It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2005, 07:32 AM   #1
Veteran

mintchocolate HB User
Personality change when taking meds

Has anyone noticed a personality change after being on meds? I feel great, I have been on armour for two years now. After getting used to the meds I have a lot of energy and feel pretty good (most hypo symptoms are gone).

One thing that I have noticed is that now I get extremely angry very quickly. I go from zero anger to infinity when something upsetting happens. I am trying to control that since I have never been that way and I don't like being that way.

I also tell people that I don't like something quickly if something bothers me, I did not used to be that way. I used to internalize all those feelings and be upset that I did nothing. This part I like. The other day I told my neighbor that he had not paid my kid for mowing the lawn and he quickly realized that he had'nt and pulled the money out of his wallet. Before, I would have not said a word and be upset about it.

Anyone has notice anything similar? I was just wondering since I went through an emotional roller coaster when I started meds if the meds have anything to do with this. Seems interesting that thyroid imbalance can be tied to personality issues.

Mintchocolate

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2005, 07:48 AM   #2
(female)

BethanyF HB User
Re: Personality change when taking meds

That's very interesting. I have a similar reaction. When I am off the meds, I am very quiet, cry alot and kinda lose myself. While I am on meds, I'm more talkative, much more upbeat and possitive.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2005, 11:01 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

shellshocked HB User

Being on the right meds might be helping your other glands produce the estrogen, progesterone and testerone your body needs to function correctly.
I had a hysterectomy and had HRT. A couple of times the doctor gave me a little too much testosterone in my mix, and then I was a totally different person. I didn't get angry---I just didn't put up with crap from anyone. I didn't get emotional about it---I just got the job done, whether anyone helped me or not.

For the last year I have been way off the right dose for me----and I'm an emotional basket case. There are days when I just want to cry all day---it's especially bad when I go to the doctor and he thinks I'm a crybaby. And I'm begging all the time. I feel so powerless---both physcically and emotionally. And of course then they tell you that your problem is that your're depressed. That's when I get angry.

Old 06-14-2005, 01:06 PM   #4

diatron HB User

I get the same way--really upset when something isn't quite right. I go and hide until the urge to throttle someone passes. I think it has to do with a little too much Thyroid meds for me. I reduce my dose by .0125 (half a 25 mg pill) for one or two days and I am much less emotional.

Old 06-14-2005, 06:32 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

shellshocked HB User

I just talked to a friend who's husband has been having thyroid problems. She says her husband would have distinct personality changes and mood swings---and she never knew when they would happen. Happy to report that after two years the doctor seems to have him stabilized and he's back to being his regular self.

Old 06-15-2005, 12:59 AM   #6
(male)

abigchocoholic HB User

Ain't no doubt. Thyroid affects the emotions. First thing is to make sure it's your thyroid so you're not messing with something that's not broke.

But once you realize it is thyroid, being out of balance can absolutely, definitely, no doubt cause that over the top emotional anger reaction.

Personally, I think it's usually from being low t4 or high t3 compared to t4. I've been both and experienced what you are talking about. When I get that way, I go for more t4. I can easily take 175-200mcgs of t4 a day. I used to take up to 27mcg of t3 but it caused problems. Now I only take between 5-9mcgs.

Old 06-15-2005, 09:05 AM   #7
Veteran

mintchocolate HB User

Thank you for your answers, it makes me feel that I am not the only one.

It is amazing, I lived with hypo symtoms for so long..... So many changes have taken place since I started meds that is almost like I have to get used to a new me. My energy levels are good, numerous hypo symptoms gone, my hair is different, memory, well I am still loosing it, emotions are different.....

I am glad this board exists, it has helped me overcome many issues.

Mintchocolate

Closed Thread