It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2005, 10:12 AM   #1
(female)

jrzgirl1 HB User
thyroid recovery and restrictions

what to expect from pre op to post recovery

Old 06-17-2005, 02:34 PM   #2
(female)

kaatluvr HB User
Re: thyroid recovery and restrictions

Pre-op: met twice with the surgeon and thoroughly discussed what he planned to do, the surgery, recovery, etc. Answered all my questions. Had chest xray and lab work done. Signed lots of paperwork. Night before surgery, nothing to eat or drink after midnight. Morning of surgery - went to hospital, got into gown and fashionable hat and slippers. Lots of attention from nurses who took blood pressure, asked questions and hooked up IV. Met with anesthesiologist who answered all my questions. Wheeled into OR, next thing I knew I was waking up, not remembering anything!

post-op: Took me to my room (shared with another thyroid surgery patient), hooked up to monitors and IVs. I could get up (with help) after an hour or so, but had to take my IV cart with me. Liquid diet that day and night. Lots of waking up to take my vital signs. Slept most of the day. Visits from my doctor (2 x). Second day I could eat normal food. Visit from doctor, unhooked from IV's, could walk around the surgical floor by myself. Still lots of monitoring of vital signs by nurses (even tho I was OK). Next morning, told I could leave! Yipee!! Doctor came by, removed my "drain" from incision, given instructions on taking care at home, prescriptions for pain pills (which I didn't use). Left for home around noon, and was very glad to be home where there was more peace and quiet!

I was very scared before the surgery - and that was really the worst part - worrying before.

Hope this helps,
Scarlett

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread