It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2005, 09:28 AM   #1
(female)

elite78 HB User
Hypo to hyper

Hello!

I had a question, can a person go from hypothyroid to hyperthyroid?

Thanks

Old 06-16-2005, 04:56 PM   #2
(male)

HisKid1973 HB User
Re: Hypo to hyper

I did.Hi. In 01/02 I went from sub acute in August to Hashi's by December. At the end of Dec. I was given some nuked iodine to do an uptake scan. A week later I was climing the walls and the doc says I'm hyper and stopped all meds and mellowed out.. Now by June 04 chronic fatigue returns and I am dx hypo and was doing good worked up to 2 grains armour by Feb. 05 I am chronically fatigued again and and hypo. I go thru this two weeks craving salt , voracious appitite and losings weight ..He tests says too much armour...(2 grains did well from Oct. 04 to Jan 05..) He says just do 1 grain I go back and he says thats perfect..Meanwhile I'm chronically fatigued, majorly heat intolerant (in Fl..) I cant be out more that 10 min in the heat ,it makes my chest tight and feel overwhelmed.. Back to weight gain, swollen neck,lump in throat( Doc says it's my GERD , which got majorly worse) insomnia and heat palps. Not sure where I am at but I have Endo next Thurs.. On other issue I have mom who had pituitary and thyroid probs and 4 sisters that are hypo and on synthroid.. One sister has major auto immune probs like diabetes ,rhumatoid aurthritis and lupus..So I don't what what all to check for..Anyway yes I go from hypo to hyper..God Bless..kim

Jesus is coming soon..R U ready..

Last edited by HisKid1973; 06-16-2005 at 04:57 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2005, 09:05 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

shellshocked HB User

I have the problem of fluctuating thyroid function----and I believe it's because the nature of the disease.
If the thyroid gland is the gland that controls and regulates the body's organs and systems, then if you are hypo and you get enough thyroid med, you could go hyper---because your own thyroid is being stimulated by the thyroid you are taking.
I told my doctor that my thyroid function would "kick on and off", and he told me that it was impossible.
2 1/2 years later, I have labs to prove it: 60 Armour TSH---1.478 (or close to that), six weeks later on 120 Armour TSH----0.122, six weeks later 90 Armour TSH---4.???.
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that there is no correlation between the dose of medicine I'm taking, and the TSH levels. My thyroid had to be "doing it's own thing". I'm not a doctor, but I know my body better than anyone else---and I felt great on 120 Armour. They thought it was too high.

Old 06-16-2005, 11:57 PM   #4
(male)

Pavell HB User

Well it is really a puzzling question: I was just diagnised with subclinical hypothyroism (TSH 6.1, free T4 normal) still I lost 8 kg in last two months and I am constantly hungry (even if I eat a lot) (hyper signs)...I do not get how this can be...

Old 06-20-2005, 04:21 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

cossette2 HB User

I've gone from hypo to hyper too and going to the bathroom a lot more and craving salty foods too and the worse part is my mind seems to be going so quick and I feel like climbing the walls. Trouble is i still have the hypo symptoms to go with it.....tired, brain fog, poor memory, irritable, ringing in the ears, moods swings, low body temp (BBT yesterday was 93.9) and low blood pressure......yuck....I sure hate this big time. Funny thing is a week ago I was starting to feel good.

Old 06-20-2005, 05:10 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User

Hi its not unusual for hypo to go undxn before eventually turning hyperthyroid.

Closed Thread