It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2005, 07:15 PM   #1
(female)

gnp HB User
Had surgery june 15

The surgery went well. They did a total on the left partial on the right and removed the istmus( part that connects the 2 thyroids). Today was my first full day home. Lots of congestion to get rid of. Taking percocet and augmentin. My main pain is headaches. From the moment I woke from surgery. They are quit wicked. Don't care to talk or move neck much. Lots of pulling and tugging. I use my hands to lower and lift my head when resting. I do keep getting these spasms or contractions on the left side of my neck. They hurt, take my breath away for a minute. The cut is itchy, burny and sore. Everyone else is talking about taking some meds. I'm not on anything. I see my doc. on the 24th. Will he put me on something then or no because I still have part of my thyroid on the right.

Nancy

Old 06-18-2005, 12:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

wxKathy2 HB User
Re: Had surgery june 15

Hi Nancy,
I've not had surgery - but just wanted to say I'm glad it went well and that it's over and wish you a speedy recovery!! I'll keep you in my thoughts!
Take care,
Kathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2005, 07:49 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

merrillin HB User

Nancy,

I too wanted to wish you well! I am glad it is behind you. I have a consultation with a surgeon on Thursday so we shall see. Can I ask what made you decide to go ahead and have your removed.

I have 2 nodules........on on the left lobe and one in the isthmus. Sounds like your case and was curious what prompted you to have surgery.

Thanks,,
Karen

Old 06-18-2005, 09:13 AM   #4
(female)

gnp HB User

Karen,

When I went in for an asthma attack on 4/1/05 is when they discovered something on my chest x-ray. Had a u/s and found out I had a mass on the left 4cm one on the right 2cm and a thickened isthmus. Of course to understand that word I had to look up geography to get definition. The biopsy said it was malignant, so it was a no brainer. Though don't be upset it took 3 weeks before I could get in for surgery. Look up my name gnp and you can read a copy of my u/s results. I posted them somewhere between 4/1 and 6/1. I hope this is helpful. I know that this site is. best of luck and keep us posted. Today it is still itchy, sore and spasms. Starting to bruise now. Thank god my husband has been an angel and is letting me sleep and get lots of rest. Holding your head up is great for your posture, but a real pain if your not used to that position. Swallowing anything is a concsious effort. You don't take anything for granted.

nancy

Old 06-18-2005, 03:21 PM   #5
(female)

jrzgirl1 HB User

Glad to hear your surgery is over, wishing you a speedy recovery. I am having a Total thyroiectomy on July 7th, not looking forward to it, I will only have some one to help me for three days, 1 day before and 2 days after I get home, my husband cannot take off from work with pay so I will be basically by myself, my dog Kristy cannot cook LOL, don't know what I will do as far as cooking, bathing etc, any suggestions, sounds like you are going through a rough recovery or is this a normal?

Old 06-19-2005, 09:51 AM   #6
(female)

Waimea HB User

Nancy ~

I had a total thyroidectomy on June 10th and it took me almost a full week to start feeling like myself again. I agree with you on the incision... it is sore and itchy, but looks good (not red or swollen any longer). I'm still really tired. I was on Percocet for 6 days and stopped taking them cold turkey. I feel much better since I've stopped taking the pain meds. I still am sore, but I don't feel as "out of it" as I did. I had headaches for a few days and the doctor told me that it could be due to the pain medication. I still have small headaches, but nothing like they were! I also am not on any hormone replacement yet. I have an appointment to see my surgeon tomorrow to get the final pathologist report (to see if it was cancer) and they have indicated to me that whether it is cancerous or not, they will probably make me wait for approx. 6 weeks to begin any thyroid hormone replacement so that all of my natural hormones are gone and they can balance my levels easier.

Good luck and don't get too down, you will start to feel better soon.

Waimea

Old 06-19-2005, 03:11 PM   #7
(female)

gimpydimp HB User
Post Op coughing and throat clearing, normal?

I had my surgery June 16. I am finding I have a tremendous amount of throat congestion and phelgm. I clear my throat literally every 4th or 5th breath. Is this normal post surgery? Is it caused by the intubation? I was intubated twice because I had to go back to the OR for bleeding. Wondered if others can say when this starts to clear up. I am afraid I might pop a staple or screw up my drain holes with all this throat clearing and stiffled coughing.

