It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2005, 03:11 PM   #1

mimiblue HB User
Questions for vetrans about thyroid disease....

Hi everyone. First....I would like to thank those of you who respond to my post. You make a huge difference.

A little background info: I have a goiter with two nodules...don't know if it's hashi's or what. I just know I go from hypo to hyper...mostly hypo, though(I usually have about two hyper episodes a year the rest of the time I am hypo). My tsh is all over the place (but within range). I don't think my frees have EVER been tested and I don't want to ask my self righteous condescending doctor another question. So.....I'm relying on you folks;

1. I would like to know why thyroid disease makes us lose our hair.

2. I would like to know whether or not a kelp supplement helps. I've been doing some reading and apparently kelp is beneficial for those who are hypo. Like I said...I have no idea whether I have hashi's...just know that I swing back and forth. During my research I found that kelp can be detrimental to those who have hashi's. It may aggravate the hypo or hyper symptoms. I would like to take some, but I am afraid I may react adversly considering I have many hashi's symptoms. Down to the question......Has anyone heard anything about kelp and hashi's?

Please excuse my ignorance. I'm relying completely on my own research. I know nothing about ranges other than tsh. My doc has no sympathy for me and did not even do me the courtesy of explaining what I have. I think I may have to buy a book....how sad.

Thanks for your help.

Mimi

Last edited by mimiblue; 06-16-2005 at 03:12 PM. Reason: brain fog.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2005, 07:14 PM   #2
(female)

Seastar HB User
Re: Questions for vetrans about thyroid disease....

Mimi,

Wish I had more answers for you but I'm relatively new to this myself. Before I started being treated by an md, a holistic doc told me to take kelp supplements for hypothyroidism, which I did. My thyoid levels are worse since then, although I don't know if it's related but my new thyroid doc told me NEVER to take kelp because that would exacerbate my symptoms (I have hashis and a goiter). So much conflicting information out there!

I'm sorry that your doctor is so terrible! Finding one who actually listens, explains and cares is like finding a needle in a haystack. I've learned a lot through doing my own research too, so please know that you are not alone in this! Best of luck and health on your journey,
A

Old 06-18-2005, 04:59 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

shellshocked HB User
Re: Questions for vetrans about thyroid disease....

Thyroid Disease for Dummies is good. I read it while I sipped a diet-coke at my local Barnes and Noble. It helped affirm that I was not crazy.
I had the same problems with going from hypo to hyper. I just about killed myself trying to find a doctor who would listen to me and not write me off as a knucklehead.
I told my doctor that my thyroid was "kicking on and off" by itself. He told me that that was impossible.
It is totally possible. The best thing I did was to find a doctor that treated me like an intelligent human being.
I don't know why thyroid disease makes hair fall out---maybe there's an answer in that book.
I just started taking selenium---I don't believe a lot of what I read---but I am giving it a shot. It's only been a couple of days---so the jury is still out.
I am post-menopausal so I am on estradiol patch, I take a mega B vitamin and alternate it with a sublingual B complex---that helps with metab and brain function, and I take DHEA.

Closed Thread