It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2005, 11:09 AM   #1
(female)

ballina HB User
These are my symptoms

Hi i would like to know if these symptoms are related to under active thyroid. (1) Constantly tired (2) Sleep disturbance) wake numerous times in the night (3) Im over weight find it hard to loose extra llbs (4) have 2 other auto immune diseases?(maybe not related) (5) suffer from depression from time to time . (6) choke when im eating certain foods (7) always feel like there is something stuck at the bottom of my throat.(8) i cant bear the cold.
Im going to see a lady doc this time and hopefully she will listen to me .
Icant take the tiredness anymore my own doctor doesnt appear to be intrested and gave me a prescription for anti depressants? I didnt take them .
What was ironic that the side effects cause tiredness lack of Libido etc yet these are some of my symptoms Please could someone advise me what to do. I live in the UK and havent got private medical care.
Does having a high chlosteral have an effect on you if you have hypothyroidism ?

Old 06-13-2005, 11:19 AM   #2

Eeyore22 HB User
Re: These are my symptoms

Yes, Ballina - all of they symptoms you've mentioned can be related to hypothyroidism and it has been found that people suffering from hypothyroidism also tend to have higher cholesterol levels. There are certain blood tests that should be done to diagnose and treat you - the minimum would be Free T3 and Free T4 and TSH. I'm sure others with more experience will add to that list. Maybe someone that lives in the UK can give you more specific advice as to how to proceed - I'm not sure how things work there.

Keep us posted - when you get test results, post them and you'll get some feedback. The key is, don't give up. Don't let them tell you that you're tired because you work too hard or have too much going on in your life.

Good luck!
Carol

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2005, 12:26 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

pixiek HB User

Yes, those tests and do a test for the antibodies for Hashimotos and Graves disease. Then once you have your labs, you can post them here with your lab ranges and others can try to help out. But looks like you might benefit from some thyroid hormone replacement....keep us posted.

Old 06-14-2005, 03:19 AM   #4
(female)

ballina HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore22
Yes, Ballina - all of they symptoms you've mentioned can be related to hypothyroidism and it has been found that people suffering from hypothyroidism also tend to have higher cholesterol levels. There are certain blood tests that should be done to diagnose and treat you - the minimum would be Free T3 and Free T4 and TSH. I'm sure others with more experience will add to that list. Maybe someone that lives in the UK can give you more specific advice as to how to proceed - I'm not sure how things work there.

Keep us posted - when you get test results, post them and you'll get some feedback. The key is, don't give up. Don't let them tell you that you're tired because you work too hard or have too much going on in your life.

Good luck!
Carol
Thankyou so much Carol for your reply it really does help.
I ve been to see the doc she is sending me for a few test maybe you might understand what they are a full blood count a ESR? CRP GGT. A.I.P. AND TF3
she said they automatically test for TF4 .Hopefully something will come out of this I will try and get the test done today tues14th June 05. I will keep you posted . Am i allowed to get a copy of my test results? I will need them to tell you how I done . Bye for now Geraldine

Old 06-14-2005, 03:26 AM   #5
(female)

ballina HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiek
Yes, those tests and do a test for the antibodies for Hashimotos and Graves disease. Then once you have your labs, you can post them here with your lab ranges and others can try to help out. But looks like you might benefit from some thyroid hormone replacement....keep us posted.
Hi Pixie thankyou for your post I have been to the docs today I think she actually listened to me. She is sending me for all sorts of blood tests. I know this sounds bizzare but i want the test to come back positive. Only so i can get to the bottom of this and start any treatment as soom as i can I know its a slow process but ive put up with it for long enough now Many Thanks for your reply it really does help I will keep you all posted
Bye for now Geraldine.

Old 06-14-2005, 04:53 AM   #6

Eeyore22 HB User

Hi Ballina,

Best I can tell: ESR = erythrocyte sedimentation rate - checks for infection and inflammation. CRP = C-reactive protein - checks for inflammation, GGT - looks at liver function - AIP - don't know that one - and the TF3 and TF4 are the thyroid hormone tests. Like Pixie said, see about the antibody tests for Hashi's and Graves. My doctor never did an antibody test but told me I have Hashi's because that is the most common cause of hypothyroidism - not good enough for me so I'm looking for a new doc.

Good luck and post your results. The key is to do as much research on your own as you can so that you can be very active in your care. This board is a great place to ask questions, get support, vent and bounce ideas around.

Have a great day!
Carol

Old 06-16-2005, 02:49 AM   #7
(female)

ballina HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore22
Hi Ballina,

Best I can tell: ESR = erythrocyte sedimentation rate - checks for infection and inflammation. CRP = C-reactive protein - checks for inflammation, GGT - looks at liver function - AIP - don't know that one - and the TF3 and TF4 are the thyroid hormone tests. Like Pixie said, see about the antibody tests for Hashi's and Graves. My doctor never did an antibody test but told me I have Hashi's because that is the most common cause of hypothyroidism - not good enough for me so I'm looking for a new doc.

Good luck and post your results. The key is to do as much research on your own as you can so that you can be very active in your care. This board is a great place to ask questions, get support, vent and bounce ideas around.

Have a great day!
Carol
Hi Carol thanks for your reply i wil keep you posted bye for now Geraldine

Closed Thread