It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2005, 06:24 PM   #1
(male)

van7771 HB User
Adrenal and Tyroid Labs results?

I have been experiencing the following symptoms: headaches, lightheaded and dizzy, nausea at times, stomach issues, cant gain muscle and feel real week at times, cant concentrate, muscle aches,agitated, no motivation, chills, oral temp is around 94-95.0 F. My symptoms continue to get worse. I had half of my throid memoved several years ago, the other half has a nodule that isnt cancerous. My docor has done the following tests and cant figure out whats wrong with me. Could anybody let me know if they see anything abnormal.

Normal
Renin, Plasma Acitvity: .2 (.4-4.5)
ACTH, Plasma 427 (5.0-60.0)
11-Doexycortisol, Serum 6662 (20-130)
11-Deoxycortisol, Serum LC/MS/MS 7074 (119 or less)
ACTH Stimulation;
Cortisol Baselin: 22.6 (4-22)
30 minutes 28.1
60 minutes 29.0
Testosterone 257 (241-827)

Alot of these tests look out of range to me, but not sure what to do.
l am male and 27 years old, my testosterone for my age doesnt look right either.

TSH 1.32 (.40-5.5)
T4 Free 1.2 (.80-1.8)
T-3 Free 317 (230-420)

I also have a strange sensation in my throat around my thyroid that hasnt been removed.
Any help would be very much appreciated.

Last edited by van7771; 06-15-2005 at 06:25 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2005, 06:33 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

pixiek HB User
Re: Adrenal and Tyroid Labs results?

Your symptoms sound like hypothyroidims to me and despite your "normal labs" it may not be normal to you. I had very normal labs but many symptoms as well. You might try a trial of (personally I would start with Armour (natural thyroid made from pigs glands and many see great benefits on it) as a trial dose. As long as your labs stay in and around the ranges, you can justify a trial dose to your doctor. Wouldn't hurt you to try....You might also want to be tested for the antibodies for Hashimotos disease and Graves while you are at it....you can have normal labs but if you have these antibodies, you can have symptoms still.

I am not sure about the other stuff...maybe some of the other male member can help out?

Old 06-15-2005, 07:04 PM   #3
(female)

sorrel2 HB User

Wait a second, didn't your doctor say anything to you about these results? What was his/her explanation? I know this is the thyroid board and people here might get on my case for saying this, but your thyroid stuff looks okay and I think that's NOT your main problem right now. The adrenal stuff is really NOT OKAY.

ACTH 427???? Not 42.7, right? That's really high.

11-deoxycortisol is a precursor to cortisol. Again, it's VERY high! There are no decimal pounts missing in those numbers either, I gather?

Your stimulation tests shows very little response, I think. I think cortisol would normally double post-stimulation. This means your adrenal function is poor.

I think your doc is checking you for adult-onset congenital adrenal hyperplasia, which is a disorder where the adrenals fail to convert precursors into cortisol. That results in high ACTH, high precursors, but low cortisol (and poor response to the stimulation test.) Your symptoms are consistent with low cortisol. Of course your baseline cortisol isn't low, it's high-normal (22.6 baseline.) 22.6 may look like a sort of "high" cortisol when looking at the normal range, but in relation to an ACTH of 427, and screamingly high precursors, it IS low. Am I making any sense here? That is, your pituitary is cranking out the ACTH trying to get your cortisol up, and your adrenals are trying to respond by cranking out the 11-deoxycortisol in astronomical amounts, but the best you end up with is a cortisol of 22.

Your testosterone looks a little low for your age but not alarmingly so (is "alarmingly" even a real word....?)

I am definitely no expert on this, I just have had similar issues and a lot of tests trying to figure things out. But if your doctor saw nothing abnormal in these results, you really need to find a new doctor.

Old 06-15-2005, 07:13 PM   #4
(male)

van7771 HB User

Thanks for the reply:
My doctor put me on florinef and coftef and my symptoms got worse, so l am affraid to try anything else, and yes those numbers are right, l agree l need a new doctor it just takes months to get an appointment. What has worked for you as far as medication?

Thanks again

Old 06-15-2005, 07:16 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Changedusername HB User

Your testoerone is probably a little low due to the thyroid and adrenal issue. You gotta get checked more thoroughly to see what's going on with those adrenal glands. Here's a few things to start your search: adrenal tumor, called "pheochromocytoma", Cushings Disease, Addison's Disease....

What's your story with regard to how you feel? Are you slow and sluggish? Panic attacks? Hows the blood pressure and pulse? Cholesterol level? Are you fat around the belly, like a beer belly sort of? Stretch marks across belly? Hump in the back of your neck at all?

Those labs are pretty out of wack if Im reading them correctly. There is something going on. Your doctor will need to dig deeper. I suggest a 24 hour catecholamine urine test (adrenal test, measures epinepherine, norepinepherine and dopamine) and may a sonogram or MRI of the adrenals. Keep us posted.

Old 06-15-2005, 07:23 PM   #6
(male)

van7771 HB User

l have asked my doctor to do an MRI of my Adrenal Glands but he says its not necessary. I am not feeling good at all to the point where living isnt fun anymore and l need to figure out whats going on and fast. I dont have a weight problem, however my weight does fluctuate some. I had an MRI if my Pituitary Gland and everything came back normal. I agree something isnt right l just wish l could find somebody who could help me and not tell me nothing is wrong.

Thanks for your reply.

Closed Thread