Old 06-20-2005, 06:45 AM   #8
(female)

gnp HB User

Suprisingly, I really didn't need my husband that much. More peace and quiet if anything. My two little ones went to day care the day after I came home, so I told him to go to work, but he stayed home anyway. I could eat solids slowly the day after, but not much appetite, more thirst. Anything I did eat I got myself. Fruit was very good to have. I could just pop it in my mouth and its good for you. Most of the time you will be sleeping during the day. Just remember to use your hands to lift and lower your head. After your drain is removed and you are sent home, you'll figure a way to sleep on your side, we all do. Lots of pillow positioning. July 7 is a thursday, you'll come home on friday probably. You'll need a family member to bring you home if your husband can't or just ask for a later release time. By monday you will be functioning, but carefully.

I'll be thinking about you.

Nancy

Old 06-20-2005, 06:47 AM   #9
(female)

gnp HB User

thanks for info, very helpful

Nancy

Old 06-20-2005, 07:07 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

merrillin HB User

Nancy, your surgery success has given me great peace of mind. I am seeing my ent on Thursday to see if we can get this thing out or at least get his opinion. I never even thought of him. Someone on this wonderful board suggested it.

You story has given me great peace! Best of luck and glad your recovery was so good.

Karen

Old 06-21-2005, 06:23 PM   #11
(female)

gnp HB User

I must admit, the waking up part freaked me out also. On that end there is nothing any of us can do expect pray. As you may be aware from reading/seeing news just about anything can put us in a catatonic state. I actually went as far as to make a living will. That Schiavo case really puts things in perspective. I was scared before my surgery, but now that it's done it's like o.k. thats over. Mine was also papillary cancer per my biopsy, but after surgery they said it was benign. Who knows what it is at this point. I'm not looking for the worse, but I'm not ready to brush this under the carpet. You can't tell me it's one thing and then tell me it's another. I have read that after the surgery they send the mass out to be biopsied. Then I will know more. My first dr. visit after surgery is friday. Can't wait, want info.

Nancy

Old 06-21-2005, 07:43 PM   #12
(female)

Waimea HB User

Hi ~

I had my TT on 6/10 and was told before that the needle biopsy came back positive for hurthle cell cancer, but said that it may or may not actually be cancer. I said, "What does that mean exactly?!..?" The way my doctor explained it to me is that there were hurthle cells present, but they would not actually know if they were active or dormant cells until they removed the thyroid/nodules and sent it all in for a complete biopsy. I found out yesterday that it was benign and that the cells were dormant ~ thank God!!
I began my Synthroid today and am hoping for the best.

As far as the actual surgery, it's important to trust and believe in your doctor. I had a fantastic surgeon and went into it feeling positive. I was a bit anxious at first, but just trusted. What else could I do? I requested something for nausea before and after surgery (before entering the recovery room) because I have been nauseous before and I was great afterwards, just tired and out-of-it from the anesthesia. It's now been a week and other than being tired, I feel great!!

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

Waimea

Old 06-22-2005, 07:29 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

merrillin HB User

Carleen,
I am facing possible thyroid surgery myself. I understand your concerns. I just wanted to assure you that you are not alone. I have had several surgeris in my 41 years and actually have always done quite well with anethesia. I always have no troulbe afterwards and usually wake up rather quickly so I am trying to focus on previous times. Have you had surgery before? My best friend just had back surgery and worried herself sick over being put to sleep and made out a will. I guess if you have not had surgery by the time you are an adult, you have nothing to go on as to what it is like.

It will seem so fast to you. You will be given the meds to knock you out and it will seem like a minute later you will here the nurse saying your name to wake you up. It seems so quick and you cannot believe that a few hours have passed. I have never felt sick after anesthesia or had any problems and it is weird how you all of the sudden wake up in recovery and it isi all over. It is a very comforting feeling. If you have not had surgery I hope this helps just a tad in knowing how it is,

Karen

Old 06-22-2005, 07:48 AM   #14
(female)

jrzgirl1 HB User

Why does it seem almost everyone has a problem with coughing and congestion, that scares me, also the drain, what can I expect, surgery is 2 weeks from tomorrow,getting more and more nervous, I pray and God is really the great physcian. I am a Christian and have many people praying for me, more than I know.

( - removed - )

Last edited by moderator2; 06-22-2005 at 12:29 PM. Reason: please read and follow the posting rules

Closed Thread