It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2005, 07:32 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User
Pregnancy and testing frequency

Hello! Well, I'm pregnant once again. It was entirely unintentional; I ovulated a week early and didn't realize it . I'm happy to be pregnant again but had hoped to have my thyroid problems under control first.

Since I do not have them under control at this point I'm a little nervous. I'm wondering how often I should have my levels tested and if I'm in need of an immediate increase in dosage. I just had my dosage increased a week ago but haven't noticed a difference. My FT4 levels were lower than they had been since last September (I was pregnant and they were .64; I miscarried at 17 weeks). They're .9 (.8-1.8 range) right now.

I'd like to go to a reproductive endo but am concerned that they'll tell me my levels look fine and I'll be worse off than I was before! I was also told there's a 4-6 month wait which renders it useless in my situation (if I could make it that far into a preg then I wouldn't need to see the endo!!).

Any advice would be appreciated. I contacted my PCP and am waiting for them to call me back. I feel though that you guys are far more knowledgeable (he's actually a physician's assistant).

Love and Prayers, Kelly

Old 06-17-2005, 11:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Pregnancy and testing frequency

Congratulations, Kelly! My positive thoughts are being sent your way for a successful pregnancy.

Mary Shomon writes in her book that many guidelines say levels should be checked during each trimester. Because of timing though, many women don't get in for their first prenatal until the first trimester is almost half over, and she suggests that that might be too late.
She learned officially that she was preg at 3 weeks post-conception and was tested 2 weeks after that. In those 5 weeks, her TSH had gone from 1.4 to 3, probably due to the estrogen overload of early preg'y. Her endo slightly increased her dose to keep things on an even keel, and she successfully delivered on time.
So the way it sounds, you probably should get checked as soon as you can to see if your TSH is rising, or if your FT4 is falling.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread