20-2005, 11:14 PM   #14
(female)

gbb HB User

TSH: 0.47 normal: 0.70 - 6.40
T3 uptake: 30 normal: 22-35%
T3 total: 150 normal: 60 - 181
T4 total: 9.1 normal: 4.5 - 12.5
Free T4: 2.7 normal: 1.4 - 3.8
TSI: 180
Thyroglobulin antibodies: >3000 reference range: <20
Thyroid peroxidase antibodies: >1000 ref range: <35

as you can see, antibodies are through the roof probably causing this big goiter

Old 07-21-2005, 02:32 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

merrillin HB User

gbb, are you hyperthyroid? Your antibodies are positive all the way around and I think at this point selenium might "help" lower those tpo's but really you need meds. What is your diagnosis and how are you being treated?

Karen

Closed Thread