It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2005, 08:29 AM   #1
(female)

gimpydimp HB User
Just home from June 16 surgery

I had my right lobe completey removed on Thursday I had a large hyperplasia follicular adenoma (benign) removed from the back of my right lobe -- a strange presenation he said -- and the entire left lobe left in. My vocal cord nerve was entangled in the tumor and it was a long difficult dissection evidently. In the recovery room I developed a serious bleed and had to go back to the OR, be put under general a second time, second intubation, but that was cauterized and everything was normal after that. Because of the vocal cord involvement I am having a hard time not choking on liquids although semi-solid food goes down fine (puddings, cottage cheese, etc.) The doctor said that is another issue with vocal cord involvement you don't hear about as much -- can't swallow liquids for a while.

Feeling tired but so glad to be disconnected from tubes!!

Glad it's over!

Old 06-18-2005, 08:49 AM   #2
(female)

marissamm HB User
Re: Just home from June 16 surgery

sorry to hear about your vocal cords, i had a tt in dec 04 my became paralized , for 2 months i could not talk, drink or cough, i used a liquid thickner you can buy at a pharmacy, and i also saw a speech pathologist who helped me with vocal excersise, it was also hard to breathe but i am fine now with no lasting problems good luck with your healing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2005, 08:50 AM   #3
(female)

marissamm HB User

also when you drink tuck your chin down and in that helped me a little .

Old 06-18-2005, 09:50 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

merrillin HB User

gimpy.
I am sorry you had some dificulties but glad it is behind you! Are you feeling ok otherwise?

I too have been diagnosed with a rather large follicular adenoma and according to what I have read of late they cannot be determined for sure if they are benign or not til they are removed. I am scheduled to see a surgeon on Thursday for his opinion.

I am so tired of dealing with this nodule and really am hoping it can be removed.

Do you feel better just having that thing out of your neck? I mean I have so much discomfort at times that I am really anxious to not have it there.

rest easy

Karen

Old 06-18-2005, 10:28 AM   #5
(female)

gimpydimp HB User

Thanks for the swallowing advice. It is getting better quickly. I am sipping some lovely iced tea at the moment, a little sip at a time.
It is not a painful recovery at all. I have had several other surgeries: knee ligament reconstruction, hysterectomy, tonsils and this is not even comparable in terms of post-op pain. It's much less painful than those. It's a bit ugly to have this big scar. He put it over my collarbone rather than right above it for some reason. I am wearing bandanas around my neck to save my family the view and actually it's almost a fashion statement here.
I feel much better knowing this thing is gone. I have had it, in various sizes, for 12 years and it was now impinging on my esophagus and causing me problems swallowing before the surgery. I look forward to feeling a whole lot better. Although right now I can sort of feel a dull ache where it was, I can also feel that it's NOT there in some way.

Closed Thread