It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2005, 11:59 AM   #1
(female)

jesshack HB User
Tired and hungry ALL THE TIME.

Hi! I'm new here, I just scanned the messages briefly, and I swear I'll read more in a second!
The reason I looked for this forum is because I have a question. I am tired ALL THE TIME and hungry all the time. My thyroid levels came back at a 58 to begin with and now they're just below normal, says the doc. I'm on synthyroid. I drink water all day, about 100+ oz, and I stay away from sodas.
I also haven't been able to lose weight, despite getting exercise and eating right.
I just don't get it, and I don't know what to do!
Thanks for any info you can give me!
Jess

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2005, 01:13 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

shellshocked HB User
Re: Tired and hungry ALL THE TIME.

Was 58 your TSH level? What were your symptoms? Are they different from what what your symptoms were before? How long ago did your doctor tell you your levels were "normal".
What medicine and dose did he prescribe?
I'd get a copy of your lab work and post them here. There are people who can help you understand what might be going on.
Are you drinking lots of water to lose weight? Drinking too much water can lead to hyponatremia, which is excessively low levels of sodium in the blood. Over hydration symptoms can include lethargy, confusion, agitaion and seizures. Over hydration can also be mistaken for dehydration.
In the 2002 Boston Marathon, 13% of the runners were suffering from hyponatremia. One woman died.
Be careful!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2005, 02:02 PM   #3
(female)

jesshack HB User

[QUOTE=shellshocked]Was 58 your TSH level? What were your symptoms? Are they different from what what your symptoms were before? How long ago did your doctor tell you your levels were "normal".
What medicine and dose did he prescribe?
I'd get a copy of your lab work and post them here. There are people who can help you understand what might be going on.

I'll do that, I believe my docs will be in their office tomorrow. I didn't see the paperworks, the doctor just told me that when she ran my bloodwork for thyroid function, she said it basically was not functioning, and it was at a level of 58. I had 2 babies a year apart (the youngest will be 1 at the end of the month) and since then, my periods have been crazy or non-existant, I've felt sick, depressed, exhausted to the point I couldn't walk down the hall without major motivation, lots and lots of hair falling out, my hands feeling numb (not even sure if that was related), and I'm sure I'm missing something!
Thing is, though, she ran my blood function a few weeks ago, which is a few months after I'd been on the meds, and my levels have dropped to just below normal.
I am lost with this thyroid stuff, to be honest. I'll get a copy of the paperwork though!
Thanks! I appreciate the help!
Jess

Old 06-15-2005, 03:51 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

shellshocked HB User

I'm really sorry to hear all you've gone through. I thought I had it bad! I can relate to some of what you said about your levels being "normal". My doctors didn't do the test they should have and I have gone through heck for the last few years. It could be your doctor is "lost with this stuff too", and with you having to take care of your kids you need to find some answers quickly.
I'm sure other people who know more than I do will post. I've learned a lot by reading stuff here and other places.
One thing that helped me a bit is a B-complex vitamin. Right after I had my two kids, someone suggested I take one---and it helped. That was years ago. Not too long ago, someone suggested I take B-complex again, and when I did, I felt a little better. It's supposed to help with brain function and aid in metabolism. I wouldn't get anything outrageous---ask your pharamacist at your drug store.
Good luck!
Are you nursing by any chance? I was hungry when I was nursing---but even when I stopped I kind of got into the habit of eating lots and often.

Last edited by shellshocked; 06-15-2005 at 03:53 PM.

Closed Thread