It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2005, 12:24 PM   #1
(female)

jrzgirl1 HB User
Question what to expect after T. thyroid removal

undefined
just want to know what to expect after surgery. pain, pain management, weight problems, restrictions, how do you feel right after the surgery and anestesia wears off, add any thing I may have forgotten.

Last edited by jrzgirl1; 06-13-2005 at 12:25 PM.

Old 06-13-2005, 12:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User
Re: what to expect after T. thyroid removal

pain- minimal. especially if there are no complications. Sore throat biggest pain I had. I honestly did not need any pain meds.
pain management- didn't need it. Couldn't sleep on my side or my stomach since I couldn't turn my neck for a bit. Before a week was up I slept on my stomach- head turned to the side.
weight problems- I have not gained any weight so far. (5 months post surgery)
restrictions- no heavy lifting. No driving for about a week. Start activites when you feel comfortable. I played volleyball less than a month post surgery.
how do you feel right after the surgery and anestesia wears off- sleepy. Not too bad. Again, sore throat. I didn't feel like eating much. I just had some juice and italian ice. You can eat as much as you feel comfortable swallowing. You will have some tugging at incision when you swallow, which is a strange feeling.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2005, 01:15 PM   #3
(female)

parriaga HB User

I just had this done on the 9th. Doing good actually. As soon as I got into recovery I was eating crushed ice. For me it wasn't like a normal sore throat it was more the muscles moving when I swallowed or talked. Eating is what you can swallow pretty much. For me the cold stuff felt really good going down. I was sleeping on my side the night of surgery just had to prop my head good. I was tired of laying on my back and had to figure something out I am now 4 days post op and hardly have any pain not even in my throat. Just like April said alot of pulling and tugging right now. The synthroid makes me feel like I took some speed but I figure it'll be fine when I get regulated. If you have anything else I can help you with just let me know. It's not as bad as we think it to be, I was scared to death too. You will be just fine.

Old 06-13-2005, 02:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User

I wanted to add the anethesia made me feel very sick to my stomach right after surgery, in which they promptly gave me meds in my IV and I was ok and back to sleep.

Old 06-13-2005, 03:35 PM   #5
(female)

jrzgirl1 HB User

synthroid why does it make you feel like you are on speed. don't know what that feels like......... how long were you in the hospital?
thank you.my surgery is on July 7th

Old 06-13-2005, 03:41 PM   #6
(female)

kaatluvr HB User

Pain management - not too bad. Pain shot in the hospital, then just tylenol etc. Went home after 2 days and didn't use my pain pills they sent home. Restrictions: no heavy lifting, no driving until I felt like it and wasn't taking pain pills. Weight gain - a little. Hoping it comes off as my meds become adjusted. Desipite the lack of very serious pain, I didn't feel healthy and strong for 2 weeks. Hope this helps!
Scarlett

Old 06-13-2005, 04:49 PM   #7
(female)

parriaga HB User

One of the side effects are tremors..its a weird feeling. I was told that once I am regulated everything will be fine. I went to having to much hormone to nothing. I had the surgery on june 9th and came home the next morning, my calcium level was fine right out of surgery guess I was lucky on that part.

Old 06-14-2005, 05:35 AM   #8
(female)

jrzgirl1 HB User
Question Re: what to expect after T. thyroid removal

tremors? how do they make you feel and does it cause breathing problems , like your throat is closing up, I have so many medicine allergies, I can not take any antihistmines, pain meds. only darvocet and Floxin as a antibiotic,everything else makes my tongue swell up or my throat close. antihistimines cause me to stop breathing, now I am really scared and thinking twice

Last edited by jrzgirl1; 06-14-2005 at 05:37 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 06-14-2005, 09:12 AM   #9
(female)

parriaga HB User

Went back to the ENDO today and ask about the feeling I am having. He said that when you have surgery and the thyroid is being pulled and tugged it releases more hormones and with the synthroid I probably have to much hormone in my system. He took blood and said I might have to stop taking for awhile until my level has dropped. Thought that was intersting

Old 06-14-2005, 10:00 AM   #10
(female)

cassiehenderson HB User

Hello, I'm very new to all this. What would be the reason to have the thyroid removed?

Old 06-14-2005, 03:38 PM   #11
(female)

parriaga HB User

Dont think twice its not that bad. Actually I drove myself to the dr today. The tremors arent what you think...I feel like my body is moving but it really isnt and its not all the time. I was scared like you but now thats its over I don't regret it at all. I do feel better. It takes time to get regulated. I know there are better things to come. Just be patient and you will be fine.

Old 06-17-2005, 11:14 AM   #12
(male)

van7771 HB User

I feel like l am on speed when l take synthroid, dont know why. Any ideas, if l take it for more than 3 days l feel like l will go crazy.

Old 06-17-2005, 12:09 PM   #13
(female)

marissamm HB User

good luck with your surgery. i had a tt on dec 04, like i said before make sure the surgeon is experienced mine wasnt and he damaged my vocal cords for 2 months i could not talk, cough,swallow liquids,and it was hard to breath and always felt like someone was squeezing my neck. now 6 months later all is well i lost 20 lbs without trying, i gained a lot of weight in the last 8 years do to my thyroid problems. i am not fatigued my levels are normal and my scar is fading it is 8 inches he put in 15 staples. when i had my surgery the pain wasn't that bad i took tylenol and no pain pills i also slept on my back or side using a squishy neck roll pillow.

Old 06-17-2005, 01:53 PM   #14
(female)

jrzgirl1 HB User

why is your scar so long and why the staples? my surgeon said the scar I will have will be about 1- 1/2 long and the stitches will be inside, he is also a plastic surgeon for patients that need reconstructive not cosmetic, he is an ENT. hope you are feeling better

Last edited by jrzgirl1; 06-17-2005 at 02:04 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 06-17-2005, 02:27 PM   #15
(female)

marissamm HB User

jrzgirl because i didnt have an ent doin my surgery, i had a hick in the woods do it it seems that way anyway lol, i had a lot of nodules that were real big but y ai am feeling good now thyroid wise.at least you r going to an experianced surgeon that is so important in all aspects of thyroid surgery, i obviously didn't do my homework like you all did. you will do fine and won't have any problems it is usually a simple surgery good luck

Closed Thread