It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2005, 01:57 PM   #1
(female)

MikeysWifey0316 HB User
Dr. Appointment this Week!

I have other postings on here, but just to update everyone… I left a message for my doctor’s nurse last week stating that I want more thorough testing done to make sure my thyroid is functioning properly (last time he only did TSH). She just called me back. She asked what type of test would I like to have done. I told her every one they can do… like T3, T4, and all of the others. She said the doctor wouldn’t just make an appointment to draw labs without first talking to me, and that he did want to see to me. So, my appointment is on Wednesday 06/15/05 at 10:30 am. I need help! What do I go in there and tell him? I really think it might be a thyroid problem… but I’m not sure. Now I’m scared that I’m wrong and that he will belittle me while I’m there… Surely he won’t do that. He never has before… Besides that, I’m not the doctor. I’m just a poor little patient who is tired of feeling so tired and crappy so I’ve done some research. I guess I’m just nervous. I'm afraid he is going to tell me its all in my head and that I need to take more antidepressants... etc., etc., etc.... Any ideas for helpful "ammo"???

Oh, and by the way, his specialty is Internal Medicine... just in case that is important. I love this site. Everyone on here is so helpful and reassuring.

Last edited by moderator2; 06-14-2005 at 06:22 AM.

Old 06-14-2005, 12:31 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

SadFreek HB User
Re: Dr. Appointment this Week!

I have 37 of those symptoms! I didn't even count the "sometimes" or "maybes"!

gosh I hope this doc tommorow is smart...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2005, 06:11 AM   #3
(female)

MikeysWifey0316 HB User

Anyone know what "wasting of tongue" is???

Old 06-15-2005, 09:49 AM   #4
(female)

MikeysWifey0316 HB User

Well, I just got back from the doctor. He pretty much said there was no way it is a thyroid problem because my TSH levels were within the normal range, and the TSH is the most sensitive test for the thyroid. He said, ďthe reason you are having all of these health issues is because of the PCOS. Itís not your thyroidĒ. I said, ďif itís the PCOS, then why isnít the medicine you gave me doing anything? Nothing has changed, Iím not betterĒ he then proceeded to tell me that I need to lose at least 10% of my weight (25lbs). But, he said he would order the blood work to test my thyroid if that would ďease my mindĒ. He ordered Unbound T-4, T3 (total) and TSH again. He said ďthe TSH will be the same, but weíll go ahead and check it if it will ease your worriesĒ He said that a lot. Iím pretty upset. Iím not sure why though. This is the 2nd time this year that I have come back from a visit at his office crying and canít stop. I wonder if that is a bad sign? Iíve always thought he was a nice doctor, but if thatís true why do I keep crying? I just feel so helpless. I donít know any medical history because Iím adoptedÖ so its like Iím shooting in the dark. And he seems pretty sure of his diagnosis. So itís like I have to figure this out on my own because what he has done so far isnít helping. Maybe I should try and meet my biological mother. Maybe she has had the same problems... or, maybe it is just my faultÖ

Old 06-17-2005, 10:00 AM   #5
(female)

MikeysWifey0316 HB User

Just got the test results. I guess he was right. They are all within normal range. So, maybe it is just in my head and I'm being lazy and that is why I can't lose weight... etc. etc. etc. But, here are the results in case anyone is curious. Don't know if anyone is watching or reading. Seems like threads die after I post a message on them. ? Thanks for all of your help.

T3 Total Only 177 ng/dL (70-170)
TSH 1.55 uIU/mL (0.30-5.00)
T4 Free 1.05 ng/dL (07.0-1.90)

Closed Thread