It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2005, 10:58 AM   #1

Julzy HB User
Need a Diagnosis- Feel like death....

This is my first post. Hopefully someone can offer some insight.
I am 38 yo F with a history of fibromyalgia, orthostatic hypotension and hypoglycemia. Last summer I got my first kidney stone. I was very ill and ended up having shock wave therapy to blast it up. Since then, I have had symptoms of GI upset (now constant nausea and diahrea), bone pain, join pain, shakes, thirst, urinary frequency. I have had 4 more kidney stones in the last month. I have been in the ER countless times in pain. I have had all kinds of bloodwork done - all my CBC came back normal and neg ANA titer. I am going to an endocrinologist this week to have them test my thryoid and parathyroid. I am constantly nauseous, always thirsty, always peeing!, and have a lot of muskuloskeletal pain. I am not diabetic and have ben tested several times - esp in the ER. I am beginning to suspect my parathyroid since it affects calcium regulation which would cause all of these symptoms. My urologist (who has been managing my stones) thinks nothing of it. (all the tests are normal, so I get treated like a crazy hypochondriac!)

Before my symptoms got bad, I did have the following tests done Jan 05:

T-4 Free 1.1 range .8-1.8
TSH .5 range .4-5.5

I realize my TSH suggests I am hyper, but it is stil considered "normal". In the last week I can barely eat, am so tired I can hardly get up, dizzy at times, and always thirsty. I do get hungry occassionally, but when I eat I feel sick again. My temp upon waking is 97.2 and gets as high in the eve of 99.6. I feel like I am plugged into an outlet, like my heart is on overdrive even though it is beating normally (I do have intermittent PVC's ). I need to save myself from this hell. Can anyone offer insight?

Thanks!

Julz

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2005, 12:32 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Changedusername HB User
Re: Need a Diagnosis- Feel like death....

I assume you've had your calcium and parathyroid hormone levels tested by now? Parathyroid disease is called "stones, bones, moans and groans" disease and sure sounds a lot like what you're going through but it would usually turn up as a low or high calcium number, dpending on your particular problem. The kidney stones part is particularly important for parathyroid problems but they MUST have checked that and hopefully ruled that out by now I hope. You havce one of your calcium labs handy? Calcium in normal individuals barely fluctuates and is in a very tight range all the time. Any deviation from that range and there's usually a problem and its usually linked to parathyroid. Any doc who treated you for stones must have though Calcium and if he thought calcium, he thought parathyroid...that's why I find it odd.

As for your thyroid issues, it sounds a lot like Hashi's and I would test my antibodies. I got a wicked case myself and go through those ups and downs even though my numbers are considered normal most of the time. Body temp is a good indicator. If its high, your hyper, if its low, your hypo. I go through the same exact things.

Last edited by nastyhashi; 06-19-2005 at 12:38 PM.

Old 06-19-2005, 01:54 PM   #3

Julzy HB User

I had a 24 hr urine a week ago but no results yet. In the ER they never told me what my calcium was, and I didnt know enough to ask at the time. Since I posted my first post, the left side of my face is now numb. I hate the ER, but I dont know where else to go. Is having to pee constantly (and large volumes) a thryoid thing?

Old 06-19-2005, 01:59 PM   #4

Julzy HB User

Oh, and Nastyhashi...about the temperature. I can never get warm...my temp always seems low, but my TSH is low, and I have the anxiety and loose bowels of hyper symptoms. I don't get it? I also have trouble swallowing, severe dry mouth and dry eyes.

What is the thyroid antibody test?

Old 06-19-2005, 03:23 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User

Hello! Sheesh, you sound like me before treatment with the exception of the kidney stones. I just wanted to say that there is hope! I felt much like you're describing for about a year and a half (you're right it's like death only I think death would have been preferable at the time ).

I feel like a new person since treatment. I have rough spots now and then when my meds need to be increased but I'm feeling worlds better! I only started treatment 8 weeks ago and am so glad that I pushed for it (my levels are in the normal range according to the lab which has outdated info).

I'm not surprised that you're feeling hypo with your FT4 that low (mine was 1.1 with the same range when I first started testing to find out what was wrong with me).

I hope your upcoming tests will be revealing. I'm sorry I'm not more knowledeable but I'm new to all of this as well. I sure can relate though.

Love and Prayers, Kelly

Closed Thread