It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2005, 01:16 PM   #1
(female)

fm9388 HB User
scared to death

Can someone please tell what a fine needle biopsy is like? I am scred to death. my doc said she dosen't numb or give anything before the procedure. Is this going to be painful?

Old 06-17-2005, 07:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: scared to death

Sorry your question went unanswered for two days. That hardly ever happens with an uncomplicated question.

The vast majority of people who've had an FNA have said that the idea of the biopsy was much worse than it turned out to actually be. I haven't had one myself, so I can't say from first-hand experience. But I suspect the people who had a hard time of it had an inept doctor doing the test.
As I said, most people sail through it without a hitch. There is a cream they can rub on the area before inserting the needle that should alleviate most of the discomfort. Ask for it if they don't offer it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2005, 12:01 PM   #3
(female)

hebbie HB User
Re: scared to death

I was feeling just how you are a few weeks ago before I had my FNA. I came here for encouragement and received advice. I was also told by my doctor that it wouldn't be numbed before the procedure. I was made aware on this board of the numbing cream. Well, much to my surprise, when I went to have it done, the doctor who was doing the FNA told me they do numb it with a shot of novicane type stuff. That completely put me at ease. The novicaine stung a little, but not too bad. The procedure itself was a little uncomfortable at times but really manageable and didn't take all that long-maybe 20 minutes?. I don't know what it would have felt like not being numb. If you go in and demand it to be numbed, then I would think they can't refuse that to you. I hope you feel a little more at ease. I think the majority of people I have talked to feel the same way-A little uncomfortable, but no biggy. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Closed Thread