It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2005, 08:57 AM   #1
(female)

Trish558 HB User
TPO Question

Recently I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's. For many months I had felt awful.....brain fog, no memory, fatique, headaches, aches and pains. I felt a stingling feeling all through my body. I felt like I was plugged into an electric current and losing my mind. A few months ago, when swallowing, I discovered 2 lumps in my neck. I went to my doctor and she scheduled a thyroid scan, some type of thyroid blood test and then a followup blood test. I'm not sure about the first test, but the second test was a TPO. I was told that the first test showed a slightly low thyroid function. I believe the number was 4.4. The TPO test which I understand should be in the range of 0-35 was 2,186! I've not read much on the boads about the TPO test. Can anyone tell me if the results I got for the TPO are consistant with what the rest of you may have had?? I'm now under the care of an endo. I am taking .50 of levothroid each day and will be going back to deal with the nodule and cyst they say I have. I've been on the meds for 2 wks now and feeling only slightly improved. I'd appreciate any information you could give me. Thanks!

Old 06-18-2005, 09:45 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

merrillin HB User
Re: TPO Question

The TPO test was to check your antibody levels. Obviously they are quite high indicating that your most likely have hashimoto's thyroiditis an autoimmune disease that attacks the thyroid.

The nodules themselves are usually from this disease but it is best to have them scanned or biopsied to make sure. Either way it is not painful and well worth it for the answers.

Keep us posted and there is a wealth of info on this board.

Karen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2005, 03:14 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: TPO Question

TPO antibodies are the most common cause of hypothyroidism. After that, they really aren't as important as you'd think. Certainly the number isn't important. The lab that ran my test only counts to 70, then stops... because 70 is enough to confirm that the antibody level is sufficient to be causing Hashi's.
For people whose labs count each and every antibody, higher numbers don't mean those people are sicker than people with lower numbers, because symptoms don't correlate directly with antibody counts. I suppose, but don't know for sure, that higher numbers might destroy the thyroid gland faster than lower numbers. That's just conjecture on my part.

The only time TPO antibodies are of extreme importance is during pregnancy. High numbers are known to cause miscarriage, stillbirth, and pre-term labor.

Taking selenium in foods or supplement form has been proven to sometimes reduce the number of TPO ABs. It can't hurt, unless you take too much. Don't exceed 100-200 mcgs per day and you'll be alright.

Your dose is a starter dose for most people. It isn't surprising you've seen little improvement in two weeks. The full effect of a dose of T4 med isn't completely felt until 6 weeks after it's started. If you need a higher dose then, you'll need another 6 weeks to see what it will do for you. It typically takes a matter of months... not days or weeks.... to find the right dose that will eliminate all symptoms and stabilize hormone levels.

Hope that answered some of your concerns.

Closed Thread