It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2005, 06:57 PM   #1

mimiblue HB User
Anyone tried apple cider vinegar???

Hi fellow sisters/brothers in thyroid disease:

I've been doing some reading about the benefits of taking apple cidar vinegar to speed up metabolism. Apparently it is effective for those who are hypo thyroid. Has anyone taken this and does it work? I've read it helps with both hairloss and metabolism (both of which I am having serious issues).
Any success.....drop me a line....

Mimi

Last edited by mimiblue; 06-14-2005 at 06:58 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2005, 07:11 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

shellshocked HB User
Re: Anyone tried apple cider vinegar???

Is that like "real" vinegar? How much do you have to take?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2005, 05:58 AM   #3

diatron HB User

I use apple cider vinegar for my salad dressings that I eat every day. I haven't found it has helped or hindered my thyroid disease. If you like the taste, go for it.

Old 06-15-2005, 07:55 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

pixiek HB User

It is funny you mentioned vinegar...it is all the rage here in Japan as a health benefit...for fatigue and I think digestion...there are all kinds of fruit flavors now....they say to take it with water or milk...personally I don't think I would take it with milk!

Old 06-15-2005, 09:37 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

merrillin HB User

I don't kow if I could do it at all. I just cleaned my coffee maker with a vinegar solution and the hosue smelled so bad. I can't imagine drinking something with vinegar in it.

But, if it helped with symptoms you just never know what I might do!

Karen

Old 06-15-2005, 11:17 AM   #6
(female)

Seastar HB User

A lot of alternative practitioners recommend apple cider vinegar for digestion. It's supposed to help you break down and assimilate nutrients more efficiently. I think they say to take a Tbsp in water before meals? Might be a different dose for thyroid though. It's supposed to be good for a host of health problems, but I've only tried it sporadically (for stomach help) and was never sure if it helped. It's much sweeter than regular vinegar so it really isn't too bad to drink when it's diluted, and easy enough to add to your diet if it helps. I hope it does, that would be great!

Old 06-15-2005, 01:09 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User

Hello! I've used raw apple cider vinegar on and off for years. It's reported to have a lot of health benefits. I personally can't attribute any positive benefits directly to the vinegar since I used it in combination with other supplements .

Regular vinegar is not good for you to take as a supplement and should only be used in small amounts in prepared foods. The vinegar has to be raw (that being the key word) apple cider vinegar. It is also sold in capsules so you do not have to taste/smell it (yes it smells just as awful as regular vinegar). Spectrum and Braggs both sell high quality raw apple cider vinegar if anyone is interested.

Love and Prayers, Kelly

P.S. I didn't know it was helpful for thyroid but it does make sense since it is used to increase metabolism. I used it for joint pain and to aid in slow digestion.

Old 06-15-2005, 01:17 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

shellshocked HB User

Thanks for the explanations. I was thinking you'd have to do "shots" of it. Uggghhh!

Old 06-16-2005, 07:08 AM   #9

mimiblue HB User

Hi guys....

I just bought some Braggs raw apple cider vinegar yesterday. It is not very pleasant tasting, but apparently really good for slow digestion/metabolism. I feel like a walking drug store. I'm also taking selenium, all the B vitamins, vitamin C, Iron (because my iron is quite low), salmon oil, and adrenal support (because my holistic doctor thinks my adrenals are overworked). It's alot to choke down at 6:30 in the morning.

Sometimes I wonder if my lifestyle contributed to my getting this disease or if it was programmed in my dna. I had almost too much energy for years....always had to be moving. Now it's hard for me to get up and go to work at 5:30 am three days a week (especially in the winter) ugghgh!

Talk to you later.

Mimi

Closed Thread