It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2005, 01:17 PM   #1
(female)

MrsSportcat HB User
Is it safe to try for a baby with my levels?

I had my entire thyroid removed 4/5/05 (no cancer was found) and have been taking my starter dose of synthroid for 8 weeks (0.1mg). Well, I went to have my first set of labs done since my surgery and my surgeon said my levels were okay and that he didn't really think I needed an adjustment. He released me from his care and told me that my primary care doctor can monitor me from now on. I was really surprised because I thought it would take much longer to get me at the right levels. Well I requested a copy of my labs and they showed the following numbers:

TSH (3rd generation)
Levels - 0.026
Range - 0.35 - 5.50 MCIU/ML

To me that looks like I'm slightly hyper. Am I reading that right? At the time I had my labs done it had been 8 weeks since my surgery so I can't imagine I would have any natural thyroid hormones left in me.

My husband and I want to try for a baby but I'm not sure if it is safe because I'm slighly out of my range. Yet on the other hand my surgeon said I was okay. I'm going to make an appointment with my doctor, but thought I would come here and ask also.

Thanks!
Stacy

Old 06-18-2005, 03:25 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Changedusername HB User
Re: Is it safe to try for a baby with my levels?

You need a Free T3 and Free T4 test tobe sure, particularly after surgery and yes, that number is slightly hyper, increasing the need for those additional tests to see exactly where you are at.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2005, 03:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

IMO, TSH is no longer relevant for you because your thyroid is gone. The only purpose for TSH is to spur the thyroid into making thyroid hormone. That's a moot point now. You're getting your supply of hormone from your pill.

For anyone, TT or not, TSH is not the number to watch to regulate a dose. My own TSH is currently .01, but I'm not hyper because my FTs are within range.
You must find out what your FT4 and FT3 are, as nastyhashi says.
To sustain a pregnancy, FT4 should be within the upper third of its lab range, so I'd advise getting that tested before TTC.

Old 06-18-2005, 07:36 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User

Hello! I've had five miscarriages: three that I believe were caused by my hypoT if not all of them (undiagnosed and untreated at the time). My lab values are in the "normal" range but for me that's not good enough. My FT4 levels are still low and I've read that for optimal fertility health they should be in the upper third of the range (for me that's above 1.5 since my lab range is .8-1.8; mine are currently 0.9).

I'm pregnant again (unintentional but happy about it anyway ) but a little nervous because my levels aren't very good yet. I would recommend a reproductive endo if there is one nearby. I'd like to take my own advice but there's a long waiting list which makes going there moot since if I could make it to four months and still be pregnant I probably wouldn't need to go .

Anyway, I strongly recommend what the others have said: ignore the TSH and get your FT4 into the upper third of the range.

If you are truly hyper your periods would most likely be nonexistant and you wouldn't even be considering TTC since you wouldn't be cycling. I personally bled for three weeks out of every cycle when my FT4 levels were at their lowest (had an ovarian cyst burst which ended up okay but then hemorraged during my last period...not fun!!). So the thyroid has potential to wreak havoc on the rest of your hormones as well.

I hope that it won't be a long wait for you but I really believe that it's worth the wait to start a pregnancy as healthy as possible. I was kind of sprung into this one and it's a little nerve-wracking. Having my hormones leveled out would have added some peace of mind.

Love and Prayers, Kelly

Closed Thread