It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2005, 04:24 AM   #1
(female)

mstwisted1 HB User
I don't want surgery!

I'm a mess. I know it could be worse, but I am a mess. I have a multi nodular thyroid (one 1.5mm on the low left and ithsmus and 7-8 smaller on the upper right...all calcified). I have been on 100 mcg of levoxyl for about a year. I've had the big sucker hemmorage in on me (I'm a blues singer and I over did it one night). My function has been on the lower end of normal since day one. BUT...I am cold, don't sleep, overweight, dry skin, dry eyes, dry hair, thin hair, thin nails, depression, anxiety.....need I go on?

I had I biopsy in Dec. of '03 with no problems. The procedure itself went well despite my nervousness. No bruising, little pain afterward. Inconclusive result. This was done by an ENT. He wanted to take the left half out anyway. I paniced and got a second oppinion from an endrocrinologist. She disagreed and wanted to give me the levoxyl and monitor me. FINE WITH ME!

The next ultrasound showed NO evidence of nodes. So...I stopped the levoxyl on my own and ran away happy.

Well....it's back and it brought friends. And now they are calcified. I had a biopsy (sort of) on Thursday last week (she got the needle in 3x and got no sample). This one hurt WAY more than the first! She had to stop because I was flipping out so bad. Now she says it HAS to come out...the whole thing....because she can't monitor me for cancer.

I sing. It's who I am and what I do. I am terrified of this surgery. I know that my vocal muscles can be nicked. I know I will not be singing for a year after the surgery. If something goes wrong, they mind as well just kill me on the table. I am not being over dramatic.

I had to vent. I know the ultimate answer is "get it out". But I don't want to.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2005, 05:11 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Changedusername HB User
Re: I don't want surgery!

I have a feeling you will be singing in no time after surgery. My mom was gabbing away from day 1 after surgery and she sounds exactly the same. Vocal chord damage is pretty rare with this surgery if YOU USE AN EXPERIENCED SURGEON! They gotta do a ot of thyroid removals - at least 100 per year I've heard said to be a good limit. With a very skilled, very experienced surgeon, you significantly lessen your chances statistically of having post op problems.

Old 06-16-2005, 05:54 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

I agree---find a surgeon that does a high percentage of thyroid removals---that surgeon's statistics will be even better than the general statistics (which are low to begin with).

Didn't Rod Stewart have thyroid cancer---and have his thyroid removed?

I had a muscle removed along with my thyroid, and I couldn't sing (not that I was a professional or anything) until the internal inflammation went down, about 5-6 weeks later.

I understand why you are scared. Keep looking for a great thyroid surgeon---and I think you will do great.

Old 06-16-2005, 02:31 PM   #4
(female)

marissamm HB User

do find an experienced surgeon, vocal damage is rare but it happened to me in Dec. i had a tt dec 04 and couldn't talk,drink,cough for 2 months with diffuculty breathing, my vocal cords were parylized after surgery but thank God they are completely healed. i know it is a scary time but i am glad i had mine removed i had huge nodules on mine so if u find an experienced surgeon{mine was not} you should be ok.good luck

Old 06-18-2005, 04:45 PM   #5
(female)

Nodulated HB User

Hi there,

I just had my second surgery on June 14th and everything went well both times and my voice is 100%. I'm in the Boston area, so the hospitals are excellent. Where are you? Perhaps you could travel to the largest city close to where you live if you can't find a good surgeon...

My first surgeon was a general surgeon, but the second was an Ear, Nose and Throat oncologist (her card said Otolaryngologist), so that might be the route to take.

Have you had a fine needle aspiration or ultrasound? If there is any possibility of cancer it's best to go forward (I waited years myself and I'm still waiting to see if the cancer has spread at all - I wish I did it sooner). Again, vocal cord damage is rare, but I believe when it does happen, it's only temporary (at least that is what I've read here).

Let us know how things are going. Elaine

Old 06-20-2005, 05:42 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User

Yes! Make sure your surgeon does a lot of these in a month. When I went in for my surgery I was about the 4th person there that week. I had absolutely no problems.

Even if you have to drive somewhere to get it done, its worth it. Experience- tons of it- is a MUST.

Closed Thread