It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2005, 11:29 AM   #1
(female)

tappyhappy HB User
Please help with my lab results

Though these seem normal by lab standards, my doctor still thinks it probably is my thyroid, it's just coming and going in waves so at times it's normal......i'm going for a uptake scan this week but these are the results

Thryoid Peroxidase Antibodies <2

T-3 Uptake 29 {22-35%}
T-4 (Thyroxine), Total 9.0 {4.5-12.5 MCG/DL}
Free T4 Index (T7) 2.6 {1.4-3.8}
TSH 1.58 {MIU/L}

What does the >20 YEARS 0.40-5.50 mean? is that the normal range for TSH?

This is all so weird considering the symptoms i'm having. Is it possible to have fluctuations and normal days while developing a problem?
Thanks for you input

I posted more stuff in the next post

Last edited by tappyhappy; 06-14-2005 at 01:19 PM.

Old 06-14-2005, 01:13 PM   #2
(female)

tappyhappy HB User
Re: Please help with my lab results

i'm just so frustrated bc even my doc and another doc in her office says all my symptoms seem to be thyroid related. The day i took those tests was one of the days i felt really good.
I've had symptoms coming and going of both hypo and hyper. Major hair loss, weight loss, nervousness, panic attacks, higher than my normal body temp. I've always ran in the 97's. Now i'm always in 98's or even 99's like today i was 99.1 after being in a 70 degree office for 45 minutes. I weigh 109, normally 113-115. Some days i cannot stop eating. Some days i have no appetite. Some days my heart rate is in the 50's. Other days i have was feel like palpitations and raciness. Dizzy sensations. Sometimes vertigo. LIghtheaded. Cannot concentrate nor remember things. Sometimes i can sleep for 15 hours, and other times i can't sleep at all.
Anyways, the hair loss is getting worse and worse though. My skin is always flaky. I just don't know, and i hate feeling as bad as i do sometimes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2005, 05:40 AM   #3

diatron HB User

From your symptoms, you could be hypothyroid, but you haven't had the right blood tests run to be able to tell. Of course some of these symptoms could be a reflection of lots of other diseases and conditions too such as low ferritin or anemia or low B12 levels.

If your doctor would run Free T3 and Free T4 tests along with your TSH, you would be able to tell a lot more about your thyroid status. Most people without thyroid disease have a TSH around 1-1.5 and no symptoms. Your symptoms sound like Hashimoto's thyroiditis where you will get hyper and hypo periods until your thyroid quits working entirely. Most people with Hashimoto's also have TPO antibodies, but you don't. Neither do I, but my doctor suspects Hashimoto's anyway.

And yes, the 0.4-5.5 range is for your TSH, although it is the old range. The American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists have recommended that the range be 0.3-3 since 2003. Many labs and doctors have not picked up on this yet. This range may also be too high because there may have been too many people with undiagnosed thyroid disease in the sample population used to determine the ranges. Any TSH reading above 2.5 should really have a trial of thyroid medications to see if an under active thyroid is causing the symptoms. Maybe your doctor would be willing to let you try 50 mcg of Levothyroxine for a couple of months to see if your symptoms subside.

Have you had your scan this week yet? Can you post the results? What does your doctor say?

Old 06-15-2005, 08:14 AM   #4
(female)

tappyhappy HB User

it's just crazy to me bc i've always been real small and thin...my mother and dad too......but now i'm getting thinner. I'm not sure when my scan is. They have to call me to let me know. I do go to get an EchoCardiogram friday bc she wants to make sure everything is okay with my heart (mitral valve prolapse is written on the referrel). Anyways...she said my iron levels were fine along with estrogen and progesterone levels. I have all the lab work here in my desk.
I find it warm in my office when everyone else has heaters on. I was always a cold type of person up until recently. I can be real hot, but my heart rate could be only 65 bpm at the time. I just want some answers.
So they didn't do a free t3 then? All i see they did was an uptake. My question is wil the thryoid uptake and scan show something maybe the labs didn't? Oh well, guess i need to be patient and know we'll find the answer one day. I just dont want to go for years with the symptoms i'm having before getting to the bottom of it.
Thank you for your concern and input, it's very very helpful and comforting.

Closed Thread